It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unexplained ground heat burns boy's feet

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Unexplained ground heat burns boy's feet

www.koaa.com

There was no fire, but the ground was hot enough in a Colorado Springs park to burn through an eight year old boy’s shoes and cause at least second degree burns on his feet. The boy went the hospital. His Crocs style shoes that were left behind have big holes with burned edges.

After the boy was treated and sent to the hospital firefighters took surface readings that showed hard to believe temperatures. According to Chief Matthews, "The highest temperature we got at the surface of the soil with the sun shining on it was 800 degrees, which is pretty darn significant. Radiant heat from the sun will get it up around 150, 160 degrees, but not to that level."
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.kktv.com
www.roguegovernment.com

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 10:24 AM
link   
This should fit squarely in the "Alternative News" slot. This seems to be a true mystery. HAARP? An unknown caldera? Satellite weapons testing? Not much information, let alone leads, is given in the news article.

Any ATSers here who happen to live in Colorado Springs? Has there been any speculation on the local TV and radio news, and talk shows, as to what might be the cause of this phenomenon? I have to say it boggles my mind!

www.koaa.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 10:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Areal51

What a strange incident! A little scary, too. Be sure to keep us posted if you manage to find out more about this case.

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 10:30 AM
link   
The official explanation was that coal refuse was dumped here years ago, and was ignited by exposure to the sun. They're removing as much as possible, and burying what they cant remove as deep as they can. At least this is what's been reported by our local news.

[edit on 6/5/2008 by Unit541]

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Any seismic activity noticed in the region?

Sudden emanations of heat underground like this could be related to volcanic activity.

I did some searching and it looks like Pikes Peak was formed by volcanic activity so It's not unheard of in the region.

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 10:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Gools

That was the first thing I thought of to when reading the title.
Will be very interesting to see what they come up of here...

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 10:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Unit541

That's interesting. It sounds plausible -- but only because coal is being mentioned. I really have no idea if that reason is possible or likely to occur. Hmm... I would like to see some evidence about how buried coal can be heated by the Sun to reach 800 degrees Fahrenheit.

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 10:55 AM
link   
It may be as simple as a place called Sespe Hot Springs in California.

The way the earth has thrust the layers up - an anti-cline? - allows an underground stream to be heated to past the boiling point where it comes out of a mountain-side.

Nice part is, it runs into a stream where it cools down.
There are several pools dug out and the further upstream you go toward the fork where the stream and hot water flow come together makes a series of differing temperature pools.

As a small aside, the Manson Family used to visit the area now and then.
One of their lawyers disappeared in the area and has never been found.

I wonder if the Colorado area has had any earthquakes in the last few months that could create an anti-cline or a crack that allows heated magma close to the surface?
Or has the area always been known for its hot ground?

Some of the tar that flows out of the oil-rich hills between Ojai and Santa Paula, California can be darned near impossible to extinguish when ignited.
The flows are small and get ignited from brush fires that are somewhat common to the area.
I believe all of the surface fires are out, but there's smoldering going on a little ways underground.
For many years from what I understand and it doesn't like like it will be stopping or extinguished any time soon.

There's a fairly good tar flow that enters the ocean near Point Conception and flows south due to the littoral current.
The chunks of tar break into small pieces and usually end up on the beaches.
Spending a day at the beach would usually end with a few chunks of tar stuck to your bare feet if you'd been swimming in the ocean.

Mother Nature is a strange lady, but always interesting....

[edit on 5-6-2008 by Desert Dawg]

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 11:11 AM
link   
one possibility is artificial turf, if there is any in the park.

link

this link is to the first article that pops up when googling "artificial turf burns feet".

The extremely high temperatures of artificial turf are well known and many athletes and coaches, etc suffer burns all the time from it.

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Areal51
reply to post by Unit541

That's interesting. It sounds plausible -- but only because coal is being mentioned. I really have no idea if that reason is possible or likely to occur. Hmm... I would like to see some evidence about how buried coal can be heated by the Sun to reach 800 degrees Fahrenheit.

The coal was not heated by the sun to reach 800 degrees.
The exposed coal was ignited by the sun, which in turn ignited the underground coal.
This place is relatively near to my home.
www.offroaders.com...

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 09:10 PM
link   
Yeah, that makes more sense than what I was thinking. Thanks for the clarification!

The magma angle that others have mentioned sounds interesting as well. Especially since there are hot springs in the area of the incident. Yeah, probably just a natural occurence, rather than anything conspiratorial.

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 09:56 PM
link   
I don't know if this is significant, but there was a 2.5 and 2.6 at yellowstone yesterday. Moving magma?

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 05:30 AM
link   
Here's the first thread

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 05:51 AM
link   
the article says that neighbors report the area was 'blackened for years'.
which is so-so & unreliable information in my book.

In all those years why haven't people reported uncomfortably high surface temperatures before this incident??

probab;y because the victim was in the early stages of SHC (spontaneous-human-combustion) and the heat source wasn't an underground thermal vent or hot spring or buried coal that ignited fom a lightning strike sometime in the past.
i'd suggest the ground retained some of the localized heat which radiated from the SHC episode the boy had, he's fotunate he wasn't totally consumed in the abbreviated encounter.

or, & this is exotic, the boy might have encountered a mini black-hole that theoretically wander through the galaxy... he was not obliberated because his position was only on the fringes of the event-horizon...

linear thought does not always reveal the reality
thanks,

~~~~

as i later revisited the OP link and related stories, i also looked at the photo of the yellow-taped off area...
there's trees and bushes all around !, however the dirty looking sand does look like the dirty soil up there in Carbondale, Pennsylvania which has an underground coal fire going on for (as far as i recollect) neigh on 50 years
but the PA fire has killed all the foilage thereabouts.. it reminds me of a Mars scape.

[edit on 6-6-2008 by St Udio]

posted on Jun, 8 2008 @ 12:43 AM
link   
I live in the area and personally I am not aware of any coal mining, this is also in a residential area that is pretty close to the face of the mountains, there is a scar on one of the mountains where there is potential mining going on but that is the only potential area for mining that I am aware of.

posted on Jun, 8 2008 @ 12:45 AM
link   
If your walking around the active geothermal areas in Nevada and you feel your shoes cooking I would suggest moving quickly, as you may be standing on a new fumerole about to break surface..

I hear one or two tourists dropped into one that way... they rope off the open ones, but they can form anywhere in the area

Talk about being sucked straight to hell!

posted on Jun, 8 2008 @ 12:48 AM
link   
I would be happy to look into this personally but my google earth is broken could someone post an aerial view of the park?

posted on Jun, 8 2008 @ 12:54 AM
link   
Coclorado Springs is known for thermal hot springs and is even named for it.

Is it TRUE that you cant have a hot springs without it being connected somehow to a volcano? I think I read this....so there MUST be a volcano in that area...

posted on Jun, 8 2008 @ 12:56 AM
link   
I am not aware of any. The scar is located in Queens canyon and it is generally off limits to the public as far as I know. I think the road that goes up to it is called mason's gulch or something like that, but I can't remember.

posted on Jun, 8 2008 @ 12:59 AM
link   
Why is the public not allowed?
hmmmm MAYBE there is something strange there that causes sudden ground hot flashes? Something odd we do not know anything about being hidden there?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join