It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Has anyone here read Above Black?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2004 @ 11:38 PM
link   
Spoiler or two ahead!

Ok, I read "Above Black."

While it was an interesting read, I think it should most likely be re-title to "Above Bollocks!"

Aside from the usual, "I cannot provide any proof" foward that seems be required of almost all UFO books, there were several red-flags that popped up while reading. The parts about his mother/genetic backround in the beginning of the book and his mis-adventure as a child in Florida at the end of the book were right out of an X-Files episode. He claimed to be some some sort of progeny of an alien/govt program involving his mother.

Hmmmm..?....shields up Sulu! were headed for not a black hole, but a BS hole!

He did give very detailed accounts and provided a degree in cryptology. That I found interesting. Still, it neither really confirms nor denies his story. Not knowing what a real degree in Cryptology looks like, I cannot refute and have to take his word. My quest for actual proof is never quite fully satisfied though.... But kudos to him for publishing his pic in the book(if that is him)

My favorite part of the read was how he gave the names to his alien contacts......."Bones(alien 2) has much more human feeling or texture than Spock(alien 1) was" wha?? Jes Chst! (i'm paraphrasing)

I think that the buyers of the book are most likey helping out the author's gambling debt or some other financial matter in his life. Someone earlier said the author does not appear to be just out to make a buck. With no disrespect to that person, I disagree. For one, he advertises on the Coasttocoastam website. That seems like invested advertising to attract buyers to me. That is one of the highest rated night time radio programs in the USofA! I highly doubt that advert space is not free or cheap. It also reaches thousands on a daily basis. Now if you think about it.......he is retired armed services under the amount of time to receive a pension. (or at least as I was able to discern from the book, if I am wrong, someone pls correct me)

Lack of pension after serving several years leaves us with a financial motive.
Hell! Most people don't even need that for a financial motive!

Ok, now for my math, if he sells.... lets say for argument's sake, fifty of those e-books a month....that is an extra $250 in his pocket per month. Multiply that by 12 months and you get....an extra $3000 a year in your pocket. Hey! Not too bad for a little self-financed novel written on a few free weekends over some cheap vino! Just enough to hit the track, bet on the ponies and still have a good time! Now that is just his e-books, nevermind his actual real-book sales. Remember, before any of you come down on me, my numbers are speculative.

God, I must sound really cynical to you guys. I don't know this poor fella personally, but my gut is screaming delusional or con-man.
I am just sick and tired of being let down by people making outrageous claims asking us to trust them on strictly good faith. I have a pile of UFO books that made just as big claims sitting in my closet collecting dust. Some of them even made predictions! Still waiting!?!? (Those books should be in my fireplace keeping my feet warm or at the bottom of a bird cage keeping feces warm)

SHOW ME SOME PROOF! It's all I and everyone else asks! Esp here at ATS!

Sagan said it best: "Extra-ordinary claims demand extra-ordinary proof."

On the slim chance to the better probablilty of getting attacked by a shark on dry land chance that he is telling the truth AND CAN PROVE IT, I give him my utmost and sincere apologies. Somehow, I do not think I will be having to apologize anytime soon. I will be pulling sharks teeth out of my rear-end in Oklahoma city before that happens.

The young kid in me hopes he is telling the truth.....

If you want to read the book, do so. It is an entertaining read and unique as far as UFO/ET books go. But I hope the money you give him at least goes to the winning horse/roulette table or other financial matter he is putting it towards.

Peace out and like the song says......."Don't stop believing!"

~Face

[Edited on 5-3-2004 by Facefirst]

posted on Mar, 5 2004 @ 11:53 PM
link   
Um, can you guys cool it a little I'm working real hard to win this book in the debate forum - I would like some mystery left in the prize so to speak.

posted on Mar, 6 2004 @ 12:09 AM
link   
It's a decent read for what's it about, fiction or not.

It kinda smells like a counter intelligence program for those that read the Dulce Papers. But hey, it was interesting. Just too short for my taste.

posted on Mar, 6 2004 @ 08:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phoenix
Um, can you guys cool it a little I'm working real hard to win this book in the debate forum - I would like some mystery left in the prize so to speak.

To be fair, he did let us know of spoilers in his post.

posted on Mar, 6 2004 @ 09:21 AM
link   
Something I've come to expect of anyone involved in Alien-related projects.....

Their own overinflated sense of purpose, and degree of importance...

However, I think that there is an underlying reason why. It's psychology. The "handlers" fill a candidate with a sense of purpose, maybe even tell him he's half alien, etc. This makes ensuring loyalty to the project a WHOLE lot easier. We've seen this in others too.... Another example would be Corso, with his handler (in this case General Twining) over-emphasizing Corso's importance, etc. So, I don't think that all of that necessarily discounts what Dan is claiming...but it is what Dan believes.... (after all, these guys are talking to aliens, and made him part of the project....supposedly, so wouldn't they be in a better position to know?) That's the psychology anyway, I believe....

As for the bucks.... Coast to Coast and UFO related ideas go way back, so it may not actually be costing him anything... Also, 50 copies, and $250 a month, isn't exactly getting rich, or even significantly adding to income...so no, I can't see that being the motive...and 50 copies is likely a high estimate....

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join