It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Deny Ignorance but Don't Ask Questions

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 11:16 PM
link   
I apologize if this is the wrong forum for this. Please move to appropriate area if so.

I've noticed a strange phenomenon here at ATS. While the slogan here is "deny ignorance" it seem the predominant mood is "attack those who are/may be ignorant". You see, we are all ignorant about things. No one person is the holder of all the knowledge but many hold parts of the collective knowledge. Great thing about sites like this we can share. That said we ALL have preconceived ideas, notions, prejudices and faulty leaps in logic. We can try to be blank or neutral but we really aren't. The only way to fix this is to be educated. What is the best way to be educated? Asking questions!
So, why is it that when someone asks questions here they usually (not always...some members here are great and patient) are immediately attacked for his/her ignorance? Even if that person is trying to set some group up the answers might educate someone just as ignorant viewing the thread. If the only response is hostility nobody learns anything with the exception of a lesson in human nature.
I know, I know this is a conspiracy site and people are going to be suspicious and with the battles waged here many will be on the defense too.
Please just remember that every question is not an attack and that a question (no matter how stupid it may seem) might just be an opportunity to help "deny ignorance".

[edit on 5-6-2008 by mysterychicken]

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 11:34 PM
link   
Absolutely spot on!!

I'm sick to death of the way people who defend on viewpoint (say UFO debunkers crippling a new member just because he/she posted a video that later turns out to be fake), or people who flame posts just because they don't agree with it... why not ask questions instead of being offensive?

One love

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Being defensive is perfectly normal. A lot of people here (myself included) hold strong views that are unpopular to some. Also, with so many trolls on the net and hoaxes it's easy to become jaded. The impulse to attack someone who appears to have an agenda or seems unbelievable is understandable.
However, pouncing on them will not educate them or change them. If you deal with them in a calm, mature and straight manner they will make a fool of themselves or show their genuine intent.

I know every situation can't be handled so well. Sure sometimes people provoke so hard and well, we're all human. Just being aware that with the freedom to post (speak) comes inherent responsibility (not imposed) goes a long way.

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 09:57 AM
link   
We humans are basically a mean species who will defend our opinions with the ferocity of a dog holding on to his bone. It's just human nature, although it is quite irritating.

If one can disagree with an opposing opinion respectfully then the tone is set and a true debate can be undertaken. Lacking repsect the topic of discussion beomes secondary to defensiveness and hurt feelings.

This phenomenon isn't exclusive to ATS. I've witnessed this on every board I've ever visited on the internet. After all these years I am finally learning to state my opinion but also respect that others may totally disagree with me. It's okay -- what a boring world we would have if everyone agreed all the time.

new topics

top topics

join