It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Asteroid 2005 YU55 - Coming Soon to a Planet Near You

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Asteroid 2005 YU55 - Coming Soon to a Planet Near You

www.vorchester.com

The prediction that the ‘End of the World’ is coming on December 21, 2012 is one that keeps coming up. There are numerous sources for this prediction, the most prominent being the Myan Calendar. It’s interesting then, the timing of the arrival of a little asteroid called 2005 YU55. It’s due to arrive in less than two years.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 05:59 PM
link   
Always a good subject, asteroid doom.

www.vorchester.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 06:05 PM
link   
I love the thought of Asteroid Death. That whole scenario of, "well we have 13 days before the planet is wrecked to B-Jesus and back". You get like 2 weeks off of work and then die in a giant fireball, get hit with debris, or freeze to death in a "nuclear winter".

I doubt it will ever happen.

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by downtown436
I love the thought of Asteroid Death. That whole scenario of, "well we have 13 days before the planet is wrecked to B-Jesus and back". You get like 2 weeks off of work and then die in a giant fireball, get hit with debris, or freeze to death in a "nuclear winter".

LOL, how can you love that thought, haha.

It's definetly not a way I want to die.

[edit on 5-6-2008 by _Phoenix_]

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 06:07 PM
link   
I think this one is a favorite for 2012 predictors... Why, I don't know. NASA doesn't have any impact predictions for it until 2036 -

neo.jpl.nasa.gov...

Yes, NASA are evil and so forth, but I'll take 2012 predictions with a bigger grain of salt than NASAs.

This 2012 site also list YU 55 -

www.angelfire.com...

And if I'm not mistaken, there's something about YU 55 buried somewhere in this ATS thread -

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Happy reading.

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 06:26 PM
link   
And if you want a bit broader look at the whole "Space Rocks" scene, feel free to look at this thread:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

And while you're there, I have a request for some help with maps that I would really appreciate.

This all seems to be part of a growing awareness of just how exposed we are on this planet. We're literally at the mercy of any passing rock. Sort of like always following an uncovered gravel truck forever; sooner or later, your windshield has to get a hit. The only question is, how big, and how hard?

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 06:27 PM
link   
I think the asteroid 'YU-55'is really supposed to be a giant 'Reptoid' spacecraft,well according to some anyways.

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 06:35 PM
link   
This might be out there for you guys but probably not since your on this site. The asteroid that they are talking about will not be an asteriod or comet at all....

It will be an Alien weapon shot from space at Earth. . .

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by logicize
Always a good subject, asteroid doom.

Seriously. I've gotta' U2U dgtempe and let her know about this one.
She's always interested in the big rocks falling on us .. and the tidal waves ....

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 07:29 PM
link   
The tidal wave might not be so bad if you have a good boat, but I don't want any rocks falling on or near me.

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by uknow_me72

This might be out there for you guys but probably not since your on this site. The asteroid that they are talking about will not be an asteriod or comet at all....

It will be an Alien weapon shot from space at Earth. . .

Sounds like either 'Starship Troopers'or an episode on 'Stargate:SG-1',lol.

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 11:30 PM
link   
Now, when is this due?

I have a better chance with an asteroid than a big old tidal wave coming here! I'm supposed to be underwater soon, anyway. Ive gone over the scenario before a few times ^ choke*

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 06:41 AM
link   
California's supposed to be under water soon too, but from an earthquake. I live on top of an ancient seabed, maybe my house will become a house boat.

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 06:45 AM
link   
2005 YU55 is too small to be much of a problem - though I guess if it landed on your hometown it'd leave a bit of a mess ...... It may only be a few hundred feet across (largest estimate is less than 1,000ft) - so not an ELE by stretch.

I'm still counting on Apophis to do the business in 2036. Already picked my vantage point

posted on Jun, 7 2008 @ 10:07 AM
link   
According to JPL, Apophis is smaller than 2005 YU55 0.270 at kilometers (885) feet in diameter.

ssd.jpl.nasa.gov...

[edit on 7-6-2008 by logicize]

posted on Jun, 7 2008 @ 10:45 AM
link   
im hoping for a zombie end to everything myself..a few good weeks shooting zombies before i die would be great...

posted on Jun, 7 2008 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by fatdad
im hoping for a zombie end to everything myself..a few good weeks shooting zombies before i die would be great...

Now that sounds like fun!

So how much damage can an 885 ft asteroid cause?

posted on Jun, 7 2008 @ 12:07 PM
link   
If you are looking to find out what kind of damage an asteroid or meteor of any certain size would do, I recommend this site at the University of Arizona.

You can totally edit, size, material (iron, ice), impact angle

Its loads of fun

Asteroid impact model

posted on Jun, 7 2008 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Cool find

So a 1000 m (3K ft) diameter iron meteorite would hardly make a dent..

well unless it was your town

Originally posted by downtown436

You have any idea how many huge impact craters there are on Earth?

[edit on 7-6-2008 by zorgon]

posted on Jun, 7 2008 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Calculator is very cool. I did a worst case at a 100 miles away and got:

Clothing ignites

Much of the body suffers third degree burns

Newspaper ignites

Plywood flames

Deciduous trees ignite

Grass ignites

And the thing leaves 13 mile wide crater.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join