It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

South Dakota Voters Approve What Could Be First New U.S. Oil Refinery in Decades

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 01:55 PM
link   

South Dakota Voters Approve What Could Be First New U.S. Oil Refinery in Decades

www.foxnews.com

ELK POINT, S.D. — Voters in Union County on Tuesday approved rezoning for what would be the first new U.S. oil refinery in more than 30 years.

With all 13 precincts reporting, 3,932 voters, or 58 percent, endorsed their county commission's rezoning of almost 3,300 acres north of Elk Point for the $10 billion refinery while 2,855, or 42 percent, opposed it.

The ballot measure garnered solid support in the southern part of the county, with the Dakota Dunes precinct voting in favor 1,017-237 and the one containing North Sioux City approving the ordinance 492-184.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 01:55 PM
link   
With refineries running at nearly full capacity, and the current price of gas....all I can say is: ITS ABOUT TIME!

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Unfortunately, the 'time' is not here yet. This vote only made changes to zoning which would allow a refinery at this location. Hyperion has not even yet decided which of the several locations it's currently looking at it will be chosen.

Construction would not begin until 2010 and not completed until 2014. While this is indeed good news, it is not going to do anything to minimize the current crisis.

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by bismarcksea

Its about time, alright, but you may as well forget it. It won't be long before some group of morons from a state 2,000 miles away will come rushing in to file lawsuit after lawsuit to stop it from happening, regardless of what the people of South Dakota actually want.

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by vor78
reply to post by bismarcksea

Its about time, alright, but you may as well forget it. It won't be long before some group of morons from a state 2,000 miles away will come rushing in to file lawsuit after lawsuit to stop it from happening, regardless of what the people of South Dakota actually want.

That is what I was gonna say . . .

Is there any endangered species in that part of SD? Perhaps a rare horsefly or something?

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Sounds like good news to me but this doesnt fix the gas situation. We need to fix the dollar for that to happen and our government looooovvvveeesss to spend money we dont have so looks like we have a long time before we see gas come down.

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by mybigunit
Sounds like good news to me but this doesnt fix the gas situation. We need to fix the dollar for that to happen and our government looooovvvveeesss to spend money we dont have so looks like we have a long time before we see gas come down.

Off topic, I know...but you don't follow current gas prices do you?? They're dropping like a ROCK. The gas price is down 17 cents today alone and almost 30 cents in the last week. Hopefully this will be reflected at the pumps within the next few days.

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by BlueTriangle

What 'gas prices' are you talking about? It's gone up almost 3 cents a gallon this week in my area.. 30 cents..?

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Ok... this always makes me laugh when americans find a sniff of oil on their land.. everyone thinks it will solve all of americas problems and you will have cheap oil... LMAO!!

now THAT is funny... IF there is any oil worth while, it won't last long... if you guys can actually get at it anyways.

oil is old news..

find new alternatives... please.

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 11:17 PM
link   
I found it interesting to read all your comments about the proposed refinery in South Dakota. What you don't know is that Hyperion the company proposing to do so is an unknown company that is not recognized in the oil industry.

The CFO and VP of Hyperion Resources has a major lawsuit against the CEO Albert Huddleston. Miro Vranac is suing Albert and Mary Huddleston for "misusing money" from Mary's trust fund and has referred to the project in SD as "misguided" and a "dumb idea." Albert Huddleston has never had a successful business venture and inherited his fortune through his wife's trust fund. Her great grandfather was H.L. Hunt.

This company will never get the financing to pull off this project. It has been very shoddily put together and is a big joke in the oil industry. There is enough friction within the Hunt/Hill/Huddleston family to keep this from getting anywhere. You may find it interesting to read about the Hunt/Hill family....
www.dmagazine.com... B39A5D65AB45DFAFCEE07FCE84C202&AudId=29CB3DCAC7E94A08B642EC371FE6E70B

For more information check out:
www.elkpointgorilla.com

posted on Jul, 1 2008 @ 11:23 PM
link   
reply to post by pynner

Given that there's anywhere from 150 - 300 billion barrels of oil underneath our feet, it's kind of a big deal. And you're calling for "alternatives," but how far off iis any plausible "alternative." Gasoline/electric hybrids are the most likely candidate to ween ourselves off our fossil fuel habit. Progress is a slow process.

top topics

join