It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

D.C. Police to Check Drivers In Violence-Plagued Trinidad

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by greeneyedleo
reply to post by downtown436

Have you walked or driven thru these areas before? Seriously....have you?

Yes. I most certainly have. While I didn't feel all that *safe* I didn't feel all that much at risk either. I'm not dealing or buying drugs. I've lived in this area most of my life, so I've had the occasion to take the wrong turn at 2AM, or walk down the wrong street, in the wrong block at other times.

These are HORRIBLE areas to be in....they are DANGEROUS. Its not safe for INNOCENT people...the people who have lived there their WHOLE LIVES.

The cops have tried EVERYTHING and nothing has worked yet.

They haven't repealed the "no handgun" law. That would be a start. Allow the citizens to arm themselves and the criminal element wouldn't have as much perceived power.

And then please tell us a NEW solution that has NOT been tried by law enforcement to STOP all the murders happening.

[edit on 5-6-2008 by greeneyedleo]

For a while, back in the late '80's and early '90s, Farakhan and the NOI did wonders for reducing crime in certain neighborhoods. The Chief of Police could invite him back.

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 05:42 PM
link   
I see that many of the posters here are from the DC area.Fine,this is where it starts.Keep the average citizen from moving about freely in order to slow the crime rate. What is the next step if and when this experment fails? Enforced curfew? File travel plans with the police in advance?
If you really want to be safe,go to prison.There are armed guards there to protect you.

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky

My sentiments exactly. A star for you, gel.

What would you do if you were in charge, Coshy? Put yourself in the plae of the residents of these areas. They are virtually prisoners in their own homes.

Criminals need to be dealt with harshly in cases like this.

Well, "these criminals" as you put it may have grown up as little children in that same neighborhood fearing for their lives, growing up with the necessity to protect oneself and their friends and family; it is easy to dismiss these "thugs" as "these criminals" taking away their individuality and person and making them objects, but the truth of the matter is that they are humans just like you and everyone else, this is no solution but more problems... the solution isn't going to come in the form of more oppression and control, it will come from examples, from people within the community being able to speak and have a platform, at first they will misuse and or sound uneducated but as time progresses and they are given the platform to speak and be heard they will curtail their negative behavior for something more formal.
The way they are dealing with it now causes even more fear and dissension among the residents and the police involved.

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 05:58 PM
link   
reply to post by greeneyedleo

I just offered a solution. Allow citizens to have their 2nd amendment rights back. If you think someone might have a gun, you will think 2x about mugging, raping or shooting at them.

Seriously, I would never go to this place, like I said it is a Martial Law zone, depleted of all constitutional rights.

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 10:38 PM
link   
More from the Boston Globe:

www.boston.com...

Responding to the threat of a legal challenge, interim D.C. Attorney General Peter Nickles cited a similar case involving New York City police, who once stopped motorists in the Bronx at random hours, mostly in the evening, to curtail drive-by shootings, drugs and robberies. Neighborhood residents and commercial vehicles were allowed to pass, while others were turned away.

A federal appeals court ruled in 1996 that those police tactics were constitutional, saying that the checkpoints "were reasonably viewed as an effective mechanism" to reduce drive-by shootings.

In a Supreme Court case from 2000, however, justices struck down random roadblocks used in Indianapolis to screen people for illegal drugs, ruling that they were an unreasonable invasion of privacy. The high court's majority concluded that law enforcement alone is not a good enough reason to stop innocent motorists.

How is this any different that the Indianapolis plan? They are screening people, via random roadblocks, for evidence of drugs or guns. It IS an unreasonable invasion of privacy and violates our 4th Ammedment rights protecting us agains unreasonable search and seizure.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for effective law enforcement. It seems from the news articles and the replies here that there is clearly a problem. But trampling civil liberties is not the solution.

What is the solution? Some have been offered here, but I believe they are only half-measures. No single solution is going to work, the problem has to be looked at from multiple angles and a wide range of solutions need to be applied. Some of the factors could be socio-economic issues, poor role-models, ineffective parenting, lax/ineffective law enforcement, inconsistent sentencing, community apathy/feeling of powerlessness, the list could go on for pages.

