It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Forced labor fuels development, U.S. report finds

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Forced labor fuels development, U.S. report finds

www.cnn.com

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Slave labor in developing countries such as Brazil, China and India is fueling part of their huge economic growth, according to a State Department report released Wednesday.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 06:18 PM
link   
What is the difference in 'slave' labor and what we have going on here in the U.S.? Working to pay off debt is going on right here in America so what is the big deal?

In the article it states that they are having to work 'long hours'. How many people do you know that are working unpaid overtime because they are a salary employee? We should clean up our own backyard before prying into others.

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Reminds me of that Motifake poster of the pyramids with the title: Slavery - Gets poo done!

Mod Edit: Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 4/6/2008 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 06:30 PM
link   
I cant seem to identify the comparison.

I would think living on the streets in London or NewYork would be more pleasant than living in some of the more dictatorial and militarized third world countrys.

Most of the people working for low wage and unpaid overtime etc still have a roof over thier head and food to eat and are free of desease and starvation.

Do we realy need much more?

I am not trying to derail just prompt you to elaborate in detail you point.

It is quite obvious that if you force someone to do something it will get done, but the comparison is a little broad.

Kind regards S_G

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 06:38 PM
link   
reply to post by stellawayten

Ok .. ok .. I re-read your thread a few times.. trying to grasp your meaning.

I believe .. and correct me if I am wrong, which I am not.. you meant the following:

Slave labor being used in China, India and Brazil is actually the same thing as American's who have to pay off their credit card debt. OK. And you apparently do not care that the conditions like.. say no clean water, crappy food and a tyrannical government are any different then you ... who is also a slave (right?) because you have to pay off your credit card bills for all the new clothes, toys and food you bought, oh the debt for your new TV I bet is a real killer.. while preaching to the world via high speed internet.

Your right.. poor Americans.. no better then half naked children working and starving to death in China.

Me thinks you need to go see the world.

And stop preaching economics, as you have little to no understanding.

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 07:16 PM
link   
Perhaps I am not an eloquent writer and I do admit that I have a hard time getting my point across.

Let me start by saying that I am in no way refering to myself because I do not have a job and have little to no debt.

I have not traveled the world but I'm pretty sure that China and India have technology and clean water. The point I am trying to make is that working for someone else is a form of slave labor. Slaves work because they feel they have to, correct? And most americans work because they feel they have to.

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 07:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by stellawayten
Slaves work because they feel they have to, correct? And most americans work because they feel they have to.

Most Americans work either to survive or improve their lifestyle. Those who choose not to behave in this responsible fashion are rewarded by using government subsidies that I pay for in the form of taxation.

Your analogy that working for someone else is a form of slave labor -- I can see where you going with that; but unless you elaborate and clarify you are going to get some testy responses.

One could argue that working for someone else is a form of indentured servitude. The simple facts are:

- Not everyone has the aptitude, motivation or discipline to be their own boss
- Barriers to entry prevent lots of would-be entrepeneurs from taking the plunge
- Some have tried it and decided it is more fun to have someone else manage all the problems

Those of us who have tried independent contracting in the IT industry can relate to the third item above. It may not always pay as well; but it sure is nice knowing where your paycheck comes from each week/month.

I do agree with Rockpuck though. Too many Americans debt-finance their lifestyle. Who ultimately pays for their failure to fulfill their obligation -- those of us who responsibly use debt as a short-term financing instrument and not a lifestyle enhancement.

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 07:41 PM
link   
Working conditions and living environment aside, there are some corelations here, imo.

I made a post a while back about America turning into one big Company Town, where the average workng person gets paid not quite enough to ever break even, much less get ahead.

Tennessee Ernie Ford wrote a song about it. Like to hear it, here go.

"Sixteen Tons" by Tennessee Ernie Ford

I load sixteen tons, what do I get?
Another day older and deeper in debt;
St. Peter, don't you call me, 'cause I can't go;
I owe my soul to the Company Store.

Debt slavery, indentured servants, call it what you like. Come on, Jubilee!

top topics

join