It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unusual beams of light during storm

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Last night we had a heat lightning storm, and regular lightning too, as a matter of fact lightning hit a fuel tank by a GM plant that had over a million gallons of gas and it was burning all night, may still be somewhat, but anyway........I was sitting outside smoking and I kept watching these "beams" or "orbs" or whatever it was going in a big circle. One main one and occasionally a second one would be in a smaller trajectory path. Sometimes a third one would come and seem to "chase" the main one. It was like those spotlight search light things, or you know how advertisers will beam light from the ground, only they weren't from the ground they were horizontal and the path wasn't fixed, it was somewhat random and changed, It went on for more than an hour. Any ideas? Also the light beams were there the night before in a bit farther of a place in the sky, I blew it off thinking it must be some kind of business doing it, but last night it was right over . and I watched them for quite a while, then this morning it stormed like crazy. Oh and the thunder I have been hearing is like a plane going by, it rumbles like that and usually doesn't peak in a break like thunder, it seemed like aircraft was causing the thunder sound. It caused me to wonder if the cloud cover was somehow blanketing some kind of experimental plane flying over., or even movement of airplanes that weren't to be seen.

I know that is just my own idea of the sounds that I heard that were thunderlike. It seems so often these days that storms just aren't what they used to be.

As a matter of fact the storms we had the day before were producing some really odd hail, actually it is stretching to call it hail, even the news reporters were on the scene showing pics and saying how it was as if sheets of ice were falling and breaking up rather than the usual hail. The entire ground was blanketed as if there had been a snowfall and it was chunks of ice, not circular hail.

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 12:46 PM
link   
This is the only link I could find that recognized lazer beams and storms.

partners.nytimes.com...

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 04:10 PM
link   
So has anyone else ever seen such a thing?

I don't expect a conversation about the thunder and my guesses as to why it was so strange, but I would expect that someone may have seen the beam type of lights before!

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Okay, I have a working digital camera and I learned from my mother how to use it, so if I ever see something like that again I will provide pics so maybe I can share better what I am trying to explain!

Edit to add:

Thanks to the 177 of you that at least read my thread!

[edit on 4-6-2008 by interestedalways]

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 06:47 PM
link   
reply to post by interestedalways

Hi Interestedalways!

Definitely keep a camera close. There have been many weather anomalies here in Austin lately but not up to your level of anomalies. I've watched the storms racing across your city for the last few weeks and I am amazed. It's not the normal pattern I'm seeing and I've been a weather chaser for many years. If I were you I would check around for storm cellar shelters that you would have access to. Better safe.....

STM

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 06:59 PM
link   
What a pleasure, Seentoomuch!

I also love to watch the storms. Not usually expecting anything unusual, just to be outside and smell the rain and feel the extra electricity in the air.

I think that is a good idea to check for a safe place, actually I think there may be a crawl space under this house, but it would be pretty creepy.

Storms just aren't what they used to be, are they???

Take care and thanks for stopping by the thread!

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 07:08 PM
link   
Hi interested.

I have seen those bars of light in the sky in the sky over scotland last year.

Like search lights / car . lights but very powerful, and they just rolled across the sky from nowhere till they faded over out of sight.

About half an hour later we saw a helicopter with one of those hanging video pods taking pics of another set in the sky.

To this day i still have no idea what it was at all. Thanks for posting as now me and my wife know we are not mad or seeing things !

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 07:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Dan Tanna

That is so awesome that you posted what you saw! It is different from anything I have ever seen and the path of them was irratic enough that it wouldn't have been something stable following a predetermined course.

Validation is a wonderful thing, thank you!

Interesting that you got to see the helicoptor taking pics of them. Others were interested as well!

Edit to clarify, you did say the helicoptor was taking pics of another part of the sky, not the lights. I just caught my error~

[edit on 4-6-2008 by interestedalways]

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 09:37 PM
link   
Here comes a stoopid question:

If it is nighttime and the sky is cloudy, no stars or moon visible, but you are seeing light, as in what I described above would you use the flash, or would that cause a distortion on the picture?

If I don't use it then it will be too dark, if I do use it a reflection.

Hmmmm?

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by interestedalways
Thanks to the 177 of you that at least read my thread!

Wowsers 177? and you just posted it today?

Okay maybe what you need is a little pizzazz to wake em up...

What you are describing sounds like Sprites, Elves and Gnomes...

Now before you think I have slipped back into my Faerie Kingdom..(I never left
)

This is the official term for them...

Sometime I just have to love NASA... they come up with some really wild names for things like the "Blueberries" on Mars to explain round blue iron balls... "Moon Storms" and "Moon Fountains" to explain dust clouds on the moon (they say electrostatic levitating dust
)

Seems NASA is finally coming around to accept the "Electric Universe" concept

Now its Sprites, Elves and Gnomes...

Lets start with exhibit #1

Giant red blobs, picket fences, upward branching carrots, and tentacled octopi - these are just a few of the phrases used to describe sprites - spectacular, eerie flashes of colored light high above the tops of powerful thunderstorms that can travel up to 50 miles high in the atmosphere.

