It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. probing Salmonella outbreak in 9 states

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 10:20 AM
link   

U.S. probing Salmonella outbreak in 9 states

www.reuters.com

CHICAGO, June 3 (Reuters) - Health authorities are looking into an outbreak of Salmonella food poisoning in U.S. nine states, with illnesses blamed in two of the states, Texas and New Mexico, on eating raw tomatoes, officials said on Tuesday.

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration said in those two states there have been 57 reported cases of illness caused by an uncommon type of Salmonella bacteria called SaintPaul since late April.

About 30 more people have been sickened in Arizona, Colorado, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas and Utah, and authorities said they are investigating to see if the outbreaks are linked.

At least 17 people have been hospitalized, and no deaths have been reported, U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention epidemiologist Casey Barton Behravesh said in a telephone interview. The ages of those sickened ranges from 3 to 82 years, she said.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 10:20 AM
link   
Oh God here we go again.

Its almost enough to make one swear off food and live off the accumulated fat... something I know I could do for some time.

www.reuters.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 11:04 AM
link   
I read about this yesterday on CNN. It made me hungry for tomatoes so I went to the grocery store and bought them. They were on sale. So, I suggest people needing tomatoes go buy them. They should be really cheap now.

I just sick of having to avoid certain food because it is suppose to be poisoned. I have thrown away so many cans of this and that because the talking heads on tv told me they may be tainted. I think we need to look beneath the surface and see if there is some other reason that the media is reporting this.

[The following is an example of what I'm talking about. I know this isn't the case.]

For example, what if the gov't told the tomato sellers that if they didn't do X or vote for Y then they would ruin them. Then to just give them a taste of how they could ruin them they spread thru the media that tomatoes will make you sick. KWIM?

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 09:30 AM
link   
In an update to this story:

www.efluxmedia.com...

The number of people infected with salmonella in Texas has risen to 35 from 21 since Tuesday, the first time when the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention warned that tomatoes might be the source of a salmonella outbreak in nine US states.

The states affected the most were Texas and New Mexico, followed by Arizona, Colorado, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas and Utah. The good news is that no death has been reported so far. Of course there is also a bad news, as the CDC officials have not identified the exact source, farm or grocery store of the outbreak. Therefore, “the specific type source of tomatoes is under investigation,” CDC’s epidemiologist Casey Barton Behravesh said.

However, early information showed that raw red plum, red Roma, or round red tomatoes might be the source of the bacteria that can cause infection.

The confirmed cases of salmonellsosis in Texas were found in Bell, Cameron, Dallas, Fort Bend, Harris, Hays, Jim Wells, Nueces, San Patricio, Tarrant and Travis counties.

SO... can anyone give me one good reason why our food is becoming unsafe with such disturbing frequency?

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by grover
SO... can anyone give me one good reason why our food is becoming unsafe with such disturbing frequency?

What I would like to know is why this is big news. There are over 300 million people in the US, 35 got salmonella. I am sure that more than that get food poisoning at McDonald's or KFC everyday. I want to know what the angle is. Why is this a huge health concern. Sure getting salmonella sucks, but you can catch it really easily in your home from bad chicken, so why this new fearmongering tactic with food? I noticed it last year or the year before with spinach.

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 09:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Rook1545

The same could be said of any case of food born poisonings... the issue is the increasing frequency of such events and what it says about how our food is handled.

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 09:39 AM
link   

My hypothesis is that it's nothing more than fear mongering. First, make us afraid that we're going to run out of food. Then make us afraid to eat the food we have left. Then, dash in and save the day with bio-engineered "super" food.

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 09:43 AM
link   
What it is, is a result of factory farming... the larger the farm the harder it becomes to control all the issues related to it.

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by stellawayten
For example, what if the gov't told the tomato sellers that if they didn't do X or vote for Y then they would ruin them. Then to just give them a taste of how they could ruin them they spread thru the media that tomatoes will make you sick. KWIM?

Not out of the realm of possibility. What is a tomato seller going to say on the news that would work in a defense, "this is all untrue, there are no problems with our product?" They would be out of business by the end of the week, being viewed as bad boy in the market. If they say "we are distressed at this unfortunate news and are doing every test available to make sure this doesn't happen again" they are safe. We would never know the truth, unless we're that tomato seller.

Originally posted by Unit541: My hypothesis is that it's nothing more than fear mongering. First, make us afraid that we're going to run out of food. Then make us afraid to eat the food we have left. Then, dash in and save the day with bio-engineered "super" food.

Makes me happy I broke down and planted some of my own this year.

----

Even though I am not in one of those states, I will be interested today to see how reaction will be at work with salads. I have a feeling I may be getting some requests for "no tomato" during the next week. :shk:

[edit on 6/6/08 by niteboy82]

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 09:54 AM
link   

The same could be said of any case of food born poisonings... the issue is the increasing frequency of such events and what it says about how our food is handled.

