It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My dream house.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 01:49 PM
link   
House is a Monolithic Dome (these can survive hurricanes)
Has a huge 2nd basement that is a reinforced concrete room with mattresses, stored food, stored Potassium Iodide (KI), its own water source, a bathroom, its own backup generator, a faraday cage with various electronics, and some things like books, cards etc.

Power source
Batteries are used to power the house (each one independent and can work without each other and if all fail, power can still be transferred directly from the source)

1.Solar panel roofing - Charges up the batteries. Once the batteries are charged up, excess power is used to turn water into hydrogen (electrolyzer). This is stored.
2.Water turbine (if near a running creek) - Charges up the batteries
3.air turbine - Charges up the batteries
4.Hydrogen from fuel cell
5.Conventional grid - just in case everything else fails / sell power back

Water source (can switch between them)
1.Under ground well 1 (ground water) - directly connects (no tank)
2.Under ground well 2 (ground water) -connected only to reinforced room
3.Gutters (rain water) - cleaned by Distillation or reverse osmosis automatically and then stored in storage tank (tank 1)
pond/lake/creek/ or what ever (land water) - cleaned by Distillation or reverse osmosis automatically and the stored in storage tank (tank 2)
Tap water - cleaned by Distillation or reverse osmosis. just in case everything else fails. Stored in a tank (tank 3) (only when turned on)

Once water leaves source it then runs though another filter before it is used.

This is my dream house. What do you think? Got any other ideas? My goal is to be totally self sufficient.
The only problem I can think of is the solar panels might have to be on the ground because the house is curved and has no real roof.

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Nice. My dream house is a nice and pretty and cozy... short bus.

I'm serious!

Half home half off road comm.center! Steel reinforced siding and flood lights with some 30 inch rubber tires!

I would have the back be the barracks with bunk beds and a small kitchen with the world largest supply of Hot Pockets!

Then the front I would have equipment racks filled with radio frequency scanners, scopes of every kind, Satellite Decoders, DAT Recorders and a smokin Multi wave radio system! All powered via solar cells!

I would drive around to every D.U.M.B and military base and scan for stuff!
With my electric motor of course!

hehe I'll be the Art Bell of the paranoid short bus people!

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 02:15 PM
link   
My dream house is nothing like that. That sounds like a prison to me.

I would have a nice detached or semi in the country side. Nice and simple.

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 02:21 PM
link   
[edit on 4-6-2008 by n0b0DY]

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Damien_uk

Until the fallout hits...

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Here is the ULTIMATE survivor home! Its pretty cheap, too...considering. This has been on the market for at least 5 years. If I ever win the lottery, i'm snatching this one up.

www.silohome.com...

Better pictures
www.silohome.com...

ATLAS-F MISSILE SILO HOME

Private airport mountain getaway in Adirondack State Park.
Original Gov't cost for complex in 1958 $18 Million (Present value is near $100 Million)

2000 sf home with open floor plan, large garage, kitchen, open pit fireplace and wrap around covered porch. Surface home acting as entrance to 20,000 plus sf secure underground facility.

Beat that!

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 08:20 PM
link   
wow, sorry

[edit on 4-6-2008 by METACOMET]

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Double post

[edit on 4-6-2008 by METACOMET]

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Hey firesoul thats very smiliar to my ideal house

One thing I would want to add given the chance is a library with all kinds of books ranging from the history of different civilisations to sci-fi.

Gotta have something to read for when the fallout hits!

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 08:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by n0b0DY
Nice. My dream house is a nice and pretty and cozy... short bus.

I'm serious!

Half home half off road comm.center! Steel reinforced siding and flood lights with some 30 inch rubber tires!

I would have the back be the barracks with bunk beds and a small kitchen with the world largest supply of Hot Pockets!

Then the front I would have equipment racks filled with radio frequency scanners, scopes of every kind, Satellite Decoders, DAT Recorders and a smokin Multi wave radio system! All powered via solar cells!

I would drive around to every D.U.M.B and military base and scan for stuff!
With my electric motor of course!

hehe I'll be the Art Bell of the paranoid short bus people!

Lol interesting idea. I guess you wouldn't have to leave your stuff behind.

Originally posted by Damien_uk

You can get them designed to look pretty much like a normal house. Also cost less to heat and cool. Not really that much more expensive.

Also even though your house sounds nice, it probably would not be that strong. These can survive Tornadoes, Hurricanes, fires, bugs, and they dont rot at all.

