It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Giant 100 by 50 ft Rebel Flag in Tampa, Fl

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 06:23 PM
link   
reply to post by desertdreamer

Stone Mountain, GA. Actually I thinkt he mayor has changed since then. But yes it was horrible.

In 2003 it almost got a lot worse...

HB899 came up in Georgia in 2003. It would have banned ALL confederate flags or "symbols" on any government grounds, including cemetaries. It would have made old civil war tombstones bearing such images unlawful, along with monuments such as the carving on Stone Mountain.

Any other provision of law to the contrary notwithstanding, on and after July 1, 2003, no flag or banner which is substantially similar in appearance to or which depicts the image of a flag or other symbol identified with any nation or entity which has ever declared or prosecuted a war against the United States of America shall be considered an official state symbol. No such flag or banner shall be flown or displayed on any state property or institution; provided, however, that this subsection shall not prohibit the display of historic flags in a bona fide museum setting on state property."

posted on Sep, 7 2008 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Glad to hear that he is no longer the Mayor! Just for your personal info.......the Sons of Confederate Veterans can be contacted about any problems with Confederate grave markers, Confederate flags not being allowed to be flown (in a civil, respectful manner), etc. They can be contacted at

www.scv.org

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 07:42 PM
link   
I like to fly it to honor my grandaddy's granddaddy, Augustus Webber Blankenship, who fought for the CSA back then. I honestly wish I could have met the man, from what my grandpa told me, he sounded like an interesting man.

BTW, all maps of the Confederacy shows 11 states, how many here knows what the 12th and 13th stars on the flag represents. I know which ones, just a little pop quiz for you history buffs out there.

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 12:18 AM
link   
When I see the flag I think of freedom.

The rebel flag is close to my heart.

Stone mountain was and is a great memory for our family!

I love the restaurant at Stone mountain...they served deep fried ocra, sweet potato, carrots as your "sit down" on paper towels before you order...mmmmm good.

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 12:48 AM
link   
reply to post by stikkinikki

Trying to explain the truth and symbolism behind the confederate flag,to those paranoid souls who have swallowed the retoric of revisionist history.
Is like trying to teach a pig to sing.All you will accomplish is a waste of your time and really annoy the pig.

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by xstealth
The Civil War wasn't fought over slavery, it was States Rights, smaller government, which is exactly what this country needs now!

When I here "The South Will Rise Again" I think of the self sufficient farm my grandparents lived on. The smell of homemade good things in the kitchen grown just a few yards away and turned into tasty and nutritious treats. Cooked by the women of the sons and daughters gathered in the kitchen. "The men can go outside now." my grandma would say firmly. It seems the women had their own community council.

The next step up from the family farm was the local farmer supported church where the local farmers and the family would gather on Sundays. The pot luck dinner after church could last three or four hours and rarely less than two.

The promise of permaculture and home grown alcohol for energy is what has been stolen from us by big government and bloody powerful corporations. "The South Will Rise Again" means to me the inevitability that we will return to a more peaceful and locally prosperous way of life. I think it is inevitable because nature itself has provided these things we need and a modern permaculture farm has room for both prosperity and abundant wildlife and clean happy streams to play in for all.

Big government gives money to billionaires for phony paper while ignoring that if the mortgages were paid at the source the bank papers would become valid and correct themselves.
Big government prevents farmers from growing hemp/marijuana for fuel, building materials and medicine.
Big government (etc., etc.) sucks.

Smaller corporate lobbyist influence would be good for permaculture farms around the world.

"The South Will Rise Again" says to me 'Please don't kill my grandma, Mr. Sam.'
'Please don't imprison my grandpa for living off of what he could grow from the ground and sky, Mr. Big Government DEA children for an excuse Dupont GMO food man.
"Please don't destroy our local school house", Mr. Least Common Denominator Unfunded Education Man.

I visualize and meditate on "The South Will Rise Again". It will grow from the ground. It will be warmed by the hyperdimensional furnace in the sky. It will be loved by a clear stream of water. That's all it was ever intended to be. All over the world we need permaculture. We need the spirit of the Southern ancestors willing to work with the ground and God.

I thank all of you who have posted here for putting together the best thread and links I have ever read on Southern Heritage. And thanks to the St. Pete Times for the excellent reporting.
For more on permaculture visit
Permaculture.com and
Permaculture.org.

Now if I can just get that antigravity thing to work on the tractor...
...floating tractors aren't much good for plowing but they cause a lot of stir at the local diner...

