It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chavez spy laws 'creating society of informers'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 06:53 PM
link   

Chavez spy laws 'creating society of informers'

www.abc.net.au

Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez has used his decree powers to introduce a controversial intelligence law.

The former secret police and military intelligence agency have been replaced by new bodies under Mr Chavez's control, prompting condemnation from civil liberties groups.

Under the new law, Venezuelans must cooperate with secret police and intelligence agencies when requested, with refusal resulting in prison terms of up to four years.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
au.news.yahoo.com
www.foxnews.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
McCain: I'd Spy on Americans Secretly, Too

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 06:53 PM
link   
Well well... the more time goes on the more of we see Chavez's true colors. At first I kinda liked and sympathized with him. I then changed my mind but still thought he was more open to foriegn relations than say Ahmenajad. Now I'm starting to think another S. American country has fallen under the spell of yet another madman.

According to the article under the new law...

-Venezuelans must cooperate with Chavez appointed people, with refusal resulting in prison up to four years.

-Security forces can use wiretapping without a court order and judges can be obliged to help intelligence services.

-Officials can withhold evidence in the interest of national security, effectively denying people the right to full defence.

Chavez claims all this is necessary because of US attempts to undermine his power! I think with better leadership we could have a better relationship with Venezuela. Is the US to blame or is Chavez just a hardcore dictator!

www.abc.net.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 07:58 PM
link   
Goebbels used to say that the biggest enemy of the state is truth. Chavez just wants to silence the opposition, that is his only hope. A couple of days ago he went on TV to say that Venezuela is the happiest nation on earth.

I`ve spent a good time discussing with Chavez` supporters at ATS the reality of the "revolution", thanks for the news I hope more people come to understand the kind of monster that he is.

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 08:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Scramjet76

how is this any diffrent then the US?

* people can be tapped
* arressted with no evidence and kept detained for aslong as one pleases.
* get arressted for protesting
* get taazed for protesting
* get tazed for speaking their mind

list goes on.

granted some of those things are also in the UK or labour are trying to do.

so what gives you the moral high ground to critisize chavs and his retarded plan to do the exact thing?

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 09:06 PM
link   
reply to post by bodrul

Hey good question bodrul. There's definitely a fine line when trying to balance issues like individual freedom and national security.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I was under the impression that the US gov't can infringe upon our rights if they go to a judge to explain the circumstances within 72 hours.

But your right things are moving in a scary direction!

so what gives you the moral high ground to critisize chavs

Has nothing to do with morals. I have no issues with Chavez shaking up his government agencies. He has criticized the US time and again... If he wants to be taken seriously he should start by not taking every last right away from his own citizens!

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Another question...

Chavez's reasons for doing this are because he feels threatened by what he feels are attempts on his life by the US, Colombia, and other political opponents. The key is attempts to attack him.

Bush did not authorize such monitoring until after the country was attacked. Here the enemy aims to kill US Citizens and not just Bush and his lackies..

Is this distinction noteworthy?? Does this give US gov't more validity in their actions than Chavez and his administration?

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by bodrul

We haven't not centralised it, thats the difference between us and Chavez. And you and I can refuse to talk to the police and MI5/MI6 if we wanted to.

Under the new law, Venezuelans must cooperate with secret police and intelligence agencies when requested, with refusal resulting in prison terms of up to four years.

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by bodrul

Yet another attempted deflection by this poster who seemsunable to post on any thread without attempting to turn it into yet another anti-U.S. bash.

It is a totally legitimate subject to discuss the political situation in Venezuela on its own, that is without someone trying to imply that it's OK for freedoms to be lost in Venezuela because of something supposedly going on in the U.S. Let me remind all that this poster does not live in the U.S., so is probably not a reliable source of info on the U.S.

Please carry on, as I would like to see what other, more open-minded and knowledgable, people have to say on this subject.

[edit on 6/5/2008 by centurion1211]

top topics

join