It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Food is Gold, and Investors Pour Billions into Farming

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Food is Gold, and Investors Pour Billions into Farming

cryptogon.com

One of two things is about to happen to people who can’t or won’t take responsibility for the food that crosses their own lips:
1) They’re going to be ripped off; or:2) They’re going to be killed off.
Hmm. Why not both?

Via: New York Times:
“Farmland can be a bubble just like Florida real estate,” said Jeffrey Hainline, president of Advance Trading, a 28-year-old commodity brokerage firm and consulting service in Bloomington, Ill.

By owning land and other parts of the agricultural business, these new investors are freed from rules aimed at curbing the number of speculative bets that they and other financial investors can make in commodity markets. “I just wonder if they need some sheep’s clothing to put on,” Mr. Hainline said.

(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 5-6-2008 by DimensionalDetective]

[edit on 5-6-2008 by DimensionalDetective]

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 04:13 PM
link   
OH NO....

This is like a nightmare come true. So the same "speculators" who are largely responsible for holding us financially hostage with gas prices are going to take over the ALREADY sky-rocketing food market?!?

Food is going to become a COMMODITY?!?

If this happens, EVERYONE will be in dire straights...

Mark Lapolla, an adviser to institutional investors, is also a bit wary of the potential disruption this new money could cause. “It is important to ask whether these financial investors want to actually operate the means of production — or simply want to have a direct link into the physical supply of commodities and thereby reduce the risk of their speculation,” he said.

Grain elevators, especially, could give these investors new ways to make money, because they can buy or sell the actual bushels of corn or soybeans, rather than buying and selling financial derivatives that are linked to those commodities.

When crop prices are climbing, holding inventory for future sale can yield higher profits than selling to meet current demand, for example. Or if prices diverge in different parts of the world, inventory can be shipped to the more profitable market.

cryptogon.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 05:16 PM
link   
We here in Australia are already being told that food prices might double in a few years time.
The main problem with growing your own food in your backyard is the water restrictions. where I live your not allowed to water any part of a garden or even wash your car outside. In other words we are at the mercy of paying whatever the supermarkets charge.

MBF

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 11:34 PM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

I have actually heard traders say "we have to get the (whatever crop) out of the farmers hands so we can rally the price up".

I stopped contracting years ago because if you have a crop failure, you still have to deliver the crop or pay the difference between the contract and crop price, which is always higher. The farmer is expected to take a double loss.

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 11:54 PM
link   
ANOTHER great thread by DD! Starred and Flagged. DD you are rapidly becoming one of my heroes on ATS, you always bring what's exactly on my mind. Keep up the great work!

No matter which way you slice it, subjecting our FOOD to greed scheming is a new low. Whether you wnat to plug this information into a NWO theory, or Codex implications, just the fact that our FOOD is a plaything to to these parasites is enough to make me wnat to puke.

[edit on 5-6-2008 by Gigatronix]

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 12:14 AM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

Food isn't going to become a commodity...it already is. Most staple foods have been traded on the same commodity markets as oil and gas for decades. We've just been lucky that they haven't moved into the food markets as of yet, concentrating mainly on fuel markets. This is why the powers-that-be need to be very careful in how they ultimately deal with the speculation currently occuring in the fuel markets.

new topics

top topics

join