It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why I became a Mason

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 12:49 PM
link   
I would be interested to hear why other have joined, and why others are thinking about joining.
I became a mason after having several good friends who were involved for quite some time keep talking about it. I noticed a pattern that the people I knew that were Masons, are all good people who I respect and try to emulate. I had heard about the conspiracy ideas about it and wasn't sure what to believe. I have to admit some of the reason I joined was to find out if there was anything to this idea that the Masons are secretly trying to take over the world. Most of the reason I joined was that a very good friend of mine has been a Mason for about 12 years. He is someone I would and have trusted with my life. I asked him to assure me I was doing the right thing for myself and family. After his assurance I did petition the lodge. I have been a 3rd degree master Mason for almost a year now. I went to the Scottish Rite Valley of Wilmington and became a 32nd Degree in March of this year. In all the things that have happened masonicly, I have had nothing but good experiences. The first 3 degrees taught me a lot. The 4 through 32nd was all done in one day and I missed a large portion of what I was supposed to learn from what I am told. I can go back and see the degrees in the future and I intend to do that. The stage performance of the ones I did get to see was really something. To those who are worried about us I am one that can assure you there is NOTHING to be worried about. I tried to explain the way masonry works to my Son in law like this: "If you were out somewhere and you saw someone who needed help you would probably help them being the kind hearted person you are, If you saw a friend from the old neighborhood, you might bend over backwards to help them or their family." I am truly proud to be a part of this fraternity and to be called "Brother". Thank you for your time.
PS. I still haven't received my misinformation check.

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by network dude

Hello networkdude. Congrats on getting your 32nd, I am currently 18th, and will be going through the 19-32 in October. It is a great fraternity, but be prepared on this board to be questioned, and insulted ,by some of the less educated posters on the 'Hidden Agenda" that Freemasonry is reputed to have. There are some great debates in progress, and most of the Brethren here are quite willing to answer any questions regarding the Fraternity.

Dredz

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Great story. I think its interesting that all the anti-masons on this board completely ignore people like yourself, who joined to see if there was anything to all of the conspiracy theory. And yet...for all of the people who have joined masonry that would have exposed it as some diabolic cabal, none have ever done so. How can this be?

Wait wait, let me guess the anti-mason response: The fraternity is so diabolical it corrupted you so much that you can't see/understand all the evil things that are going on.

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 12:44 AM
link   
There are many problems with masonry, as within any organization, that lead to corruption and... dare I say it... conspiracies. I don't think any well studied 'anti-mason' would be as bold to say that there is a grand conspiracy that all masons worldwide are a part of. However history has shown us that large changes within society, and even revolutions have often been born from and orchestrated by members of this 'fraternity. Many of these changes have, been beneficial to society, but many have not. I would say that the organization itself is not so much evil, as it is a neutral party which enables its members to do what they will with the benefits and downfalls of membership. To say that no conspiracy exists within masonry seems laughable, as conspiracies have always existed, and probably will always exist within any human organization. To stray a bit from the main topic here, only a man who believes in a 'God' can go down to his local masonic temple, take part in rituals around an altar, be ritually killed and reborn into the 'light' of masonry, and then say that masonry is not a religion? These kinds of things really make me skeptical about the honesty of masons.

"The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. One cannot help but be in awe when he contemplates the mysteries of eternity, of life, of the marvelous structure of reality."
Author: Albert Einstein

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 08:29 AM
link   
Talking about how masons are alike ... you really have a ego the size of china.
But let's get things straight .. from the 3rd degree you jumped to 32nd .. ... that's strange because in the pursuit of "illumination" or "light" you should "work" your way up. Shouldn't you learn all the lessons involved of the 4,5 ,.... 31st degree? This discreet society should not allow these kind of "jumps".In some countries exist....informally the 32.5 degree because in those countries the degrees are bought . Masonry is a social elevator for many.
If you talk about conspiracies ...Masonry only assumes the role of recruitment and those who are not "fit" to be part of the elite end up as you - talking publicly what degree you have and how it is so wonderful to be a brethren.Shame on you ,because you are brainwashed like the ordinary people.You do not accept the involvement of Masonry in the conspiracy and ignorants do not see the conspiracy.It's all in the benefit of the rulers.
Illumination comes from within and the grades that you are so proud to say you have brought you a soulless joy .You are deprived of any morality that masonry is pseudo-promoting.You are the profane!
Your rituals are empty oaths,you neither understand nor live by.

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 08:48 AM
link   

Hello Dude,

Dude you were robed big time.

It takes years of guidance do what you think you did.

