It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China Likely To Beat U.S. Back To The Moon: NASA

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 07:03 PM
link   

China Likely To Beat U.S. Back To The Moon: NASA

www.mcclatchydc.com

Chinese astronauts are on schedule to beat the United States back to the moon by two or three years, the head of NASA's lunar exploration program said Wednesday.

``If they keep on the path they're on, they can" land before Americans do, said Rick Gilbreth, NASA's associate administrator for exploration systems.

The goal of NASA's Constellation program is to return astronauts to the moon by 2020, as proposed in President Bush's Vision for Space Exploration. Gilbreth said the Chinese could accomplish that by 2017 or 2018.

The Chinese lead will be even longer if the American schedule slips, as some space experts predict.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 07:03 PM
link   
What a shame. I just wonder, if we spent HALF the resouces and taxpayer dollars on our space program as we did on weaponry and endless wars, if this scenario could be quite a bit different...Instead of exploring space and furthering mankind, we're stuck on our owh rock, bombing it into oblivion.

Maybe it's a good thing we stay here. lol

Beating the U.S. back to the moon would be a feather in a resurgent China's cap with psychological as well as military implications. Last year, China became the first nation in the world to shoot down a space satellite, setting off alarm bells in the Pentagon. Some defense analysts foresee a long-range competition between the U.S. and China for future military control of space.

www.mcclatchydc.com

[edit on 4-6-2008 by DimensionalDetective]

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 07:09 PM
link   
I don't see why it's a shame at all.

No matter who gets back first, humanity as a whole will advance as one. But I agree that if everyone stopped killing each other we could advance at an astronomical rate.

Ah well, good luck to China on their endeavors!

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Does anybody else notice that the source article also says China was the first nation to shoot down a satellite? It was written by an idiot, apparently.

Anyways, consider this bit of information from that article (If it's even true

In addition, NASA's back-to-the-moon program is substantially bolder than China's.

``They're taking an Apollo-like approach,'' Gilbreth said. ``Our program is much more ambitious than Apollo. We're going to put four people on the moon for seven days, eventually for six months. China is looking for a minimum capability. We're looking to put an outpost on the moon.''

Soooo it's really like this: They're going to get somewhere that we've already been before, and they're going to get there just in time to watch us return and actually do something interesting.

Awwww Shoot son, you brought out my macho competitive side! Look what you did!

In all honesty, I hope the Chinese actually are successful, and that the American missions go as planned also. Hopefully our species will one day find another rock to live on while this one crumbles under humanity's dead weight.

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by DimensionalDetective

What a shame. I just wonder, if we spent HALF the resouces and taxpayer dollars on our space program as we did on weaponry and endless wars, if this scenario could be quite a bit different...Instead of exploring space and furthering mankind, we're stuck on our owh rock, bombing it into oblivion.

Beating the U.S. back to the moon would be a feather in a resurgent China's cap with psychological as well as military implications. Last year, China became the first nation in the world to shoot down a space satellite, setting off alarm bells in the Pentagon. Some defense analysts foresee a long-range competition between the U.S. and China for future military control of space.

This part is false. We shot down sats in the 70's.

www.mcclatchydc.com

[edit on 4-6-2008 by DimensionalDetective]

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 08:05 PM
link   
There was a recent post here about how NASA was missing more stuff from Apollo. If they do beat us back, it's becauseof us. We continue to buy Chinese goods, they fund our debt as we spend ourselves as a country into oblivion. If China does make it first, it won't be nearly the benefit to humanity as it would if we do since we share everything and they share almost nothing.

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 08:11 PM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

Good for China. Take the grip of disclosure out of America's hands.

The only shame I see is... they are using our dollars to beat us there. Now ain't that ashamed

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 08:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Zanzibar

I think my "what a shame" comment might have came across the wrong way---I wasn't saying that in terms of China getting to the moon first, but more in regards to the amount of resouces that are being put toward death and destruction, when we could be doing something so much more positive like this instead. I commend ANY society who gets out there and explores our surrounding neighborhood and the cosmos...

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 08:37 PM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

We already beat china to the moon.

I think my "what a shame" comment might have came across the wrong way---I wasn't saying that in terms of China getting to the moon first

[edit on 4-6-2008 by West Coast]

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 08:45 PM
link   
reply to post by mattifikation

Quite true. Additionally, If China were to beat the US to Mars, then perhaps there would be some cause for concern.

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 08:45 PM
link   

You do know that most of the science we got about space travel came from the military, right???

"Bombing it into oblivion". Yeah, the Chinese do no wrong compared to us. I wonder how much of their rocket will be made in their forced labor camps?

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by jerico65

"Bombing it into oblivion". Yeah, the Chinese do no wrong compared to us. I wonder how much of their rocket will be made in their forced labor camps?

Is this a comparison to America bombing Japan?? Don't forget America's facist industrial neo-cons were in bed with Germany from the start, giving political asylum to any mass murderer with a PHD in physics.

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Some defense analysts foresee a long-range competition between the U.S. and China for future military control of space.

so we really will be swearing in chinese in the future... =)

this is not a one liner. well it was. but then i quoted. and then added this line...

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Im still one of those believers we have never been on the moon but anyways if we really were then like someone said above if they beat us to mars then there is a concern. DD totally agree though the almost 1 trillion spent on Iraq could easily of been put on a ship that would get us to the moon and mars and back no probs but we put all this money in the wrong pockets. This earth is going to end that is a guarantee I just hope the we humans can get along long enough to get the hell out of here if that time does come.

new topics

top topics

join