It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Councils snoop into phone records of 1,000 callers

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 06:49 AM
link   

Councils snoop into phone records of 1,000 callers

www.mirror.co.uk

Nearly 1,000 people's phone records have been investigated by council snoopers, it was revealed yesterday.

The surveillance powers for tracking terrorists have been used to probe everything from a bogus faith healer to dog smuggling.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.dailymail.c o.uk
news.google.co.uk
www.doncasterfreepress.co.uk

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 06:49 AM
link   
To be clear, this is happening in Britain. It could well be happening in other nations of "free" people too - I'm certain I've read of similar trespasses of the trust we place in our governments happening in the USA.

This isn't limited to phone calls, it also involves councils reading private emails as sent and received by U.K citizens, the usual photographing and logging of individuals during their day and night activities plus checking a persons bank details.

www.mirror.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 5/6/08 by Rapacity]

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 06:56 AM
link   
Phone spies: Town halls using anti-terror powers to bug residents' calls and emails

Town hall snoopers used controversial anti-terror powers to delve into the phone and email records of thousands of people last year.

They wanted to check for evidence of dog smuggling and storing petrol without permission - and even to trace a suspected bogus faith healer...

..Many of those spied upon will have no idea they have been subjected to surveillance, as those who are innocent have no right to know.

Last night Shadow Home Secretary David Davis said: 'This is a stark demonstration of how the surveillance society has got out of control with the improper use of very broad powers - powers that the public would expect to be used only for serious crime and security threats.'

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 07:08 AM
link   
Nice to see Britain is now becoming like East Germany and the Council are operating like the Stasi

Looks like I'll end up being waterboarded soon.

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 08:11 AM
link   
European Union - Soviet Union. Is this really being hid from us anyway

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 08:14 AM
link   
I am not familiar with the 'traditionally accepted' methods used in your country to carry out such invasive investigative processes.

Here in the US we 'sort of' hold to the judicially approved warrant empowering law enforcement to transgress the lines of privacy for the purpose of apprehending criminals. (I say 'sort of' because, like in your country, the system seems to be undergoing a re-write from within, and many of these failsafe checks and balances are being removed without the people's input).

Is it correct to presume that in your country this 'council' is a way to refer to the law enforcement's prosecutorial component? How can they re-designate anti-terrorism powers to apply to domestic crime without oversight?

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 10:01 AM
link   
When we give our majority elected political representatives the right to impose regulations onto us without public consultation and consent then we elect them to dictate our use of Free Will.

In a free and liberal society where man, woman and all type of other sentient, intelligent creature have the right of Free Will as restricted by evolved social regulation as imposed by laws created by social piers, laws which (by virtue of Free Will) may be questioned and appealed by citizens when citizens feel they are unjustified, no-longer merited or wrongly applied then when an individual's action hinders the quality of another sentient being's Free Will, permission to conduct that action must first be sought from the recipient of the proposed action. It should never be a right of a few elected political representatives to impose their will by expense and despite their electors' rights to be consulted and to give or not give consent for any imposition.

When our elected political representatives self-assume the roles of law creator, police, juror, judge and executioner; when those representatives abuse their self-assumed powers then we have no Free Will as given us all by God almighty and as fought for and won by our forefathers in their personal feuds with politicians, local government administrators, busy bodies and neighbours aswellas by their participation in wars against tyranny, genocide, dictatorship and other enemies of Free Will. Those rights once won by our forefathers are now being lost by the many spineless and blind who refuse to sacrifice their mod-cons for the greater luxury of socially regulated freedom.

What have we done? Why have we allowed these self-serving, power-mongering politicians to take our rights from us and others outside of our own nations? How long before they dish out those rights they've taken from us as parents bribe children to behave well by giving sweets?