Solving one of the issues listed may help (consistant and continued law enforcement for example), but that alone will not, can not solve the underlying causes. Repealing the handgun ban may alleviate the feeling of powerlessness, but it does nothing to address the larger socio-economic problems of low pay and little opportunity.

Our rights, freedoms and liberties wont be washed away in a tidal wave of martial law, they will be slowly eroded, one grain at a time, over the course of many, many years, until we wake up one day and find we have none left.

[edit on 5-6-2008 by Coshy]

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 10:51 PM
link   
Wow 5 to 10 days......boy that sure sounds like a police state to me

It is needed...the people who are committing these murders will be sent a message with this.That the police are not going to tolerate this barbarism.

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 11:19 PM
link   
reply to post by CaptGizmo

In and of itself this action by the D.C. police doesn't seem very frightening (from a 'they are taking away our rights, the sky is falling' point of view). I'll grant you that. 5-10 days of infringing on our 4th Ammendment rights seems a small price to pay to put these thugs where they belong ... or at least in jail.

But, when viewed in a larger context a pattern begins to emerge, and this pattern is more of what I'm talking about.

Lets start here ...

"It's not unlike a sobriety checkpoint or a traffic-safety checkpoint," Hughes said. "This time, it's to make sure violent crime is deterred as much as possible."

Sobriety checkpoints, traffic-safety checkpoints have been around for a while now. I'm 38 and I can remember them happening, although infrequently, when I was in high school. Now however, nearly every 'drinking holiday' (St. Patricks, July 4, Memorial Day, Labor Day, New Years Eve), these checkpoints are set up in multiple places around where I live, semi-rural West Virginia.

Why are they so widely used? Because they can demonstrate their effectiveness by arrest numbers. Great, get the drunks and unsafe cars off the road, positive for everyone.

June, 11, 2007 San Bernardino County Sheriff conducts fireworks checkpoint www.checkpointusa.org...

Ok, so we are still good, drunks, unsafe vehicles and illegal fireworks. Great for the people.

May, 22, 2008 Toucson, Arizona Well, they are looking for terrorists and illegal aliens, so I guess this is ok? www.freedomsphoenix.com...

This is the pattern that concerns me. The frequency of the checkpoints, and the fact they are becoming ever more intrusive and in some cases outright illegal, all in the name of fighting crime. Where does it end? What is the logical outcome if the fight against crime is allowed to continue on this course? Will we be constantly monitored from the moment we wake up to make sure we break no laws? After all, it is whats best for the people. If this is allowed to expand unchecked, the consequences, in the next 20 years or so, could prove to be dire.

I do firmly believe in our Republic. I honestly believe we have the best system of checks and balances on the planet. I am heartened when I see the SCOTUS strike down Indianapolis-type checkpoints. I believe our checks and balances will, for the most part, keep our freedoms intact ... but only if we the people pull our heads out of the sand every once in a while and ask "WTF is going on with this?"

[edit on 5-6-2008 by Coshy]

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 03:31 AM
link   
bottom line its completely unconstitutional, washington and the other forefathers are rolling in their graves right now with all the freedoms we are losing in the states

i dont care how bad any neighborhood is, personally ive been thru some of the worst, and several of the best too, ive lived a fortunate life which has allowed me to have a very vast experience in my few years and i know limiting freedom and implementing things like this are NOT the way to go

yes things need to be done about crime, yes maybe this area in dc is a very dangerous place to live, what that means tho is that we need better police, better detectives, better laws, regulations and ways of thinking and living and going about business

theres thousands of other options available apart from limiting what all of our ancestors fought so hard for... and if you call yourself an american i dont care what race or culture u are, the ppl who fought for this country in the very beginning are all of our ancestors whether its by blood or not

we need to stand up to our oppressors and stop continuing to lose everything we have and deserve

police need to be regulated, this IS NOT nazi germany YET, and we all need to do our best to prevent that from happening

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 06:56 AM
link   

Do you have any other solutions?

