It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Woman Fired For Shaving Head for Cancer

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 09:23 PM
link   
This is pretty sad. A woman, who shaved her head for a cancer fundraising event, was fired from her restaurant job. Or, as the owner, put it, laid off until her hair grows back. I think this is clear discrimination because I'm sure there are bald men who work in restaurants. It's a sad day when we fire people for trying to help out in their communities.

I'm calling on all ATSers in the area to boycott this restaurant.

OWEN SOUND, Ont. -- When she took part in a local fundraiser for cancer research, all Stacey Fearnall thought she had to lose was a full head of hair.

Instead, the 36-year-old waitress at Nathaniels restaurant in Owen Sound, Ont., who raised more than $2,700 for the charity Cops for Cancer in exchange for her locks, was laid off when she showed up for work earlier this week with a shorn head.

www.ctv.ca...

[edit on 5-6-2008 by TheComte]

Mod Note: Breaking General News Posting Guidelines- Please Review This Link

And most importantly, the submission must be made via the 'submit' News Button
located on the toolbar at the top of the page.

[edit on 6-6-2008 by Jbird]

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 12:37 AM
link   
I think the management/owners acted well within their rights. She was told early on that having a shaved head would violate appearance standards and there are very few restaurants that don't have rules regarding appropriate appearance.

She was not initially fired, as she could have returned to work after her hair had grown out or she consented to wear a wig.

This woman disregarded the rules of employment, ignored the advice of her superiors, and refused measures to accommodate her even after she had gone ahead with her plans.

Her taking part in a cancer drive is commendable and she can proudly display her "high and tight" when she is off duty, but after she defied her employers, she has no right to complain.

[edit on 2008/6/6 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 01:19 AM
link   
reply to post by GradyPhilpott

So, you agree then that business owners should be allowed to fire bald men if they don't like the look of them?

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 03:41 AM
link   
You are a master of straw man arguments.

I support firing men for having bald heads only if the rules state that men are not allowed to shave their heads.

The rules of attire and appearance in many restaurants and other businesses differ for men and women as they should.

Regardless of those personal sentiments, the fact remains that the woman broke the rules as stated in the article and I articulated my view of the situation in my previous post.

Your question is irrelevant, illogical, and ignores known facts of the case.

And besides the woman has not been fired as your initial post erroneously asserts.

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 05:46 AM
link   
I DO take offense to her being "Laid off". I don't live near Owen Sound, but I live in North Bay, and I DO work in a restaurant. You can be sure that I will be talking to my co- workers about this.
We are all required to either keep our hair short, or wear it up. That would be the health regulations to keep hair out of the food we are serving.
I would say, at least she doesn't have to worry about that.
So if she had lost her hair due to cancer treatment, would she have been laid off till it grew back too?
I say she should find another job with those who are more appreciative of her efforts, and tell her boss to shove it.
The negative publicity alone from this is going to affect the restaurant, and I give it a year before the business goes under.
Some people just don't realize, how their actions could affect their business.

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 06:24 AM
link   
"the fact remains that the woman broke the rules as stated in the article". I agree, but this is just wrong! This is soulless! How many people sacrifice part of themselves (shave their head) to benefit others in need of something like the cure for cancer? Why not just wear a wig? There must be more to this story. They needed a reason to fire her. Bad decision on the restaurant's PR department. I bet the locals are gathering torches by now.

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 06:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
You are a master of straw man arguments.

Thank you. My mother will be proud that I am a master at something.
And thank you for posting your views on this.

And besides the woman has not been fired as your initial post erroneously asserts.

My title uses the word 'fired' just as the source article does.

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 07:34 AM
link   

correct she was laid off, however they did not come out and say she would be laid off if she did it, the owner did not say that in the interview. Because that would have been inappropriate. If people want to show their displeasure on this simple don't go to the restaurant. If enough people don't the the owner won't have to worry about laying people off because he won't have a business. She lost her dad to cancer 5 years before and had a cousin with cancer. The owner should lighten up. it isn't permanent and it shows you have caring staff that do positive things for your community. and spend the summer with her kids, what a nice gesture from the owner, not...... the guy is a jerk. end of story and I hope he goes out of business.

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 08:10 AM
link   

So it's ok for a woman to be fired over something that is completly sexist as long as the restaraunt has made a rule about it beforehand? So women should just be okay with the fact that men can shave their heads and women can't? Whatever.

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 01:39 PM
link   
There is already a petition circulating the internet. It can be accessed here:

www.PetitionOnline.com...

posted on Jun, 9 2008 @ 09:22 PM
link   
Good news for Stacey Fearnall. The owner of the restaurant has apologized to the woman, the Cancer Society and his customers. Apparently he realizes his mistake and has offered the job back. She decided not to return, however, but was grateful for the apology.

Plus, the publicity from the story helped raise another $2000 for the Cancer Society so that was good.

All's well that ends well.

www.cbc.ca...

posted on Jun, 9 2008 @ 09:56 PM
link   
Funny that people think it's unfair for a Women to be fired for refusing to wear a wig or wait to grow her hair out but for a guy it's the opposite. If a guy grows his hair out he'll get fired at most places.

posted on Jun, 9 2008 @ 10:25 PM
link   
bald women look funny

like boys with boobs

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 07:53 PM
link   
If a man grows his hair long he is asked to cut it shorter and conform in most jobs and careers. It is sexist that women are able to have both short and long hair. One case and everyone flips out and calls it sexist. laughable.

top topics

join