It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.
Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.
Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.
(visit the link for the full news article)
The trend is confirmed in London by the number of dogs seized by the Metropolitan Police under the Dangerous Dogs Act. On average, 38 dogs were seized every year between 2003 and 2006, but between May 2006 and April 2007 this figure grew to 173. In the past year to the end of April, it leapt to 480, of which 80 per cent were pitbull-type breeds.
Dog fighting was banned in Britain in 1835, but it has returned intermittently.
In 1917 a Pit Bull by the name of Sgt. Stubby became a war hero for saving several soldiers lives and even capturing a German Spy while in the trenches of France with the 26th Yankee Division.
Later the Pit Bull was used to signify sturdiness, dependability, and loyalty by such organizations as RCA, Buster Brown shoes, and even the loveable Pete of the Little Rascals.
In fact the first dog to travel across America in a car was a Pit Bull ( Bud ) and did so with the first persons ( Horatio Jackson and his assistant and "bicycle" mechanic Sewall Crocker ) to cross America in a car ( A Winton named the Vermont). Horatio later donated Bud's goggles to the Smithsonian Institute in Washington D.C. During the trip Bud would assist in watching for large bumps in the road and often received as much if not more attention by the press than did Jackson. After the trip was completed Bud bravely guarded the Jackson home until his death of old age.
The Pitt Bull arrived in America in 1870's, as all-around farm dogs and frontier guardians. They excelled in their service to mankind on the frontier and soon earned a reputation as one of the finest dogs a man could own. To increase the dog's usefulness in relation to his new frontier lifestyle, breeders of the Bull and Terrier began to selectively breed for a larger dog. The Bull and Terrier dog became adept at just about anything he was tasked with to include: herding, livestock protection, vermin removal, weight pulling, watchdog, and family companion. In all, things were good for this breed as it was loved and respected as a true family companion and faultless dog. Eventually, these dogs began to assume other names such as Pit Dog, the Pit Bull Terrier, the American Bull Terrier, and even the Yankee Terrier.
They make loving pets for children and seniors, and everyone in between. The are indeed one of the most versatile breeds on the planet. Much of this is owed to the activities it once performed. The harshness and physical demands of the activities molded a strong, healthy, stable animal, one anyone should be proud to own.
The 10 reasons you can't trust those vicious Pitbulls
10. They will steal your spot on the couch while you are up getting a soda.
9. They will take the treat you give them and bury in the back yard like a
paranoid crack head hiding their stash.
8. They will jump on your bed with muddy feet. Making you do laundry...again
7. They will lick visitors with an uncontrolled passion only they understand.
6. They will cause children to smile.
5. They will make you feel horrible for not walking them by looking at you with
deep sad eyes.
4. They will look at you like you committed a crime against them if you don't let them lick your ice cream bowl.
3. They will cause wide spread happiness in large group settings.
2. They will crack you up by shaking their butts so hard you think they are going to snap in half.
And the number one reason why you can't trust vicious Pit Bulls...
1. They will steal your heart like a thief in the night, showing you complete and pure love that only a Pit Bull can show