It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Popping corn with cell phones?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2008 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Tried it with one phone, two phones, three, four, five and six phones. As I expected, no dice. Tried it with both regular bulk pop corn, as well as microwave pop corn. Tried it with the kernels in the center of a 6 phone circle, as well as a four phone circle, with two additional phones suspended directly over the kernels. Nothing, nada. I'd sure be interested in how the videos were produced though.

posted on Jun, 9 2008 @ 10:15 AM
link   
There's no real difference between micro pops and regular pops. Corn is corn.
However it was good that you tried...

I got on the After Effects wagon just recently and seriously, you wont believe what you can pull off with it.
I'm not saying that this is the case here although a lot makes me feel that it is the case.

BUT, I just read a possible explanation which is:

- experiement with how long you can put the kernels in a microwave before they pop. Then take them out and initiate the experiment right away. Apparently (i haven't tried myself) the vibration from the phone into the table should be able to burst the shell of the kernel forcing it to pop since it's already heated to breaking point.
It's worth a shot...

If that doesn't work I'm rooting for After Effects. Check out some of the tutorials on the tube. When done properly you can make vanishing ufos, teleportation, spontaneous combustion etc. the sky is the limit.

The site I'm learning from is www.videocopilot.net

posted on Jun, 9 2008 @ 10:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by AgentScmidt
I just tried it with 4 cell phones and it worked.

Can you inform us as to which phones you used for the experiment?

Are you able to produce a video?

I'm also wondering if not "fake" would the corn be popping from "vibration" or "frequencies" given off of the phones?

Tesla was able to make a building shake with a small device powered by a "battery"

So size is not everything.. nore is the scale of the power induced. There are so many "laws" unknown that could create "magical" results.

Or...

It's a well played trick...

[edit on 9-6-2008 by Willbert]

posted on Jun, 9 2008 @ 10:25 AM
link   
I am actually quite anxious to find out what it is for? I mean regardless... 4 different video clips invovlving the same thing from 4 different people who join youtube the same day and uploaded the clips the same day... that has to be a campaign for something.

posted on Jun, 9 2008 @ 11:08 AM
link   
I work in the industry, this is people just spreading more paranoia about cellphones which are an easy target cause most ppl are clueless to their function. I don't have to try this to tell you there is no way in hell this would ever work... if there was even a small bit of truth to this, people would have gaping holes where the flesh got cooked out due to their cellphone being hung at their hip, granted the powerlevels and "duty" cycles as far as power go is less when in the phone is idle... but still...

anyway, I can't belive anybody even remotely fell for this.

posted on Jun, 9 2008 @ 06:03 PM
link   
Well I never got around to try it for myself. It seems a few other people have and didn't work vs. the one or two people saying that they could do it.

Hmm...

I looked around for more videos of this on 'Tube. It always seems to be a big happy social occasion this popping of corn with cell phones! Almost like a ceremony

Well I'm back to being skeptical again. I think it probably/is/could be a viral marketing campaign. Whatever is they're trying to market, I'm definitely NOT going to buy it!

posted on Jun, 9 2008 @ 10:16 PM
link   
It don't work. The ppl on here that claim it does, well..they're most likely just propagating a fun hoax (in their opinion).

What probably works though is this: Time 4 kernels in the mic to see how long till poppage, then take 4 new kernels and nuke them just under that pop time, place these on a table and expose it to cellphone EMF. This probably will pop the kernels and give a really neat effect of cellphones doing all the popping work!

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 04:34 AM
link   
reply to post by battlestargalactica

Sometimes I think people can't see what I write

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 04:59 AM
link   
Sometimes people feel like morons for believing some total BS, so then have to BS themselves to save face. Sometimes....

Does anyone realise the heat it takes to pop corn? ffs

The people in the vids either have a hotplate underneath or a blowtorch/heater device from above imo.

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 05:10 AM
link   
this is pretty simple. phones get hot when they are running. the battery pack heats up when you leave it on for 1 hour or so. that's all. it's just heat. And heat is good for the muscles. I use Icy hot for my back pain. no worriest there.

to test it. Have the five or so phones around the popcorn. Have the phones on. use a game or make a call and leave it on for a long time. maybe turn on the light and leave an application running. Im a pro at this. After all, i'm the guy who transported the hot dog thru a microwave!

well, some phones get hot in less that two hours. I give it 30 mins

[edit on 10-6-2008 by jedimiller]

[edit on 10-6-2008 by jedimiller]

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 11:10 AM
link   
reply to post by DenverMan

Wow, that is just beyond weird. I won't discount it yet, but it does seem rather suspect. Especially since all these videos are purportedly taken by different people and yet they all are very similar. People chatting around a table covered with a table cloth, the popcorn popping within seconds... it just seems very far-fetched and contrived. I will try it, and will submit this to Mythbusters!

