It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Team hopes to use new technology to search for ETs

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 06:02 AM
link   

Team hopes to use new technology to search for ETs

www.physorg.com

According to the researchers, the critical place to look is in the ecliptic, a great circle around the sky that represents the plane of Earth's orbit. The sun, as viewed from Earth, appears annually to pass along this circle. Any civilization that lies within a fraction of a degree of the ecliptic could annually detect Earth passing in front of the sun. This ecliptic band comprises only about 3 percent of the sky.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 06:02 AM
link   
I become a little uneasy when hearing about people trying to make contact with ET's.

If we haven't already made contact and already have them living here on our earth, then why would we want to make contact with them? How are we sure they are not going to be hostile? If we tell everyone out there that we are here AND they can get here, obviously they are more advanced than us.

We will be powerless if they decide they want to become our 'supreme overlords'.

I guess this hypothetical is not really worth considering due to my, and most ATS'ers, belief that contact has already been made.

www.physorg.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 06:18 AM
link   
reply to post by SilentShadow

SilentShadow, there are quite a few cosmologists who feel that "reaching out" to ET civilizations may be inviting disaster, just as you mentioned in your post.

I don't feel that way myself, but I do love hearing & learning about SETI projects...thanks for the link!

join