Originally posted by METACOMET
Here is the ULTIMATE survivor home! Its pretty cheap, too...considering. This has been on the market for at least 5 years. If I ever win the lottery, i'm snatching this one up.

www.silohome.com...

Better pictures
www.silohome.com...

ATLAS-F MISSILE SILO HOME

Private airport mountain getaway in Adirondack State Park.
Original Gov't cost for complex in 1958 $18 Million (Present value is near $100 Million)

2000 sf home with open floor plan, large garage, kitchen, open pit fireplace and wrap around covered porch. Surface home acting as entrance to 20,000 plus sf secure underground facility.

Beat that!

Thats awesome! Never thought you could buy one. But I guess you can buy anything in America. Will they build one or are you buying pre-made ones?
Maybe get a Dome and put a silo under it.

Originally posted by fred3110
Hey firesoul thats very smiliar to my ideal house

One thing I would want to add given the chance is a library with all kinds of books ranging from the history of different civilisations to sci-fi.

Gotta have something to read for when the fallout hits!

Your right. I did mention some books, but just a few could get boring. Probably better to bring all different kinds.

[edit on 4-6-2008 by firesoul]

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Yeah the asking price is under 2 million.

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 10:58 AM
link   
I found the perfect Fallout shelter yesterday! It's built into a hillside using what I believe to be an 8' drainage tile, with a solid steel hatchway, two 3,000 gallon cisterns, and is set setup for electricity water, and propane use. I believe there's a generator hookup as well.

The lessor died about a year ago, and the property has been vacant ever since. Don't worry, I had permission to look around. The guy was somewhat of a recluse, and everyone thought he was a little off in the head or getting senile (79).

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Senile or not his heart was in the right place.

Those silos are groovin!

They are expensive but maybe you can get a discount if you totally down budget on the surface level section.

Get a few of you down there, fully supplied and protected, bring along some women and you've got one cosy place to chill while all hell breaks loose above ground!

We survivalists in our chilly bridges and shelters can but dream...

But the battle bus sounds interesting as well.
Another concept on that approach would be a fire engine, sure it might only fire water but a water cannon is an excellent system for crowd control, especially in the uk

[edit on 5-6-2008 by WatchRider]

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 05:30 PM
link   
reply to post by WatchRider

WR,

I'm going to try and get a few pictures of the place if I can to post. It definitely gave me a few ideas about what can be done with a little hard work and determination.

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 05:35 PM
link   
Just look on former deactivated missile sites that were added to the base closure list.

Missile Bunker Listed on eBay, Again

An abandoned missile base in Washington State is back in the news. The former Titan missile silo at Larsen Air Force base in central Washington, which for many years was marketed as a potential "data bunker," has been featured this week on Boing Boing and the BBC. The news: the 57-acre site is for sale, and is actually listed on eBay for $1.5 million.

this site is one of them

missilebases.com...

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Cool man, look forward to hearing it.

For me the perfect, dream house would be a tower castle with a moat surrounding it for good measure and a nuclear bunker underneath.

These were all the rage back in the day when maurading Scots and English would fight border raids. The Reivers used to excel at fortifying them and defending them.

To this day there are many examples still up in North England and Scottish Borders.

Typically you'd have to enter via a ladder (which is then pulled up at night or when danger is about/SitX).
On the ground floor you could have a reinforced steel door for ease of supplies from an outside source. This is accesseable from the 2nd Floor also but via a pulley/lift for hauling supplies up and down for extra storage.
A concrete shaft which a spiral staircase descends down to the bunker completes the base/home.

One of these, with all mod cons, renewable energy, cameras would be the ultimate Englishmans modern-day castle

EDIT: Almost forgot... Star Childs entire arsenal of weapons plus a few english longbows and arrows for good measure

[edit on 5-6-2008 by WatchRider]

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 05:53 PM
link   
Are you from that area?I always wondered since england etc has nukes if they are in silos etc or just stockpiled someplace in a bunker.

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 05:55 PM
link   
one back out nowwhere in the woods two stories above ground stone walls, cinder block. solar pannels on roof. basement 1 library emergency living quarters. baseement 2 encased in water to block radiation (thats a lot of water) lights for growing plants, food storage, backup generater, batteries, Water tanks gutters under plants leedind to a still and send the water back to the tank.

new topics

top topics

join