You have learned nothing.

I’m not a Freemason but I know that the 33 degree is the hardest and you only make it if you truly hear and see. And for that to happen you need to have lived it.

But keep trying.

Again I’m not a Freemason in this life because the gnosis is lost, the era of wise men has ended.

We are now headed into the age of slaves. Good luck to you and I hope you truly learn.

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 09:00 AM
link   
A few days ago, I was acknowledge as wanting to be a Freemason, and I am now waiting for the local lodge to allow me to meet up with other Masons from the same area. Here I have to wait 6 months, I was told its like a cool off period to see who is really determined to join, and within 6 months I can see if I really like to be involved or not, as well as within 3 months, the others can nominate me? I am not too sure on the procedure, but I have shown interest, and things will now progress from here.

The conspiracy angle has flown out the door for me a while ago, but it was a path I needed to take I believe, some will just stay there I suppose, I have moved on the way I see it

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 09:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Im a Marty

WHaaa... Someone on ATS convinced you Masons where not evil?? zomg.. who ever could that have been...

I wish the States had a "cool off" period, then we wouldn't get all these one day douche bags which we never see again anyways.

Course. We would also probably die off eh?

Also, congrats OP on becoming a Mason.

Izarith ....

No comment

That was really.. really hard not to say some smart # comment.

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Izarith - What are you talking about?

I feel like some people absolutely ignore all the myths that have been debunked on this board, but I'll do it again anyways:

It takes a day or two and a few hundred bucks to jump from 3rd degree to 32nd degree in the United States. Thats because degrees to do not symbolize authority or hierarchy. The 33rd degree is honorary, and may be given for any outstanding contribution to masonry or society.

You are free to believe in the doom and gloom propaganda from the populists that control ATS...but it doesn't impact reality concerning masonic degrees.

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 03:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Anonymous ATS

I appreciate your reply. I am not sure where I fit in in the well read department as I did a good bit of reaserch before I pettitioned the lodge. I wanted to make sure I wasn't going to be killed and reborn with further light or any such nonsense.
I am sure there have been some Masons who have done things in history good and bad. Just as there have been baptists that have done things. I don't think anything bad about the Baptist religion because of that. (I just know they won't speak to me in the liquor store). I really was surprised to see and learn the "secrets". Having them is what makes people interested in it. I am sure there are some bad masons, I just haven't run accross one yet. have a great day.

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Anonymous ATS

My ego is not what made me post this topic. I am sorry if that is how you see it. It was actually ment for the other masons on this site to see and reply to so I could interact with them, as this is a great place to find a mason. I also want there to be no mystery of what I believe or say. As far as me missing out by going through 4-32 so quickly, I would agree. This is a new thing the valley came up with to boost mebership as not everyone has that much free time. I was asked to join the Scottish Rite by a good friend and I admit being able to say I am a 32nd sounded cool. But my friend who got me into masonry was a little upset with me jumping into things this far without knowing more about the blue lodge. I really am sorry you think the way you do about us. Maybe you will change yor mind if you meet a mason in person.

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Izarith

I am working toward further light in Masonry as well as life. I am certain I have just started the journey but those who are not on the bus have no chance of making it to their destination.

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Im a Marty

Marty,
Good luck on the journey. I have thouroghly enjoyed the ride so far. My advise is when you memorize what you will have to for the first, keep it in the old grey matter for a little while. It will make the next ones easier.
Please let me know when you find the big secret.
Mike

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

Rockpuck,
you are the one I was convinced was a sleeper cell disinfo agent trying to infiltrate the masons from ATS.
Nice to hear from you but nobody has answered my question yet. What led you to this path?
Have a great day sir.

Mike

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by network dude

Rockpuck,
you are the one I was convinced was a sleeper cell disinfo agent trying to infiltrate the masons from ATS.
Nice to hear from you but nobody has answered my question yet. What led you to this path?
Have a great day sir.

Mike

I don't know if you meant to say Mason infiltrating ATS or ATS infiltrating Masonry lol.

But it was actually a member of ATS infiltrating Masonry.

I don't like to .. not know things. I like to know everything, or at the very least assume I know everything.

I didn't know what Freemasonry was.. I had joined ATS and I was quite convinced that the world was coming to an end.. nuclear war was around the corner, the end of an age was coming, secret societies where everywhere! ..... But within a few weeks of joining I noticed the Freemasons of ATS spoke with eloquence.. even when insulting.. and they had an air of knowledge and intelligence. The common Anti however came across slow, dimwitted and ignorant.