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 05:37 PM
link   
reply to post by mattguy404

Everyone is forgetting resonance.

resonance is the key.

i am very scared of using cell phones in case a small part of my brain pops creating a tumour.

in any case most conversations on cell phone are very banal and stupid anyway.

how much did your drink?
how much vomit did you spew?

how many did you screw.

i was wearing a thong.

my shoes cost $500.

my boyfriend went with my best friend.

i did a dump in my panties.

my snot was cleaned by mummys gay lover.

The number of tumours has increased in line with cell phone usage but bogus studies by cell phone makers have exonerated cell phones.The groups weretold in advance not to find any connection with cell phones.

all studies funded by a vested interest are invalid as they always promote their interest.

[edit on 10-6-2008 by esecallum]

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 05:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Anonymous ATS

Again... notice that even though it is "different" people, they signed up the same day, they post their vid the same day.
And now they are sharing clips... everyone of the four profiles are sharing the other profiles' clip.

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 05:53 PM
link   
reply to IDEA THAT THERE IS LITTLE MASSIVE EVIDENCE THAT
CELL PHONES ARE HARMFUL. MY ANSWER TO THAT IS THAT THE
HUMAN BODY IS ABLE TO TAKE ENORMOUS AMOUNTS OF ABUSE.
THINK OF THE MILLIONS OF PEOPLE DRINKING DIET DRINKS WHICH
HAVE A FULLY ESTABLISHED AND FULLY SCIENTIFICALLY VERIFIED
FACT THAT ASPARTAME IS PURE POISON...YET PEOPLE STILL DRINK
THE STUFF AND SURVIVE. THIS DOES NOT MEAN THAT HUNDREDS OF
THEM ARE NOT SUFFERING SEIZURES, CANCER, IMPOTENCE, AND DOZENS OF OTHER AILMENTS AND NOT BLAMING THEM ON ASPARTAME.
AGAIN, THE HUMAN BODY IS INCREDIBLE. THINK OF THE HORRENDOUS
AMOUNT OF SWEETS AND SUGAR WE INGEST, YET PEOPLE ARE STILL
NOT DROPPING LIKE FLIES. THINK OF THE HORRENDOUS AMOUNT OF
THE POISON ALCOHOL BEING INGESTED IN MILLIONS OF BARS AND
RESTAURANTS ACROSS THE WORLD. YET PEOPLE ARE LIVING MORE OR LESS NORMAL LIVES, EXCEPT THOSE THAT ABUSE THE PRACTICE.
WE WON'T EVEN MENTION DRUGS OF WHATEVER SORT. SO SAYING
THAT CELL PHONES DOE NOT HARM US RATHER FLATLY CERTAINLY IS
NO PROOF THAT THEY ARE NOT HARMING US. I WOULD RATHER ERR ON
THE SIDE OF CAUTION. ONE MAY READ OF A CONTINUOUS STREAM OF
UNSCRUPULOUS PEOPLE WILLING TO DO ANYTHING TO MAKE A BUCK.
I JUST READ AN AUTHORATATIVE ESSAY BY A FORMER 2 STAR GENERAL
WITH THE CIA WHO HAS TONS OF DOCUMENTED PROOF THAT THE JOINT
CHIEFS OF STAFF (THE HEAD OF ALL OF OUR MILITARY DEFENSE) HAVE
A SYSTEMATIC METHOD OF SKIMMING AND DEPOSITING THOUSANDS OF
DOLLARS INTO THEIR SWISS BANK ACCOUNTS. ONE OF THE SOURCES
OF THIS MONEY IS A HORRIBLE FAULTY ARTILLERY PIECE WHICH KILLS
THOSE OPERATING IT AS IT IS SO BADLY CONSTRUCTED BY THE ARABS
WHO WERE SELLING IT TO US. RUMSFIELD WHO WAS GETTING LARGE
KICKBACKS INTO HIS BANK ACCOUNT (AS WELL AS DICK CHENEY) FROM
PURCHASE OF THESE GUNS FALSIFIED THE SOLDIERS DEATH AS BEING
FROM A CAR CRASH. THE GUN WOULD SUDDENLY JUMP TO THE LEFT,
KILLING OR SERIOUSLY INJURING THE OPERATOR (WHO WAS SIGHTING
THE PIECE FROM THE LEFT SIDE) IT JUMPED BECAUSE THE BARREL WAS
BENT!!! YET RUMBSIELD ORDERED A THOUSAND OF THEM TO BE TESTED
SUPPOSEDLY. BUT OF COURSE HE AND CHENEY AND BUSH ALSO GOT
THEIR RAKE OFF FROM OUR TAX PAYERS BUYING THESE LETHAL GUNS.
SO IF WE HAVE HORRENDOUS CORRUPTION AT THE VERY TOP OF THE
GOVERNMENT CHAIN, WHY SHOULD WE EXPECT A CELL PHONE MAKER
TO TELL US CELL PHONES ARE DANGEROUS TO OUR HEALTH? THEY
HAVE NO REASON WHATSOEVER. THEY COULD CARE LESS. IF MORE
PEOPEL DIE, AS SCROOGE SAID, "IT WILL REDUCE THE SURPLUS POPULATION!"
THANKS A LOT PALS!! REV. AND DR. LOU NITTI JR.
IF YOU WANT A COPY OF THE REPORT BY THE 2 STAR GENERAL, JUST
LET ME KNOW, AT [email protected]

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 05:57 PM
link   
We are bathing (basking) in microwaves.