Caption: This dramatic, garishly colored image was captured with a low-light level camera on June 7, 2001. It shows what appears to be a "burning tree", or red sprite, above the National Cheng Kung University campus in Tainan City, Taiwan. - NASA Source

Okay so this one is a little extreme
and they call them Octopi???

Lets start at the beginning

In the image below you will see the various anomalies and their names... and this one shows the white orbs as well.

Here is another one showing the tendrils..

One more Big Red Sprite...

So now here comes the part that gets me...

The round 'halo' like things they call "ELVES"

Elves are rapidly expanding disk-shaped regions of glowing that can be up to 300 miles across. They last less than a thousandth of a second, and occur above areas of active cloud to ground lightning. Scientists believe elves result when an energetic electromagnetic pulse extends up into the ionosphere. Elves were discovered in 1992 by a low-light video camera on the Space Shuttle.

So NASA discovered them from the Shuttle...

Now you find me an article that states NASA was firing lasers into thunderstorms from the Shuttle... something I need to verify as it NEVER turned up in any other reports I saw

And then we have THIS ... also taken by NASA from the Shuttle in infrared..

I recommend you save this version It seems to get removed a lot and by luck I found it today... Most times the STS 80 infrared footage is just clipped..One of my biggest beefs with youtubers is that they take a great video and chop it us, add obnoxious music and totally destroy any use it might have...

This one shows that NASA KNOWS these 'orbs' or discs come to thunderstorms and I am sure these are what is observed as 'elves'

I am willing to bet that 'sprites' and the little 'orbs' seen around storms may be related..

I believe what we are seeing is 'critters' being born... These were first named in 1954 Trevor James Constable and William Reich (mentioned in the clip) also believed them to be plasma based life forms

NASA also recorded them during the tether incident.. where again the camera man zooms out to follow one that arcs in from the left and changes direction... even while the astronaut is say 'dust and debris'

Trevor James Constable's 1957 Amoeboid Bioform 'Critter'
educate-yourself.org...

Even Star Trek the old series did a giant space amoeba that feeds om Plasma energy

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 02:20 PM
link   
I LOVE threads like this... they always make me research old topics and you find so much new material..

The Mystery of the Space Jellyfish - Identification of the mystery object is proving taxing for NASA.

nexus404.com...

Maybe it got away from THIS experiment

June 5, 1991 STS-40
Why Send Jellyfish into Space?

Why Send Jellyfish into Space? Very few studies have been made of developing organisms in space. Jellyfish complete their development at a warm temperature in six days. Many of the developing structures of jellyfish resemble structures of humans, although they are less complicated. Therefore, jellyfish may be used to predict events which may occur in embryos of more complex life forms during spaceflight.

quest.nasa.gov...

SPACE WORMS

Space worms land in B.C., after hopping shuttle
Last Updated: Monday, June 25, 2007

Thousands of worms that hitched a ride to Earth on the shuttle Atlantis have arrived safely at a B.C. university, where they could shed light on how space radiation affects humans.

The worms landed with the shuttle Friday afternoon at Edwards Air Force Base in California, six months after their ancestors — now long dead — were sent to the International Space Station.

"The worms are at the lab and appear to be fine," molecular biologist Bob Johnsen told CBC News on Monday.

The worms were sent to the space station to multiply rapidly, a special skill of the C. elegans worm, so Johnsen and his research team at Simon Fraser University in Burnaby could examine their descendants' genes for mutations.

"We are looking for damage to DNA caused by space radiation," Johnsen told CBC News.

Okay so NASA is bring home MUTATED space worms and jellyfish now???

Is anyone else concerned here? Imagine these getting loose into our eco system

Maybe it was a 'critter' that sent the plasma bolt that took out Columbia
This is the only pic of five left NASA does not want you to see these...

And now... just a little Pegasus Tabloid Special Feature

These prove you should ALWAYS have a camera ready... The first one was taken by the US Army Corps of Engineers

GIANT SPACE CREATURE EATS THE MOON

GIANT GREEN SPACE DRAGON DESCENDS ON TOWN

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 02:28 PM
link   
OMEN OF THINGS TO COME?

Powerful Electrical Storm
Hours before Launch of STS 8

MEANWHILE IN THE BERMUDA TRIANGLE....

SOMEWHERE OVER THE GRAND CANYON

PEGASUS is collecting any unusual lightning or electrical discharge images. If you have any to share or find some on the web please send them to me either in this thread to share with all, or U2U me or send via email standauffish@earthlink.net

but please include any links to source for credit (if they are public domain just a link will do)

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Hi interestedalways

It's possible that what you saw was frequent cloud to cloud lightning which usually manifests itself as bright sheets of light in the sky. But without seeing a video of it it's obviously impossible to know. It can look like big 'searchlights' sweeping across the sky.

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 02:38 PM
link   
ZORGON

Your the MAN!