Yes, I have a solution....GIVE THE CITIZENS OF DC BACK THE RIGHT TO CARRY CONCEALED FIREARMS!!!

I don't know how many times I have had this conversation with people, mostly skirt wearing liberals, but it is obvious that criminals thrive in places where they can go around unchecked and unopposed by the local citizenry. I'm not accusing you of being a liberal or anything like that, since it's the Dems. that want to take our guns away!! However, I totally disagree with enacting Nazi-like Police state tactics like those that are presented in this article...that are being carried out as we speak in AMERICA!!!!???

IN AMERICA!! Whatever happened to "land of the free" and all that bull****!! Oh yeah, I forgot, it doesn't exist anymore and I don't think it ever has.

These police-state tactics may work for a little while but the criminals will still have guns and break the law while the good citizens will have their Constitutional rights trampled over and no one really cares!!

Does anyone here realize that the horrible shootings that happened at V-Tech could have been stopped or had less casualties if the students actually had the right to carry concealed firearms. Also, if Virginia Tech actually followed the law that the state of Virginia did then maybe that psycho student would not have killed as many as he did. Sorry about going off topic here, but it definitely applies to the criminal element we're trying to address here.
A criminal element that will not go away by some "feel-good" legislation and police-state tactics that only hurts the good citizens rights in Amerika!!

Purduegrad05

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 08:44 AM
link   
Giving back guns to the citizens of DC as many here have stated is not the solution .Before they took the guns out of peoples hands in there DC was the murder capitol of the United states.It had the highest murder rate for many years over.When the guns were removed they were taken off the top of the list.
I am all for gun ownership...however in DC...our nations capitol..it was like living in the old west at times...too many irresponsible people with guns.

[edit on 05/16/2008 by CaptGizmo]

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 09:36 AM
link   
heres a simple solution to a stupid problem..

move

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 02:02 PM
link   

I have lived in the WDC area for many years. There are parts of DC that I would NEVER EVER EVER go to because of how dangerous it is, including this area.

I see no issues with this because the area is invested with thugs.

Im sure the people of the area are SICK of fearing for their own lives. Something has to be done and this is their LAST attempt at fixing the problem.

Do you have any other solutions?

[edit on 5-6-2008 by greeneyedleo]

Yes. Fix and Enforce the laws are currently on the books so that the repeat offenders stay locked up. Fix the incarceration system so that people are rehabilitated, not institutionalized. Fix the school systems so that the kids are challenged educationally.

They (us) have created these situations by turning a blind eye and believing the hype. They (them) have become thugs, miscreants, minority trash. Guinea Pigs to tyranny and oppression. It is only a test, for when they (us) become accustomed to the checkpoints to keep them out, they become us and we become them. All with out us knowing who they are.

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Coshy

This is unconstitutional, being in a certain place does not constitute reasonable search and seizure. They must follow the TERRY law on this or face massive lawsuits. Thus the reason they are not stoping walkers, only cars.

Who is to say they cannot do this in any neihborhood for any reason they deem fit? I cry foul on this one. I know I am going to sound racist, but the problem is negroes and their lack of parental guidance. Do you think this area is white middle class people shooting each other? Hell no it isnt.

The problem is that blacks are still playing the blame game and need to get off their lazy asses and read some books, hell every immagrant that has come here started lower or as low as a group and have surpassed them, why is that? Is it whitey? Must be, that white bastard gets around to doing all types of stuff like oppresing people.

Black on black crime is rising every year, they cannot even get along with each other, time to change your entire way of thinking and being when that becomes the problem.

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 02:45 PM
link   
100% Unconstitutional.

For those who support this ridiculous abuse of the 4th Amendment, I have one simple question:

Given that the police have no legal obligation to protect you, why not stop relying on government to keep you safe, and take responsibility for that yourself?

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 07:01 AM
link   
born handcap and did know it for most of my driveing life,this could be a experment on driveing,and killer bees I had a dream did my driveing,by sting other driver's off the road?

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join