It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Federal Judge Allows Blackwater To Open San Diego Facility

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 03:18 AM
link   
reply to post by xmotex

I have tons of family all over San Diego. None of them I asked gave a damn. Most just bitch about gas prices.
and the fires.

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 09:16 AM
link   
reply to post by scarlett1125

Originally posted by scarlett1125

Originally posted by jsobecky

Let's see...they are a legal, private company. They have broken no laws.

Why shouldn't they be able to operate in San Diego?

Just because you don't like them is not reason enough to keep them out, now is it?

Actually, the city has a right to decide what businesses can and can't operate in their city limits. If Blackwater misrepresented its operations there, the city of San Diego has every right to deny them the contract. I don't see where the federal judge had the right to overrule that decision, unless it was politically motivated.

You don't see where the judge has the right to overrule a decision? Seriously?

That's one of the pillars of our society - the legal system. The right to petition for redress is part of the First Amendment.

It's as plain as day to me. If Planned Parenthood were petitioning for an abortion clinic on this site, you folks would have no problem with that. And you would be citing the Constitution and every other document you could think of in your defense.

Yet because this is Blackwater, all I hear is "Eewwww! Not In My Back Yard!"

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by TXMACHINEGUNDLR
reply to post by xmotex

I have tons of family all over San Diego. None of them I asked gave a damn. Most just bitch about gas prices.
and the fires.

Well I wouldn't say the city is on the verge of a riot, but there is not much support for Blackwater here at all and a fair amount of opposition - surprising considering it's such a military city...

Then again the military people I talk to are not hugely enthusiastic about Blackwater. Interestingly, neither are other PMC's. I have an acquaintance on another forum who works for a different PMC (now in Afghan but was in Iraq prior), and even he is pretty bluntly anti-Blackwater - "they are stupid cowboys that get people killed" was the gist of his comment. This is a guy who worked with them regularly in Iraq.

PMC's by themselves, frankly, are an iffy proposition, and potentially a danger to the Republic.

Blackwater, with it's founder's well-documented connections to the extreme right, even more so.

Personally, with their very questionable record, they are the very last bunch I want training our sailors...

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 01:51 PM
link   

You do know that the US military does contract a fair amount of training out. Guess we'll have to kick out the Microsoft geeks when they are teaching a new software system to troops!

For the love of god! NOW i know why Iraq is in the crapper!

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by TXMACHINEGUNDLR

I agree! Lets start some regulating!

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Anonymous ATS
All of you do realize that the Naval Special Warfare Center is located in Coronado, California not far from San Diego. I think that should answer why it is where it is. I am not going to debate the rights and wrongs of Blackwater. I will say that the vast majority of Blackwater's employees are former military and law enforcement personel. These are men who are generally the best at what they do. By hiring these contractors it allows our military to shrink the size of our 'institutional " forces and allows us as a nation to have more boots on the ground as part of our "operational" forces.

Outside of any regulation and oversight and in a void of fiscal responsibility.

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by xmotex

Originally posted by xmotex
Then again the military people I talk to are not hugely enthusiastic about Blackwater. Interestingly, neither are other PMC's. I have an acquaintance on another forum who works for a different PMC (now in Afghan but was in Iraq prior), and even he is pretty bluntly anti-Blackwater - "they are stupid cowboys that get people killed" was the gist of his comment. This is a guy who worked with them regularly in Iraq.

I often wonder about people who maintain that "All the folks I've talked to about such and such are against it".

I wouldn't doubt it if they initiated the conversation with a snicker and a slow shake of the head and something like "Blackwater. Pffft."

Originally posted by xmotex

PMC's by themselves, frankly, are an iffy proposition, and potentially a danger to the Republic.

Blackwater, with it's founder's well-documented connections to the extreme right, even more so.

So you want all gov't contractors to pass your own political litmus test before they are given a contract? Do they need to be card-carrying members of Greenpeace or the ACLU? Or maybe CodePink?