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 07:59 AM
link   
I am so glad to see someone who understands the history of the South. I am do very tired of hearing the Civil War was about slavery. I wish that people were interested enough to dig up the truth themselves, thus coming to understand the cause but more to understand just how mislead they have been throughout their years in school where the biased teaching of the history of this war started. If people today only understood why this war happened they would understand why the loss of it has us living overtaxed and governed to death today. The South accused the Federal Government of breaking their own constitution, they got no relief from overtaxation or protection of imported goods (which they sold first) maybe when we look at NAFTA we can see what they meant. I would go as far as saying that they could see where we would be just as we are today. Maybe we should just wonder how different our economy and lives would be if the outcome had been different in the war. Oh and by the way, the north had slaves before the south and also long after the war was over and no one ever says anything about that. The south was forced to release slaves, (I, by the way DO NOT support slavery and am ashamed of all who partook in it) but the north was allowed to take their time in getting slavery cleared up. Just as other issues we see in this country, they will use what makes a situation more frenzied and riled up because the truth won't help their cause. All the documents are available to see on line... check them out. You have been kept in the dark and fed crap about this issue people. The flag you seem to despise was a symbol of a part of the country that was fed up with being bled to death at the blade of government. Slavery was brought in only as a ploy for political propaganda. If I were a slave decendant I would be more angry that my ancestors were used like farm equipment and then their sweat was turned into a campaign push and political games to gain popularity. That is the sadest part of the war, this truth was twisted and caused the greatest blemish, racisim, to grow like a cancer with a root that leads right to Washington and people were fed it with a school system spoon and ate it right up because it was printed in a book and must be true.

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by whiteraven

How is it that a new age journeyman like yourself can also embrace the confederate flag and a loving rural home life?

Loving people are many times hidden from our perceptions.

Thanks for making me comfortable enough to rant.

I really enjoy hearing your stories.

Carry on. I'll go get the Morgan and lemonade while the bar-b-que starts.

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 05:29 PM
link   
reply to post by vance

The stars and stripes of the good ole US of A stands for elitist bullies who feel they have the rite rule the world. So with your logic anyone who is not an elitist should be disgusted and appalled with the stars and stripes.

[edit on 15-2-2009 by Ant4AU]

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 12:13 AM
link   
The Original words to "Dixie" - attributed to General Albert Pike, CSA

Southrons, hear your country call you,
Up, lest worse than death befall you!
To arms! To arms! To arms, in Dixie!
Lo! all the beacon-fires are lighted,--
Let all hearts be now united!

Advance the flag of Dixie! Hurrah! Hurrah!
In Dixie's land we take our stand, and live or die for Dixie!
To arms! To arms! And conquer peace for Dixie!
To arms! To arms! And conquer peace for Dixie

Hear the Northern thunders mutter!
Northern flags in South winds flutter!
Send them back your fierce defiance!
Stamp upon the cursed alliance!

Chorus:
Fear no danger! Shun no labor!
Lift up rifle, pike, and saber!
Shoulder pressing close to shoulder,
Let the odds make each heart bolder!

Chorus

How the South's great heart rejoices
At your cannon's ringing voices!
For faith betrayed and pledges broken,
Wrongs inflicted, insults spoken,

Chorus

Strong as lions, swift as eagles,
Back to their kennels hunt these beagles!
Cut the unequal bonds asunder!
Let them hence each other plunder!

Chorus

Swear upon your country's altar
Never to submit or falter--
Till the spoilers are defeated,
Till the Lord's work is completed!

Chorus

Halt not till our Federation
Secures among earth's powers its station!
Then at peace and crowned with glory,
Hear your children tell the story!

Chorus

If the loved ones weep in sadness,
Victory soon shall bring them gladness--
Exultant pride soon vanish sorrow;
Smiles chase tears away to-morrow!

Chorus

Swells my rebel heart with pride

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 12:39 AM
link   
reply to post by BlackOps719

I'll help you out a little bit BlackOPs
To Arms Dixie

Wish I was In Dixie

Yes does the Rebel heart good to hear these

[edit on 16-2-2009 by Ant4AU]

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 02:05 AM
link   
I live down here, drive all the time between sarasota and orlando.. noticed it earlier last year.

The first time I saw it I couldnt believe it.. then I remembered what state I lived in and you see a lot of those around here.. its pretty interersting

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 03:01 AM
link   
For better or for worse (depending on who you ask) you (society) really should stick with the existing symbols of a group. If you don't for better or for worse you will only end up transferring all the good/ bad that group did onto the new symbol while leaving everyone as confused as possible.

In the case of the Confederate flag, if the more common old one represents bad things for some people then surely ANY Confederate flags or symbols represent equally bad things as they belong to the SAME group.

Just stick with what was used in History, I don't want to have to find out that a new or different symbol becomes tarnished or given un-deserved gratitude its not right.

Another question you can ask yourself is if the main Confederate flag represents segregation and racism then once the "racists" accepted the use of the other flag after being beaten then doesn't that mean that that flag became corrupted or tainted because those same racists are classified as being under it. Also you have to think back, plenty of racist activities going off well until the present day, it wasn't that long ago the civil rights marches where done against the racists who hid under the US flag many of which are still hidden in its folds just like in all flags and symbols throughout the world.

Again for better or for worse stick with what is history as those who are offended by a symbol will still be offended by one if it was replaced with a "less offensive" one simply because it is tied to the thing those people are actually upset by which is the people who may have used it. Not everyone who fought under the Swastika or Eagle was a racist or anti-Semite just like not everyone who fought under the St George cross or the US flag was an upstanding member of society.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join