It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Calls for an EU army

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 04:23 AM
link   

Calls for an EU army

news.bbc.co.uk

An influential Polish member of the European parliament has called for the EU to develop "hard power" and spend more money to build a European army.

Foreign affairs committee chairman Jacek Saryusz-Wolski also wants the European parliament to have the final say on deployments under the EU flag.

The French have said beefing up the EU's military capability will be a key part of their six-month presidency.

The BBC has been told their plans also include a new EU military headquarters.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.bbc.co.uk

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 04:23 AM
link   
I'm not sure I like where this is going. For European defence, we have NATO. For expeditionary operations I see no reason why we can't dispatch forces together when necessary (a command system like the one used in Afghanistan could be used), rather than having to create (and pay for) another layer of bureaucracy in Brussels 'just in case'.

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 04:54 AM
link   
Maybe Europe does not want to rely on Nato (or moreover some if it's bigger member countries not based in Europe) in the coming years. With the US looking increasingly more likely to be tied up even more in the middle east, a solely European defense force could bring some much needed unity in the EU?

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 04:57 AM
link   
The new lisbon treaty creates in essence an EU army
However if a member state does not want to put a % of their forces into it they dont have to , and if they do and the EU army is called to fight, they can call their troops out at any time

[edit on 6-6-2008 by Disgustipated]

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 05:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Ste2652

We have to understand that Europe regardless of what sheeple and politicians tell us, there WILL BE a united Europe. We will have a centralized government, we will have a united defense, we will be forced to swear allegiance not to our "nationality" but to the USE.

And then we will be sending our kids and grandkids to death against our leaders' imaginary / selfmade enemies.

The new lisbon treaty creates in essence an EU army
However if a member state does not want to put a % of their forces into it they dont have to , and if they do and the EU army is called to fight, they can call their troops out at any time

But if they can work around avoiding population to vote on this treaty then they can work around all those prohibitions along the way. I bet they will... spoonfed slowly, we'll grow fat and trusting.

[edit on 6/6/08 by flice]

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 05:06 AM
link   
One Country.

One Currency.

One Bank.

One Army.

One Order.

European Union.

Cradle of the New World Order.

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 05:57 AM
link   
I have sworn a military oath to Finland. I'm not going to swear an oath to EU, I will rather die simply put. In all seriousness, if i will be called for an OFFENSIVE war against some other country, i will refuse even if i will be shot. Only time when i would go to war against any country is, if it would be a defensive war against oppressor like Russia or USA.

I refuse to fight the war for corporations, i rather move to north pole and live there by my self or amazons forests lol. I thinkt the EU has gone too far now, we are not allowed to demonstrate against the EU either, after this treaty goes through. I WILL DEMONSTRATE, and there will be a civil war if my people are not allowed to demonstrate, I BOW TO NO ONE!

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 06:15 AM
link   
Saw that one coming.Probably to fight a war with the Chinese and their allies the Russians .Europe could have some big battlefields on it.

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 06:20 AM
link   
NATO is dead.
The union in Europe killed off NATO. European nations already work as one bloc in NATO, America has accused Europe of creating a "second NATO" within NATO.

The European Union would like all American bases off European land, we need to understand the EU project is about creating an independent power in the world. Not a neutral zone between the United States and Russia.

With the US looking increasingly more likely to be tied up even more in the middle east, a solely European defense force could bring some much needed unity in the EU?

Asnivor, it is not the unity which you are thinking about. It is not about getting member states to heal after Iraq, no, it is about building a federal Europe.

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 06:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Souljah
One Country.

One Currency.

One Bank.

One Army.

One Order.

European Union.

Cradle of the New World Order.

Sounds similar to

Ein Reich

Ein Volk

Ein Fuhrer

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 07:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by FaxMachine
I have sworn a military oath to Finland. I'm not going to swear an oath to EU, I will rather die simply put.

LOL!!! This comment is made rather amusing by the fact that right now, the Nordic Battlegroup is the current "EU army" on standby: Finland is a part of it.

The next European Battlegroups coming into effect is the French-German Battlegroup and the British Battlegroup, with HQ in Paris but led by the Germans.

Creating a regular EU army is just an extension of this system.