I never really posted anything Anti-masonic.. I never really posted about Masonry at all, just read the forum, but I wanted to see what these men where all about.

So I was at work, and by chance a women I worked with was talking about her husband getting his 32nd... I was like hey, I want to join .. I was only 19 and the law had just changed form 21 to 19 and apparently no one from my lodge went to that year communication because no one knew the law changed.

So I was denied.

Then about 4 months later or so after talking to the same woman again and to Apak online here at ATS, I went to the lodge, took the tour, talked to some Masons, made some instant friends and have had the same Masonic mentor since that day (the same woman's husband).

Now through my journey in Masonry, and coming into my own as an adult.. I can say that Masonry has shaped the way I am. Remember back to being 18-20 years old, your far from grown up. I believe Masonry has helped me grow in more ways then others, because I am growing up through Masonry it's self. I may not attend every meeting, but I do my damnedest not to miss one.

I joined Freemasonry expecting something different, I learned that Masonry has never been duly explained on the Internet, I know that so many people would benefit by joining and I feel that if more people practiced the TEACHINGS of Masonry, be it Mason or not, the world would be a better place.

And I like to think I give back to the Masonic community by making my posts with as much sincerity as possible, and I like to think that I have gained the respect of other Freemasons on ATS. And while ATS may not allow recruiting, through members on ATS more and more are understanding Masonry is not what the haters make it out to be, and more and more are joining their own local lodges and experiencing it for themselves.

I have no respect for a man who fears an institution and cannot gather the nerve to experience the unknown. I have no respect for those who preach against the actions of others, their way of belief, or the institutions that they belong to .. without fully understanding WHY. But I do have respect for those that when I say "speak to a lodge" and they do, and they join, and they learn everything they where wondering. There is a reason Freemasonry does not advertise, and we do not ask members to join .. we look only for a certain caliber of man .. someone truly searching for the light that Masonry offers.

To the actual reasons we all join, they are many and very complex. No one can say one reason or another above all others, so many are buried and subconscious, a yearning for something more, something bigger, something ancient. I believe many search for the bonds between men that are broken in the cold age we live in. I can say I wanted to join just to know what it is, but it is much more then that. Freemasonry is not the center of a Masons life.. but the teachings are, and in the end, it's the teachings we all search for. Light.

Anyways, I hope that answers your question Brother Mike. Names Steve by the way, it's good to semi officially meet you.

posted on Jun, 7 2008 @ 06:30 AM
link   
Hello Rockpuck,

Hello

I’m sorry if I offended you or any Freemason.

I have wanted to join for so long. You don’t know the longing I have to be able to be around men I can call my brother. Every time I pass by a loge, every time I meet a sweet old man radiating energy that just makes my day I feel wonder and sorrow for not being a better man like them, like you.

But I just can’t do it. Some thing in my hart tells me that something is wrong, something is missing.

So I search in books, on the net, Freemasons them selves. But I can’t find the answer with in my self on why I feel that Freemasonry of today is the commercialized fast food version of what Freemasonry really is.

It just doesn’t feel right to be accepted into Freemasonry so easy. I hear the call of Freemasonry but I am not allowed to prove myself if I am thrown into it so fast so easily. I don’t even have to ask three times for christ sakes

I want to learn. Not about how to Identify or feel cool like I’m a spy or how to get favors. But who I am, where I come from, what I can be and why life is the way it is. I want to learn how to be a better man, a good man.

So I foolishly try it on my own. I take this journey that you speak of blind, I guide myself and now I am lost. I have the cold wind to my face. I feel so alone, and my bones grow tired.

I want to join so bad but I can not if what is visible is shown and that that is not visible is hidden.

I’m sorry again if I offend you. But beware that false fire that burns out illuminates too.

I wish you all luck in finding the true incorruptible light of entirety.

posted on Jun, 7 2008 @ 08:32 AM
link   
Thank you Steve,

That is what I was asking. And I even got a little bit more. I only wish I could have joined when I was a punk at 19. I had much more important things to do as I already knew everything.
I only hope to pass on the teachings to my children to help make them better people. Thank you for taking the time to pass on your history. I first got the spark of interest in masonry from this site ironicly enough. After hearing the masons as you did, I decided to look further into what it might be.

Izarith, you sound like you already have the idea well under control. I would say if you keep living your life always trying to improve, there is nothing more anyone can ask of you. You don't have to be a mason to be called brother. You might benefit from the most important thing I took away from the Scottish Rite. Don't try to be better than someone else, try to be better than yourself.

Have a nice day

Mike

new topics

top topics

join