There are towers/transmitters all around us (I have at least five in a four mile radius that I know of and not to mention the tv transmitters). You could have neighbours/businesses/schools who have wireless phone/computer networks as well.

So if we give ours up does it really make much of a difference when everyone else has them?

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by battlestargalactica
It don't work. The ppl on here that claim it does, well..they're most likely just propagating a fun hoax (in their opinion).

What probably works though is this: Time 4 kernels in the mic to see how long till poppage, then take 4 new kernels and nuke them just under that pop time, place these on a table and expose it to cellphone EMF. This probably will pop the kernels and give a really neat effect of cellphones doing all the popping work!

I tried the popcorn from a microwave pack with grease around the kernels. No joy.

I too had thought about preheating the corn. This may be a key.

Just tried it with preheated corn and 2 phones. No joy.

Also used regular popcorn, preheated to 1 minute and 15 seconds, kernels were hot to touch, no joy.

I had such hopes this would be a neat truism. Looks just like a trick and not a fact.

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 06:37 PM
link   
reply to post by DenverMan

Good Morning America tied it without results:

www.seriouseats.com...

As the man said, HOAX. His physics and math, while not precise, are right on the money.

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 02:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by esecallum
reply to post by mattguy404

Everyone is forgetting resonance.

resonance is the key.

i am very scared of using cell phones in case a small part of my brain pops creating a tumour.

in any case most conversations on cell phone are very banal and stupid anyway.

how much did your drink?
how much vomit did you spew?

how many did you screw.

i was wearing a thong.

my shoes cost $500.

my boyfriend went with my best friend.

i did a dump in my panties.

my snot was cleaned by mummys gay lover.

The number of tumours has increased in line with cell phone usage but bogus studies by cell phone makers have exonerated cell phones.The groups weretold in advance not to find any connection with cell phones.

all studies funded by a vested interest are invalid as they always promote their interest.

If a small part of your brain "pops" it wouldn't create a tumor. It would cause something like a brain aneurysm, or stroke, and you'd die instantly. Note that you don't see millions of people falling down dead after a few minutes on the phone.

Tumors imply cancer, and would have to be caused by a completely different process than how popcorn is popped. There's no plausible mechanism by which microwaves can cause cancer. It takes ultraviolet or better to do that.

I think these videos are a hoax made to prey on the fears of people who don't know a lot about microwaves, to whom such cellphone related myths seem plausible.

Also: it seems like everybody and their mother on ATS has weird ideas about resonance. It's not magic, you know. There's equations for it. In any physical system, resonance doesn't change the amount of energy it takes to do something. It just changes the amplitude at the anti nodes of waves. In the case of microwaves, perfect resonance between two identical sources gives an amplitude of twice the first source's maximum amplitude at the antinodes. In this case, that would mean that if the kernel was placed at the antinode of the standing waves of two phones in perfect resonance, it would heat up twice as fast.

On the other end, with two standing waves in perfect resonance, things at the nodes don't heat up at all. With kitchen microwaves, this is an undesirable outcome, which is why they have metal fans to scatter the microwaves from the magnetron around the inside of the microwave oven. With two standing waves not in perfect resonance, they have a beat frequency of the larger frequency minus the smaller, which would mean that there would be even heating, but rarely would the combined waves reach the full amplitude of the two sources put together.

Basically, resonance means that the effectiveness of two standing waves can be concentrated at points to *AT MAX* twice the maximum of one standing wave. So four cellphones in perfect resonance are four times as powerful as one cellphone. And no more. Since one cell phone doesn't heat up diddly squat, four won't either.

In a physical system, where you're vibrating some object at it's resonant frequency, all it means is that the energy you're putting in via your oscillating source will constructively interfere with the oscillations of the thing you're shaking, so the effect is cumulative. You don't get more energy out of the process than is put in, it's just an effective way of shaking something.

Don't believe me, look up some differential equations and linear analysis. This is the bread and butter of a large part of mechanical engineering and a bigger part of electrical engineering. Cell phones wouldn't even *WORK* if we didn't have this stuff down to a T. Cars wouldn't last a year if we didn't have a perfect understanding of mechanical resonance.

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 04:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Anonymous ATS

They're ARGUABLY from different countries. They ARE all from the same youtube user...which is suspicious. Try it yourself. If if works, let us know.

I just tried. It worked!

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 04:42 AM
link   
reply to post by DaleGribble

The globalist nwo are into eugenics and want us sick to exhaust our personal wealth and then to die young. So keep up the good work!

[edit on 11-6-2008 by Beefcake]

[edit on 11-6-2008 by Beefcake]

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join