It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

china earthquakes @ 10km depth

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 01:42 PM
link   
hi there

as i was looking through the data for the earthquakes, and i noticed that all of the quakes are at the same depth ,
a depth of 10 km,

www.iris.edu...

is there a logical reason for this ????

thanks

snoopyuk

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 01:52 PM
link   
I hope this helps. The massive plates are crushing against each other and the depth is roughly...10 K.

A scary map for you to ponder on - The dots are severe earthquakes. Look at those dots, and the star for the recent China quake and you realise just how fragile a hold man has on life in that area.

From here.

China quake report

Hope that helps a little bit.

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 02:08 PM
link   
reply to post by snoopyuk

Snoopy, I was looking at the data and noticed that as well. I also noticed that the Nevada and Andreanof Island quakes were happening regularly at very shallow or 0.0 depths.

I recall one other area had regular quakes at a 10-mile depth, but I can't remember where it was located. Isn't the bottom of the crustal layer around 10 to 12 miles down?

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Chinese fault regions and sesmic activity

Read all the way through this link from start to finish and i promise you that you will have an excellent understanding of both the tetonic fault lines and why this is such a quake prone area due to the immense prsssures generated by two plates thrusting against each other.

Look at the image I posted above and you will see the area is riddled with fault lines, and sadly most human habitation is slap bang right on top of them.

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 02:15 PM
link   
thanks for the reply and the map Dan Tanna

and yes Sleuth i noticed the other ones that are shallow too.

snoopyuk

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sleuth
reply to post by snoopyuk

Snoopy, I was looking at the data and noticed that as well. I also noticed that the Nevada and Andreanof Island quakes were happening regularly at very shallow or 0.0 depths.

I recall one other area had regular quakes at a 10-mile depth, but I can't remember where it was located. Isn't the bottom of the crustal layer around 10 to 12 miles down?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Make sure you aren't mixing up 10km (6.2 miles) and 10 miles.

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 11:31 PM
link   
If you go to www.earthquake.usgs.gov view the 'world' map, do a random sampling of the earthquakes across the globe and you will see a statistically abnormal number come back at exactly 10.0 km....not 9.9 or 10.1. Look at HAARP research, and you will see there are experiments currently examining our earth's crust with huge outbursts of energy that are capable of causing earthquakes. 10 km sounds like a human input for depth searches to me.....
there is quite a buzz about this on the internet if you search youtube, and HAARP project info. my friends are concerned, but interestingly, my mother has speculated this is a government project to release tension in the plates to avoid a larger earthquake in the future.
scary, yes?

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 11:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Dan Tanna

Very good well explained and thought out!

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 01:05 AM
link   
If you research further on the USGS site you will see that this has nothing to do with communication research at HAARP. the default depth for earthquakes in a mid-continental area that doesn't have enough information to get an accurate depth is 10km.

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Im glad Haarp was mentioned. Power potentially worse than a nuclear bomb with the beauty of it being "natural"

top topics

join