It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Plan for quake 'warning system'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Plan for quake 'warning system'

news.bbc.co.uk

Nasa scientists have said they could be on the verge of a breakthrough in their efforts to forecast earthquakes.

Researchers say they have found a close link between electrical disturbances on the edge of our atmosphere and impending quakes on the ground below.

Just such a signal was spotted in the days leading up to the recent devastating event in China.

They have teamed up with experts in the UK to investigate a possible space-based early warning system.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Quake Watch 2008
An Experiment in Alternative Methods of Earthquake Prediction

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Well, this certainly looks to be an interesting development. If they are close to a break through in prediction of earthquakes, this could mean a lot of lives saved, particularly on scales similar to those of the recent one in China.

If this is indeed done then we could maybe be able to predict event tied into quakes as well, like tsunamis or volcanic activity. Just think if we could have known the 2004 Boxing day one would hit, a lot of damage could have been prevented.

The fact that the time will be difficult to forecast could be a problem, but even so the accuracy of 'the next day' would help in some cases.

Evidently they were wrong when they said they couldn't predict earthquakes, or it would be impossible.

Edit; Or, the electrical phenomena are HAARP and they feel like disclosing something,

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 5-6-2008 by apex]

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Excellent post.... I could never understand why they would say that EQ's couldn't be predicted, although they always left signs of there arrival, it's just that the signals could only be understood by animals, etc.
Every "natural" event on this planet that happens, has precursors before, but science hasn't been able to identify them yet. Look how long they thought they couldn't predict tornadoes, then they found a way to identify the storm systems that produce them.

It will be good to see where this goes..

starred and flagged

[edit on 5-6-2008 by damntheptb]

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 12:16 PM
link   
as soon as i can find the link i will post it . this is not a discovery of nasa . it was discovered by a university professor and his students but was not excepted because it was never done on a large scale test and only in the classroom experiment .
as soon as i dig it up i will post it .

top topics

join