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 07:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Ste2652

Ah yes, Afghanistan... Where the Germans don't want to fight and don't go out after dark, citing their constitution as to why they cannot help their British, Danish and Dutch bretheren fight in the South. Afghanistan is a sign of the failure of NATO and the current force structure that the nations work against.

At least with a unified battlegroup, with training in unified command and control (such as this Operation to train in C&C in a unified battlegroup structure).

Merka, there are always two battlegroups and for the most part, the UK and France put at least half the troops in at any time. As you can see in July, there will be a European battlegroup and one made entirely out of British forces.

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 07:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Souljah

That the way this seems to be heading, isn't it?

We don't need another army, we just need to stop being so antagonistic towards certain countries, because at least then they'll be able to ease off the paranoia a little.

Then we might even be able to settle down and have a civilised discussion about the way the world is headed.

Making a new army will do the opposite.

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 07:47 AM
link   
This sounds like a good idea in principle. But who is going to provide the forces? U.K France Germany Italy and Belguim have the only substantial military units perhaps along with Poland.

I don't believe in this whole grand conspriacy about the EU, it does a hell of a lot of good, like providing money for countires hit by natural disaters, the Erasmus scheme which provides uni students the chance to study in another country at very little cost.

I think the countries within the EU will always keep their independence.

[edit on 6-6-2008 by Peruvianmonk]

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 07:51 AM
link   
EU Army ...... Dont make me laugh. They have been spouting this dream/bull# for many years now.

There is no way in hell that this will become an effective element ..... the EU can never decide on anything. Its a non-starter in my opinion. We already in theory have/had an EU Army, its called the WEU (Western European Union) and that was about as effective as a peashooter.

Any effective elements of an EU army would be made up of only a few nationalties anyway, the rest dont want to know, care or wont work with the other nations, cause they are so wrapped up in their own nationalistic bull#.

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 08:01 AM
link   
Heh, whenever EU troops are needed, it's always the British, as they know we can handle the job. I personally think most of the EU are a tad jealous that after 1000 years the British soldier is still the best soldier in the world. And thats with defective and old equipment.... or No equipment at all.

Now I am a little Bias' as I've had the honour of serving in the worlds greatest armed force. In the RAF Regiment (CVRT Sqn)

but I have to admit that an EU army does make sense.. and get rid of NATO. And it's good for morale too, as most EU armies now have front line females.. Go Holland...

Peace

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 08:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by stumason
Ah yes, Afghanistan... Where the Germans don't want to fight and don't go out after dark

If only the Germans did that during the Second World War, the whole conflict would of been over a hell of a lot quicker.

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 08:06 AM
link   
reply to post by infinite

I think it was France that took that upon themselves
Well if their was an EU Army i don't think Germany could get out of deploying troops as it is the biggest country in the EU.

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 08:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Peruvianmonk
reply to post by infinite

I think it was France that took that upon themselves
Well if their was an EU Army i don't think Germany could get out of deploying troops as it is the biggest country in the EU.

just think the first time there is a nice big EU army perade
All them germans in uniform marchign thru Paris
Im sure it will be a sight to raise every frenchmans spirits and make him proud

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by stumason
Ah yes, Afghanistan... Where the Germans don't want to fight and don't go out after dark, citing their constitution as to why they cannot help their British, Danish and Dutch bretheren fight in the South.

So how will an EU force solve that problem? German forces will still be limited by their constitution regardless of whether they fight under a NATO or EU flag. Do you think an EU force will persuade the French, Germans, Italians etc. to actually get involved in conflicts (because, as you rightly say, the European countries doing most of the fighting in Afghanistan are the UK, Holland and Denmark)? I don't think it'll make a difference, and I don't want British forces at the beck and call of the EU. They're British, not European. The men and women who join do so to defend the United Kingdom and they swear an oath to the Queen.

And as has been mentioned before, no one will be able to agree where to send them anyway.

Originally posted by Rock Ape
Now I am a little Bias' as I've had the honour of serving in the worlds greatest armed force. In the RAF Regiment (CVRT Sqn)

I'm happy to overlook your bias because many members of my family have been in the armed forces at some point.

Indeed, my grandfather was in the RAF Regiment when it was first formed in 1942 - he spent most of the war out in India and Burma. From what he told me he saw some terrible things out there.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join