It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Brazil To Use Nuclear Submarine To Protect Oil Fields

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Brazil To Use Nuclear Submarine To Protect Oil Fields

www.lloyds.com

SAO PAULO -(Dow Jones)- Brazil's government will use a planned nuclear-powered submarine to protect the country's offshore oil fields, Defense Minister Nelson Jobim said Wednesday.

According to the minister, Brazil will spend about 1 billion reals ($613 million) to build a nuclear submarine.

Jobim made the statement during televised testimony before a congressional committee. He said the submarine will be used exclusively for defense, and won't carry nuclear arms.

Brazilian state-controlled energy giant Petroleo Brasileiro (PBR), or Petrobras, has made a number of important new offshore finds in recent months.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 11:51 AM
link   
hmmmm i wonder what has got Brazil so `jittery` over oil - could it be a northern country invading for oil maybe?

www.lloyds.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Yeah same with Myanmar who told us they dont want our aid because they are afraid we will invade them for oil....I mean this is the reputation we are getting around the world and the majority I dont even think cares. Pathetic.

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 12:39 PM
link   
I do not get why they need a nuclear sub for that job? It costs a lot more then diesel and for coastal patrolling several diesels are better then one nuclear.
Maybe they are planning to join Russian/Scandinavian/Canadian dispute over Arctic oil too?

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 12:55 PM
link   
i think its to `prove a point` that they can build nuke boats

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 01:11 PM
link   
I think it needs to be made clear for those that are not aware that nuclear powered submarines and submarines capable of carrying and launching nuclear weapons are two completely different things.

Now that we have that established, I would say this is far more directed at terrorist groups, drug cartels or pirates who would attempt to seize oil fields and rigs.

I know its common for people to assume other country's measures to protect oil assets are aimed at the United States, and believe me, the United States fully deserves that negative reputation.

But in this particular case, one submarine, no matter what country built it, could not stand up to the United States Navy if the United States, for what ever reason, decided to seize Brazilian oil fields. The United States has the most powerful Navy in the world. Its not even close.

I believe Brazil knows that as well, which is why I believe this move is not directed at the United States.

[Edit for spelling]

[edit on 6/5/08 by NovusOrdoMundi]

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 01:20 PM
link   
I say fairplay to Brazil. When everyone talks about these emerging developing countires such as China India and Russia everyone seems to forget Brazil whose GDP ,i believe, has risen more than all of these. It is an appropriate response to finding such wealth around in their waters.

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 01:24 PM
link   
reply to post by NovusOrdoMundi

we all know the differences between nuke carrying and nuke powered - which is why zeroknowledge asked why not build diesel boats - do the same job , but cheaper and get more for your money. nuke boats are nothing like cheap to build

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Harlequin
which is why zeroknowledge asked why not build diesel boats - do the same job , but cheaper and get more for your money.

Thats not true at all. Diesel Submarines have a battery powered engine that could only last a few hours under water when traveling at top speeds. Nuclear Submarines can last 20+ years without even refueling because they use very little fuel.

Nuclear Submarines are far more energy efficient and last a lot longer.

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by NovusOrdoMundi

thats not strictly true - and an AIP boat is the quiestest thing in the ocean - even an LA boat can`t find one all of the time , of in fact any of the time according to the swedish navy who leased an AIP diesel boat to the USN.

and diesel boats don`t run around at full speed on batteries at all.

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Harlequin
and diesel boats don`t run around at full speed on batteries at all.

I didn't claim they did. I was merely comparing the lifespan. When it comes to efficiency and lifespan, I would say Nuclear Submarines are the better way to go, making it the better investment.

But I think you're missing the point. Whether it is one Diesel Submarine or one Nuclear Submarine, that is not enough to defend against a United States Navy invasion or attack. This is very clearly aimed at far less armed groups who would attempt to steal the oil in the area.

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 01:47 PM
link   
erm 1 sub in good hands will tear apart a carrier group - been done many times in exercises.

sub hunting is an artform slowly being lost , its all well an good having ` uberscoobyimba sensor 9000ultra` but if the operator isn`t skilled in using it , then it might as wll be eyeball mk1

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 01:49 PM
link   
well.. I can't read the source since it takes forever on this machine. So, basically, Brazil needs to build a nuke sub to what 'seems' to be a oil field below the surface of the sea? Otherwise if it's on land, why even build one?

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 01:50 PM
link   
The US Navy announced last month--a month after the Brazilians and Argentinians announced that they were going to build these nuclear-powered subs (from a French "Scorpion" class design)--that we would reconstitute the Fourth Fleet.

Well, guess where the Fourth Fleet was and will again be based? You got it, the Caribbean and the East Coast of South America.

What a surprise.

South America is the new Middle East.

Edit to add: Note also that these are "attack" subs--that is, hunters.

[edit on 5-6-2008 by gottago]

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by gottago

Soooo the U.S. Navy responded to Brazil's attempt a month before to get nuclear subs by bringing in the 4th Fleet. Well that makes sense. Venezuela ironically wanted a couple of submarines as well. Venezuela is north of Brazil.

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 02:17 PM
link   
reply to post by deltaboy

Yeah, this is pretty obvious what's going on if you['ve been following the developments:

First, Brazil and Argentina together announce a nuclear energy program

Brazil discovers a huge offshore oil field, then another

Both countries announce the nuclear-powered attack sub program, using French technology

The US announces the reconstitution of the Fourth Fleet

Brazil announces that its subs will protect its oil fields

No brainer.

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Brazil and argentina allready have working nuclear power - BUT , and heres the big `IF` , what if brazil allready has nuclear weapons? even the design that south africa used would be `enough`

new topics

top topics

join