Thanks for breathing some life into my thread. The visual aspect is so very important and I am a complete idiot when it comes to operating anything electronic, but this will be overcome!

Elves, Sprites, and Gnomes! Hilarious!!!

Actually I made this thread on the 4th, it has just pretty much sat here because it is one of those things that mean nothing unless you already have an interest in such things or if you observed it for yourself. My experience seems to move none other than myself and a few others who can take me seriously!

In the first video you provided, (and I did save it) was very telling, the part that really "spoke" to me is that where it was said "Harvesting the electromagnetic energy in the atmosphere" "sucking energy"

Now that really changes things, doesn't it? It changes the way we understand our reality at it's very core.

We had three days of intense storms here and the heat lightning was very close to where I observed the "elves" as well as bolts of lightning that traveled horizontally instead of vertically.

I have lost my train of thought as I am experiencing some computer "issues" at this time.

I have another link about the shuttle shooting lazers into the storms if you need it. Thank you for taking the time to prepare a great reply for my thread!

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Essan

Hi, Essan

Not a chance! I say this because of the trajectory pattern of the "beams" there was a main one that kept going in a big circle while two other ones were more random and even "shot" towards the main one, twice the second one which had a smaller circular pattern actually appeared to crash into the main one and "bounce" off of the main and disappear.

The main circular pattern was not precise, either it would go farther to the right sometimes and come in closer at times. It was a clockwise movement. The second one, although circular at times was more unpredictable. I watched this for well over an hour.

I agree that the key is video, unfortunately it was me who saw it and not a person prepared with the equipment or knowledge to film at night. I went out with my digital the following evening to practice in case I ever got another chance to catch something and all I got was a dark pic.

Thanks for posting.

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 02:57 PM
link   
You really should ensure you always have an (amateur) meteorologist by your side
Sorry, can't really offer any more advice on what you saw but it does sound intriguing

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by interestedalways My experience seems to move none other than myself and a few others who can take me seriously!

Well no one was interested because;
A) Your not a celebrity who saw strange lightning in a hotel room

B) You didn't mention the UFO that was in your 'sighting'
C) They are to busy in chat rooms. youtube and plugged into ipods

So the only ones interested are those seeking to discover the truth of the phenomenal universe..

or Ex Government Disinfo Agents turned weatherman

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 06:04 PM
link   
I love when Zorgon posts.

We should question everything and look for the facts and data.. as incredulous as it sounds, trust not what you see, but what has been proven.

There's another thread on this site that's pretty hot now (and I was reading it before it was closed, IP addresses were given out and bannings occured) that has absolutely no proof what so ever .. yet the lemmings fall over themselves to get to the edge of the fictional cliff to see when the earth will die!

I kept koping Zorgon would have posted there .. I wanted to see his take ..

P.S. Is a diet SPRITE at 10,000 volts?

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by ArcAngelyet the lemmings fall over themselves to get to the edge of the fictional cliff to see when the earth will die!

Don't knock Lemmings the Earth is overpopulated we NEED lemmings

Yup that's just a little 'pop'

The static charge you get from a carpet is anywhere from 7 to 12 thousand volts... Best estimate I found is 20,000 volts to jump 1/4 inch at standard temp and pressure.

The secret is in the amperage.. carpet static carries around 5 milli amps (5/1000 of one amp)

And its amperage that packs the punch

Disclaimer... if your a Lemming and attempt any of the items below we take no responsibility for your actions

Here is 10,000 volts at 250VA... Oil Burner igniter don't try this at home
It can kill you

30,000 Volts 1000VA Two TV flybacks in series (This is why a TV set can kill you
)

500,000 volts ??? amps in the Nevada Desert

Lighting is basically static electricity only a little bit ummm bigger?

Did I say a little?

Lightning is 50,000° F - three times as hot as the Sun.
Lightning is only 1 inch in diameter.
Lightning voltage can be up to 300 million volts.
Lightning current averages 30,000 amps, but ranges from 10,000 to 200,000 amps - 100 To 1,000 times as strong as a steel welder.

My home town
Lightning Strikes Toronto CN Tower Multiple Times

The little snap or pop you here when you touch metal with the carpet spark is thunder... the long rolling sound is simply muted by distance

On Jupiter, Jovian lightning bolts have about ten times more energy than lightning bolts on Earth.

Sorry no video on that one yet

And now NASA is saying the 'levitating moon dust storms' may indicate very high voltages up there following the terminator around... high enough to threaten colonists

Or maybe it will be the new excuse for canceling

[edit on 6-6-2008 by zorgon]

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by ArcAngel

I kept koping Zorgon would have posted there .. I wanted to see his take ..

How funny! A diet sprite! Yes, the gnomes love it! Just ask terrance mckenna, he knows the gnomes by name!

I must admit I asked Zorgon to take a look at my "lame" post and he really amazed me by generously sharing his knowledge!

Thanks for chiming in and adding some kudos and humor!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join