It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tainted cheese fuels TB rise in California

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Tainted cheese fuels TB rise in California

www.msnbc.msn.com

A rare form of tuberculosis caused by illegal, unpasteurized dairy products, including the popular queso fresco cheese, is rising among Hispanic immigrants in Southern California and raising fears about a resurgence of a strain all but eradicated in the U.S.
Cases of the Mycobacterium bovis strain of TB have increased in San Diego county, particularly among children who drink or eat dairy foods made from the milk of infected cattle, a study in the journal Emerging Infectious Diseases shows.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Owch... I wonder if this will just fade from the limelight, like every other food scare does...

www.msnbc.msn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 06:12 PM
link   
yikes. that just made my stomach turn, i love street vendor mexican food. i just had tacos last night. is nothing sacred these days?

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 06:20 PM
link   
This one won't fade from the spotlight because it's illegaly imported unpasturized cheese that is the culprit. This is precisely the reason pregnant women are given instructions not to eat such products. In addition to rarities like this TB situation, the cheeses also frequently are responsible for listeria outbreaks and salmonela infections. The fact that we've eradicated the germ in the US is actually working against us here because it means our bodies aren't prepared to fight off the bug like our healthy ancestors who actually came into contact with such germs more regularly were.

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Have you read about the tainted tomatoes? It seems really fishy to me that so many food products are 'tainted'. I will keep my eyes open.

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 06:26 PM
link   
reply to post by burdman30ott6

You are probably right about us not having any immunity at ALL to things that probably used to be common, and still are elsewhere...

to be honest, I am guessing this works very well in favour of big Pharma

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 06:36 PM
link   
illegal immigrant cheese will get a break just like the illegal immigrant people do . pretty soon we will be forced to live with it too .

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 08:04 PM
link   
This is scary stuff! No more street food or fresh tomatoes for me.
Oh well, I planted some this year so if the weather permits I may be able to eat tomatoes again in several months.

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 08:35 PM
link   
reply to post by stellawayten

I have not read about a recent tomato scare, thank you for mentioning it... Yowch..

The other poster, about illegal's tainted foods getting away with it, like the illegals... That is scary. I cannot believe they are SO determined to keep the borders open so we can keep importing disease.

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 09:33 PM
link   
Tainted Tomatoes Source

There you go. Now you can read about it. I also think there is a ATS thread somewhere about it.

top topics

join