It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jackass

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 31 2002 @ 04:18 PM
link   
uk.news.yahoo.com...

Jack Ass Sues Over Jackass TV Show

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Jack Ass says "Jackass" has given him a bad name.

A Montana man who legally changed his name to "Jack Ass" in 1997 has sued media giant Viacom, claiming its stunt-heavy, gross-out TV show and movie "Jackass" had defamed his character.

In a suit filed in November in Montana and posted this week on a legal Web site, Jack Ass, who said he changed his name to raise awareness about the dangers of drunk driving, claimed Viacom was "liable for injury to my reputation that I have built and defamation of my character which I have worked so hard to create."

The suit asks for damages of $10 million or more. Jack Ass is representing himself.

Jack Ass, a journeyman power lineman by trade, said he changed his name from Bob Craft in late 1997 as part of a personal crusade against drunk driving after his brother and a friend were killed in a car crash. Theirs was the only vehicle involved.

A spokeswoman for Viacom referred calls on the suit to MTV Networks, its subsidiary which aired the "Jackass" show. A spokeswoman for MTV Networks said its policy was not to comment on pending litigation.

"Jackass," the show and movie, featured outrageous stunts and practical jokes. The show ran in 2000 and 2001 before it was cancelled. The movie, which came out earlier this year, made more than $60 million at the U.S. box office.

Earlier this month a New Mexico teenager died in what police said was an attempt to imitate a stunt he saw in the film. In November, a Seattle teenager suffered serious burns trying to imitate another stunt from the show.

Jack Ass runs a Web site (www.andiass.com) centred around a donkey-like cartoon character "Andi Ass," which touts T-shirts, baseball caps, souvenir beer bottles and a message of responsible drinking.

He also runs a non-profit service that sells heart-shaped markers to be placed at the sites of fatal accidents involving drivers, power line workers and for use in memorialising dead pets.

"I really want to emphasise the importance of this work," he told Reuters

I bet he planned the whole thing to get the money, just like the fat guy who tried to sue McDonalds

posted on Dec, 31 2002 @ 04:26 PM
link   
LOL! I read this story on CNN.com. Just goes to show that people will sue for anything these days.

posted on Dec, 31 2002 @ 05:55 PM
link   
You're right Ocelot, get your lawyer ready cause i'm coming after you, for what i don't know but i'm sure i can think of something silly. just kidding but i bet i'd win.

posted on Dec, 31 2002 @ 07:00 PM
link   
The kids who copy can't sue. That why they have a warning at begining of each show and after each commercial. So when a true jack@$$ does something stupid, can't sue. Also, isn't there a M or 17 rating for the show?

Al

posted on Jan, 1 2003 @ 03:35 PM
link   
The show is rated TVMA
for mature adiances only . but i think thats show is suid Funny but stupid. The kids who copy are Jackbottems.

join