It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FEMA trailer occupant killed after police standoff

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 08:38 PM
link   

FEMA trailer occupant killed after police standoff

news.yahoo.com

NEW ORLEANS - Eric Minshew struggled with mental illness for many years and seemed to get much worse after Hurricane Katrina, according to his brother. Finally, when FEMA workers showed up to inspect his government-issue trailer, he snapped. Police shot and killed Minshew early Wednesday after a nearly 10-hour standoff in one of the neighborhoods hit hardest by the August 2005 hurricane.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 08:38 PM
link   
This is terrible. The guy sounded like he really needed some help.

What really bothered me was this quote

"He had a lot of serious mental issues and would all of a sudden go off on a rant about the government, the local, state government, the feds and everything else," his brother said. "He has some issues. He just snapped. Thank God nobody else got hurt."

Sounds like a conspiracy theorist who would probably fit well here on ATS.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 10:39 PM
link   
Something fishy here.

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 10:47 PM
link   
Quote from the source:

"The Federal Emergency Management Agency inspection was a first step toward taking the trailer away. FEMA has been pushing to get residents out of trailers, in part because of dangerous levels of formaldehyde fumes in many of them."

This is what makes me wonder. Sure, this guy was probably depressed as hell and wanting his life back, maybe he was even unstable, but his brother, in the article, says right off that he was a lot worse after Hurricane Katrina.
That's when he lost everything AND it was also when he was forced to live in a toxic cocktail of fumes, making him go completely off his rocker like he did.
If I was his family, I would try to sue FEMA, but we know how far THAT would go.
Funny how eveyone just assumes he was another "crazy". I feel kind of sorry for the guy.

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 11:25 PM
link   
reply to post by cmongo4

How's that old line go? You're not crazy if they're really after you.

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 11:29 PM
link   
reply to post by MikeboydUS

I know this post will most likely generate boo's and hisses, but here I go:

The man was 49 years old. If he had 'delusions' and other indications of mental illness all his life, why blame post Katrina for not getting any help? He had many years before Katrina to get help, or his family could have taken measures to ensure his mental health years before. No diagnoses of mental illness was ever made because he never sought help. If he were that bad off mentally I am sure that his family could have had him involuntarily treated way before Katrina hit. He shot at officers of the court, as well as raising his gun to police officers. What were they supposed to do, just let him shoot because a few years ago there was a hurricane there? Whatever.

I see so many people each week who lose their homes to fire, lose everything in moments, and the Red Cross or no other organization helps them relocate, they get 3 days in a hotel and a credit card with very little money on it , for their meals for a few days. They start over with nothing. And they make it. In less than usually 2 months they are adjusted. IMO , Katrina is no longer an excuse for not having a home, not having a job, not having a life. If they can't get on their feet 3 years later, then they never will. We had many New Orleans transplants come to out city to relocate, and for the most part they love it here, and adjusted beautifully. Our community embraced the chance to help those families, and welcome them here.

I do sympathize that the man lost a chance to own and fix up his family home, but from just the small amount of info given by his brother, it doesn't sound like that would have ever been possible even if Katrina had never happened.

new topics

top topics

join