For the sake of ourselves and our children, we must take back from the elected representatives and employed civil servants our God given right to self administer Free Will by removing their self-assumed right to espy and document our private lives. We are not cattle or other farm animals. We are human beings - the collective holders of dominion over all other of this planet's creatures and resources. It is time we the masses rise-up and re-assert ourselves against those animals who are supposed to represent us. We must do this now before it is too late and before we are too weak and few to contemplate to ever breath that air of freedom that will only be available to those who would have themselves become the unelected elite. An elite who will control your every action from how you breath, where you may walk, with whom you may mate, to how and when you urinate.

LAH AKA Rapacity - before my time is done, I will steal back humanity for humanity.

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 10:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

Maxmars, "council" is fast becoming a by word for police force. Traditionally, though, the word council meant a town's/district's local governing body which consists of elected councilors whom should serve and represent their electorate by governing/supervising their staff of non-elected civil servants. But I think you know that anyway so that information is more to help those who did not.

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 10:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Rapacity

A noble sentiment, a fine analysis. From the US I send you my best regards and moral support.

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Maxmars
reply to post by Rapacity

A noble sentiment, a fine analysis. From the US I send you my best regards and moral support.

Thank you.

All support is appreciated.

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 10:51 AM
link   
I'm not at all surprised that we are being snooped on in the UK. I find it a total invasion of our privacy but in the climate of fear thats been generated regarding 'terror attacks' its likely to continue.
What I find most disturbing is that its Councils doing the snooping! Is trying to get your kid in to a good school and fibbing about where you live a crime? Surely there are bigger fish to fry? Where I live the council tax was increased yet again this year, presumably to pay for the surveillance of these hardened criminals?
I guess its easier to let the murderers and the muggers run the streets and crack down on people lying about where they live or fly-tipping instead. Bugging phones and tapping email is much safer i suppose.
I know where I would prefer my taxes to go....

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by xtr3m3paranoia

The bit that really narcs me is that we have a police service that is supposed to investigate criminal activities. Why the hell are councils acting as, I'd imagine, largely unregulated police? And, councils are not the only parties able to do so.

The money that councils currently spend on investigations and witch-hunts (remember that innocent people are not told of investigations into their activities) should be given to the real police to enable real police officers to be visible on our streets.

For those who do not know, policing in the U.K is largely done remotely by use of CCTV; and many people would prefer more (in some cases, a first for many years) local neighborhood beat-walking police officers rather than a camera, speaker and operator.

Some of the allowances of the act have been printed on the Dailymail.co.uk website (image linked below).

(Advice on re-sizing that image welcome)

Pay particular attention to those agencies that can invoke the act - Royal Mail (postal service), NHS trust (Health Service), the Fire Service..?

I'm already aware that the Royal Mail record the names of addressees on letters but come on, will they ever really need to read emails, snoop in on phone calls or place someone to photograph people having letters delivered to them?

Knowing who may use this piece of legislature, I am concerned that all groups entitled to invoke it might co-operate to completely covertly spy on anybody within the U.K. This is more than frightening.

[edit on 5/6/08 by Rapacity]

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 04:48 AM
link   
Co uncil accused of invasion of privacy after 'snooping' on household bins

A council has been accused of a "gross" invasion of privacy after it emerged that homeowners' rubbish bins were being examined without advanced warning.

The households were selected at random and the contents of their non-recycle bins inspected by university students.

Residents were only told about the investigation after the contents of their bins had been collected "to ensure that the sample was representative".

Mid Sussex District Council defended the move and said the rubbish was being analysed anonymously to see how much food waste people were throwing away.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This is quite sickening. Coupled with the idea currently circulating in parliament that households in newly built housing estates should be limited in the amount of rubbish they may throw away (possibly to be checked by weighing bins/trashcans), I'd say we're being encouraged to fly-tip else bury waste in our gardens. What's next?

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 04:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by infinite
Nice to see Britain is now becoming like East Germany and the Council are operating like the Stasi

Looks like I'll end up being waterboarded soon.

You and me both.

My how the stasi nazi brigade are gathering their powers against the little man to oppress and spread fear..

This country should hang its head in shame.

top topics

join