It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Youtube now filtering by country

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 12:02 AM
link   
I was just on youtube searching some misc whatever.... killing time when I saw a youtube cartoon video of Karate kid just like any other time I decided to click it.... I am use to seeing stuff removed for being considered copyrighted material or what not but instead it said this "This video is not available in your country."..... I'm located in Canada on MTS(Sympatico) as my isp....

dunno about you guys but I don't think this type of filtering will be around to long or so I hope.....

upon googling the subject I found that others in other countries have had same experiences with other video's.....:S

[edit on 5-6-2008 by Plasmar]

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 12:17 AM
link   
I know that some Youtube users have special setup preventing users from certain countries from viewing their videos (for some reason). I.e. bbcworldnews doesn't allow viewers from the UK.

From their Youtube channel:

Sorry, but these clips are not available to users in the UK

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 12:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Hellmutt

I'd assume that would be because they want users in the UK to watch it on television, or at least view videos from their website. Seems pointless, but there is probably some revenue they might lose otherwise, I suppose.

Edit:

This has been happening on google for quite a while now also by the way.

It has to do with advertisers on the networks feeling they are getting the shaft if you can go view the videos on youtube. Go to the BBC and watch the videos, just like many other websites they have advertisments before some of the videos. Probably, depends on how many you watch, or maybe just after you watch a couple or something. Kind of like weather.com

[edit on 6/5/2008 by apolluwn]

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 12:39 AM
link   
I know this is true for Italy too due to me sharing videos with someone there.....many videos are blocked and the same message received "not available in this country"

top topics

join