It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why are the police using surveillance on journalists?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Why are the police using surveillance on journalists?

www.pressgazette.co.uk

Dear said the NUJ had serious concerns about the FIT's activities in monitoring and recording the activities of bona fide journalists, especially photographers.

"A number of members have alleged that the police's surveillance action amounts to virtual harassment and is a serious threat to their right to carry out their lawful employment," he said.

The FIT had a responsibility to provide intelligence to police on individuals who might be involved in public order issues, and people whose likenesses were kept by police were given four-figure Photographic Reference Numbers and held on a database.

Dear told the Home Secretary: "Recently, the FIT has started surveillance of Press-Card-carrying journalists who cover and report on protests of any kind. For example, at a recent lobby against the SOCPA restrictions on protests on 1 March - all members of the press present were catalogued by the FIT team."

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Most of us here are aware of the increased efforts through recent legislation and police intimidation to stem our ability or ambition to hold peaceful protest. Aside from limiting our ability to do so, the next best option available is to reduce media coverage of any such protest (in many cases we even see joe blow with a camcorder being harrassed by the police). While it may not be a large problem at this time, the current trend is reason for concern.

What we see in this particular article is evidence of a clampdown on protest exposure through the media. If recent trends continue, many peaceful forms of protest may well become a criminal offense. The writing seems to be on the wall, protest and even vocal dissention is well on it's way to becoming tabu (if you need convincing see the excellent clips Part1 and Part2 re: HR1955)

That being said, I had to chuckle at the irony presented in the article. Anyone else pick up on it?

www.pressgazette.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 06:42 PM
link   
I think I know the answer to this question. Why are police using survelience on journalists? Cause they can. I am a firm believer that a lot of what the government does it does simply because it can, and it likes to show us that it can.

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 07:42 PM
link   
This little bit of foreboding news can mean trouble in more than one way. Perhaps this is part of an effort to evoke a sympathetic sentiment to our media friends. Perhaps it is a legitimate effort to gain operational intelligence for the police - knowing who will be witnessing what - in advance. There could be many things behind this story. I wouldn't think we can say for certain what is behind this increased surveillance and intelligence gathering.

new topics

top topics

join