The Founding Fathers are spinning in their graves over that one, I'm sure.:shk:

[edit on 6-6-2008 by jsobecky]

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 03:13 PM
link   

So you want all gov't contractors to pass your own political litmus test before they are given a contract? Do they need to be card-carrying members of Greenpeace or the ACLU? Or maybe CodePink?

I would settle for a lack of a political litmus test, no fixed-bid, and congressional oversight.

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by wytworm

What makes you think they have no oversight?

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Notice that the only people arguing what a "great" idea this is are MILITARY PEOPLE?

lmao

Nuff said...

As others have stated, this "merc company" operates by its own set of rules and laws, often with impunity. People should not have to be intimidated into letting them do it in their back yard--Period.

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by jsobecky

The news.

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by DimensionalDetective
Notice that the only people arguing what a "great" idea this is are MILITARY PEOPLE?

lmao

Nuff said...

As others have stated, this "merc company" operates by its own set of rules and laws, often with impunity. People should not have to be intimidated into letting them do it in their back yard--Period.

I noticed that as well, DimenstionalDetective. I think this quote of someone on the Blackwater thread I created elsewhere explains it plain and simple.

Originally posted by Maxmars
I love the part where the phrase ... "can readily be expanded to supplying brigade-sized forces for humanitarian purposes, peacekeeping and low-level conflict." comes up!

When your business is training to kill, or kill those your against, the word 'humanitarian' should not be in your vocabulary.

By the way, the fact that this is an 'unauthorized' book doesn't make it any less an exercise in butt-kissing the new right-wing boy toys.

I took that quote from a thread I began about a month ago here :

Blackwater : Right-Wing Conservative America, Whether You Like It Or Not...

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 03:32 PM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

Don't exaggerate or get hysterical. Those arguing in favor of Blackwater are citing the Constitution, the legal system, and the laws. They would use the same arguments regardless of the client.

Not their "feelings" or "emotions" or "wants", which is what you and your ilk want to use. Lack of logic or reason. Simply your desires for your own fantasy world.

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by wytworm

The news.

No wonder you're confused.

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky

Originally posted by wytworm

The news.

No wonder you're confused.

Right back atcha

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 04:01 PM
link   

No, I don't think private armies should exist in the United States, period.

They're a threat to the Republic, especially when they have a political agenda.

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by DimensionalDetective

Actually, I'm thinking it's great thru a business standpoint.

Personally, I think Blackwater sucks. And there are a lot of military members who agree with me.

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 04:37 PM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

Well I'm not arguing that this is either a great or stupid idea, just that the hysteria over blackwater is just another facet of the populist propaganda being spread on ATS. I don't care either way, but as a REAL libertarian I know its wrong to buy into populist hysteria like this in order to interfere with private or public business.

And by the way...I'm not in the military. Nor is anyone in my immediate family.

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 05:00 PM
link   
Uh oh....looks like the devil is setting up franchises now.

Blackwater is based here in my state of North Carolina and most people here that I know are painfully uneasy about this fact. I guess for them to be the stormtroopers of future government imposed martial law they will require a base of operations of the west coast as well.

Slowly and quietly move into communities around the edges of the country, that way they have us all geographically surrounded and can launch death and mayhem against the American people from all angles of the continent.

If the people of San Diego are smart they will run these murdering scum out of town on a rail.

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 08:56 PM
link   
reply to post by mythatsabigprobe

The text in the external quote does not match the text in the link you provided.

Here is your external quote from the first page:

AP News
The city responded that the company misled officials about the nature of the center, which includes a multilevel mock ship built out of cargo containers, to avoid triggering a full review by the city planning commission and a possible City Council vote.

It said Blackwater's plan to use the warehouse for "paramilitary training" makes it different from other firing ranges. Sailors would move around the mock ship with firearms instead of remaining stationary, as at an indoor firing range.

Could you provide a link that matches the above text?

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join