It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Truth about REALITY

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2004 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Its simple Quantum Physics...Nothing exists, truly, until it is observed.

--Those who are not shocked by quantum physics have not yet understood it.
---Neils Bohr

posted on Mar, 3 2004 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Huh? Are you talking about the uncertainty of quantum physics? Or the way matter pops in and out of existence?

posted on Mar, 3 2004 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by projectgeneva

---Neils Bohr

I don't know about that. I think that we human always want to verify things. If there is a creature that exist in the deepest depths of the ocean, even though no human has seen it, it still exist. I think your following the "If a tree falls in a forest" ideal.

posted on Mar, 3 2004 @ 11:55 AM
link   
That's why String Theory is so controversial. You can�t observe or test it. Some argue that it is not science but philosophy. How about black holes, we can�t see them but we can see their influence on other celestial objects. So is that proof?

posted on Mar, 3 2004 @ 12:08 PM
link   

---Neils Bohr

I have read this over and over again and thought that it was the most humanly arrogent thing that I have ever heard. Ya right, the moon does not exist unless someone is looking at it! Until I thought about it philosophicly. Any phenomenon does not exist in your reality until you percieve it. Before that time it is just a mass of possibilities. I can only hope that this is what he actually meant.

posted on Mar, 3 2004 @ 12:08 PM
link   

---Neils Bohr

Perhaps you are referring to
Schroedingers "cat paradox" paper"

www.emr.hibu.no...

posted on Mar, 3 2004 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by NetStorm

---Neils Bohr

www.emr.hibu.no...

See though, you can look at it two ways. Either it hinges on the 'Many worlds' theory or it simply has to do with probability, but I am sure that the cat knows if it is dead.

posted on Mar, 3 2004 @ 12:16 PM
link   
You could look at it the other way.
Everything exists until you have proven that it doesn't!!!!

posted on Mar, 3 2004 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Leveller

I won't quit my job just yet to wait for a lepricon (sp?) to show up at my door with a pot of gold.

posted on Mar, 3 2004 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Leveller

You can't prove a negative.

posted on Mar, 3 2004 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jonna

---Neils Bohr

www.emr.hibu.no...

See though, you can look at it two ways. Either it hinges on the 'Many worlds' theory or it simply has to do with probability, but I am sure that the cat knows if it is dead.

Ahhh so true..but the "observer" does not know if the cat is dead or alive until they open the box, thus the cat is both dead AND alive until the box is opened

posted on Mar, 3 2004 @ 12:43 PM
link   
"Reality is the illusion created by the lack of alcohol."
- some drunk guy

posted on Mar, 3 2004 @ 12:46 PM
link   

---Neils Bohr

I have read this over and over again and thought that it was the most humanly arrogent thing that I have ever heard. Ya right, the moon does not exist unless someone is looking at it! Until I thought about it philosophicly. Any phenomenon does not exist in your reality until you percieve it. Before that time it is just a mass of possibilities. I can only hope that this is what he actually meant.

i think this "your reality" approach makes sense and lies at the heart of the problem with today's societies. too many people want to compare, there is not enough free thinking or shall i say, thinking out of the box in this country and others.

posted on Mar, 3 2004 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Ahhh so true..but the "observer" does not know if the cat is dead or alive until they open the box, thus the cat is both dead AND alive until the box is opened

I think that there is such a problem with it for people because of the way that it is worded. For the reality of the observer this is true. It is like waiting for someone to read off the winning lottery numbers as you eagerly hold a ticket in your hand. You have the possibility of both winning and not winning. Your reality is currently in limbo, but the possibilities will soon divide themselves and an actual reality will come into view.

The cat knows if it is still alive, but to the observer's reality there exists only the possibility of a dead cat or an alive cat.

Do you turn invisible when you are asleep with no one to see you?

posted on Mar, 3 2004 @ 04:00 PM
link   
speak focking sensibly please

posted on Mar, 3 2004 @ 04:06 PM
link   
then God doesn't exist... cuz icant "see" him right?
so i guess were all atheists then, right?
HEY, this means we DON'T have to obey the commandments!
*runs to go kill long time enemy Steve the surfer dude*
so believing in God is like quitting my day job to go search for the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow?.....Focking funny

posted on Mar, 3 2004 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by retardedgenius
then God doesn't exist... cuz icant "see" him right?
so i guess were all atheists then, right?
HEY, this means we DON'T have to obey the commandments!
*runs to go kill long time enemy Steve the surfer dude*
so believing in God is like quitting my day job to go search for the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow?.....Focking funny

I have absolutly no idea what you are ranting about! Please explain.

posted on Mar, 4 2004 @ 10:28 AM
link   

---Neils Bohr

This is exactly what I meant. Everyone just needs to look at the expirament with two holes. Electrons choose how they act depending on who is watching. They know wether or not they are being observed and act on it.

posted on Mar, 4 2004 @ 10:33 AM
link   
A good text that might help is the book called "In search of schrogingers cat." Unbelievable text. What I speak of is the constant defining of quantum wave function. Its like if your using quantum algebra, AB does not = BA.
Same in quantum matricies.

[Edited on 3/4/2004 by projectgeneva]

posted on Mar, 4 2004 @ 10:56 AM
link   
I am going a bit into my own beliefs, but lets take your statement word for word.

What if there is a base realm that is beyond the one that we refer to as 'existence'? What if 'existence' is merely an illusion that we see because of our divided forms/ego/consciousness? What if existence is only formed because of our perception of the 'I' and the 'Other' (duality)? The statement would then be valid.

The next question then becomes: What is the pure form of what simply 'IS' without our perception of it which turns it into what we call 'existence' or the birth of duality?

I actually spend several years studying quantum machanics/string theory/m-theory in an attempt to find the TRUE nature of reality. What, I believe, that I found is stranger and greater that anything that I imagined.

Pure Energy in its simplest form=undivided consciousness=absolute reality=(what people would refer to as) the god thing=the void

This was a huge change for me because I was an athiest before the discovery. Take of it what you will, but I believe it as Absolute Truth.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join