It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stupid flies live longer: study

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Stupid flies live longer: study

news.yahoo.com

GENEVA (AFP) - It doesn't pay to be smart and ignorance really is bliss if you want a long life -- at least if you're a fly, according to new research by a Swiss university.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 08:45 PM
link   
I think this could probably apply to other species as well, especially humans. Its kind of already proven that smarter and successful humans produce very few offspring. While others go into survival mode and have litters. So now I wonder do stupid people not only multiply faster, but live longer too?

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Have you seen the film Idiocracy? It basically deals with the same subject, to a degree of frightening accuracy.

As for whether or not less intelligent people live longer, I think that point could be refuted, as people have the capability to make decisions on much higher levels than flies. Decisions which could have health implications, like deciding whether or not to smoke, or how to eat, etc.

According to the article, the scientist speculate that the flies actually wear out their tiny bodies with all the extra brainpower. It's amazing how delicate of a balancing act nature really is.

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 08:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by MikeboydUS
I think this could probably apply to other species as well, especially humans. Its kind of already proven that smarter and successful humans produce very few offspring. While others go into survival mode and have litters. So now I wonder do stupid people not only multiply faster, but live longer too?

Fascinating article, I never realized flies were capable of such things.

I don't think that is quite the case for humans though. Yes its true in Western society high iq means fewer offspring. I read somewhere that women with an iq of 140 or more often do not have any children at all.

Another fascinating thing to ponder, human females are very rare in that they do NOT realize when they are ovulating (as in there are no observable physical signs). Some scientists think that is because the trait was bred out. When human females developed the mental capacity to realize the signs of ovulation they would often avoid sex, so evolution favored those females that did NOT show signs.

Very valid concept in my opinion, in some places, like the mountains in Afghanistan women are often quite frightened by childbirth. A lot of the women die their trying to give birth, and because they are so isolated if they start to bleed out it can take days to get them to a hospital.

[edit on 4-6-2008 by Sonya610]

new topics

top topics

join