It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

McCain Asked About Lack of Congress Members' Families in Iraq-Crowd Cheers

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 06:12 PM
link   

McCain Asked About Lack of Congress Members' Families in Iraq-Crowd Cheers

rawstory.com

"I'm a combat veteran of Vietnam and I have a son who served in the 82nd Airborne in Afghanistan and Iraq," the man said to loud applause, with McCain interjecting to thank his family's service.

After the crowd stopped clapping the man continued, "According to VFW Magazine, less than one percent of the members of Congress have children or grandchildren who have served in Iraq or Afghanistan. I think that's a national disgrace."

"The leadership of this country is asking our sons and daughters to go off and serve, and perhaps die, in a war that their families are opting out of and I think that should be a national scandal," the man added.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 06:12 PM
link   
Indeed, this is one of the big questions that should be asked not only of the POTUS incumbants, but of every member of the house and Senate who keep profiting off the blood of soldiers and endless wars.

How quickly this status quo detachment and greedy bloodlust would end if each of these individuals so thirsty for war had to send one of their offspring into these nightmares...

A 2006 article published in VFW's magazine was entitled "AWOL: Why Less Than 1% of the Population Serves in the Armed Forces" and did not apply that figure to Congressional families.

"If present statistical trends continue, we are fast approaching the day when no one in Congress and no President will have served or have any children serving," the authors of the article did write, however, also adding, "It may be almost a cliché to say, but it seems to us that it is also true to note that if the daughters of, say, President Bush and Bill Clinton had been patrolling the streets of Baghdad with, say, the son of the CEO of the New York Times, they likely would have been provided with German- or South African-made armored cars designed for patrolling insurgent-controlled hostile territory rather than sent out in our woefully underarmored carriers."

rawstory.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 06:30 PM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

I don't know what point you're tying to make:

But the man who asked the question may have slightly misinterpreted his source. A 2006 article published in VFW's magazine was entitled "AWOL: Why Less Than 1% of the Population Serves in the Armed Forces" and did not apply that figure to Congressional families.

Emphasis added.

The article makes no statement about Congressional offspring. For all you know, the figure could be over 50% of Congress have a relative in the military.

The man misinterpreted the article.

new topics

join