True. I guess I was not really arguing with you so much as asking, (since this a CT site and all) is it that the food is becoming more contaminated, or are we just hearing more about it. Is this another form of fearmongering, or a legitimate concern? I am not sure which way to go on this, 35 is a really small number compared to population, but on the other hand we are hearing about this with more frequency.

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 10:08 AM
link   
Not too far back, field workers in California didn't have bathroom facilities of any kind.

Using the fields they worked in to relieve themselves was eventually deemed to be a health hazard for the consumer.

Portable toilets were mandated and that helped.

Seems like about 10-15 years ago, hand washing facilities were required by law.
Along with some other rules about how the food was handled going from bush to truck.

Since a lot of our tomatoes come from Mexico this time of year, the problem is probably located there.
Their health laws are not as stringent as ours from what I understand.

I heard yesterday that all the Kingman, Arizona markets had pulled tomatoes off the shelves and there are none to be found.

I'm glad I put in a veggie garden middle of March.
The tomato plants are doing well and it looks like not too long until some fruit is on the vine.

Several varieties of Cherry Tomatoes have produced a few fruits and there are quite a few green tomatoes, a few orange ones and the occasional red and ripe one . . . which my daughter picks and eats off the vine after rinsing it.

We have some peppers coming on, just waiting for some of them to ripen fully, but it's the tomatoes I'm looking forward to.

It's not too late to plant tomatoes and in some parts of the country just about the right time.

Get a head start, buy plants that are established in pots otherwise you'll lose a month or so by starting with seedlings.

There have been quite a few threads here on ATS about veggie gardens recently.
Lots of good info....

[edit on 6-6-2008 by Desert Dawg]

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Two words.. Migrant workers. They fail to practice normal toileting habits and take dumps in the fields where they work.

Salmonella lives in the intestinal tract of humans and animals, and is transmitted to humans by contact with the feces.

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 10:31 AM
link   
You probably have a good point there about using GM foods as a replacement.

That story reminds me of when british MP Edwina Curry said all eggs were infected with salmanella after a few were found. It nearly ruined the egg industry in the uk and was quite a scandel. Ms Curry ruined her political career and was sacked but shes been on tv quite a lot since so it didn't do her that much harm. It took a bit longer for the egg industry to recover if I recall correctly.

I'm with you guys: Food scares= cheap food and i have no qualms about stocking up my cupboards. I expect your statistically more likely to get hit by a car walking to the grocers than getting salmanella from a tomato anyway.

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 11:23 AM
link   
reply to post by grover

illness blamed on eating raw tomatoes?
is this a different way of saying that the tomatoes were not washed thoroughly before being eaten uncooked ?
or are we being led to understand that there is something that is inside of them under the skin so that it wouldn't matter how much they were washed that they will make us sick if not cooked?

if this is something inside them---how did it get past the usda inspectors?
i've tried to talk my wife out of eating chinese food products after the pet food poisonings and i have wondered about mexico's produce as well but the produce manager at the local supermarket says it doesn't matter where the vegetables are grown any more in north america its the same field workers all over and human waste makes up a large percentage of "fertilizer"----yum yum ?

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 08:20 PM
link   
I heard day before yesterday that local markets here in N/W Arizona were pulling tomatoes out of the produce section.

Today, lots of tomatoes in stock including Roma's which seem to be the ones creating the problem.

I bought some vine-ripened tomatoes so we'll see how it goes.

I don't expect any problems, but we'll see how it goes tomorrow....

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 09:07 PM
link   
Well... im glad that some people on here are using thier heads.

This is happeing more then ever.

I bet we couldnt name all the produce that has been pulled in the last 5 years?
I mean, what, tomatoes, olives, lettice, fishsticks, and those are RIGHT off the top of my head...

Here in California, where just about all US grown food comes from, is just about totaly picked by mexicans. Now im sure not 100%, but just about all of the 'pickers' are mexicans. The language of the california 'farm&food' industry is Spainish... the people who own the farms, have to speak Spainish, if they want to speak to workers...

Its not Joe, Steve, and David. Its Jose, Juan, and Jesus picking the fruit... the sign says "Wash Your Hands"... what it should say is, "Lavos los Manos"...

I think about a year or so ago, there was an e-coli out break, and the place that they tracked it down to was just north of where i lived, but what happen was that the workers had releved them selfs on the feild... and yea... E-coli salad for everyone... the place where i worked had to throw out all our letetace..it was awful...

I mean, i dont think we had these problems 40 years ago... i think this is a recent thing, all these posins in our food. Im young, and i wasnt around to see other then the last 10 years, but it has just seemed to come out of nowhere these last few years...

Now, on the artlilce... reuters is the worst... thats the Nazi news orginization... but then again, no 'major' news sources are made up of nice people... so whatever...

Heres a dumb line

The ages of those sickened ranges from 3 to 82 years, she said.
What does that mean... if you didnt know that salmonella was more prone to infect either the eldery or the children... so the ranges are probly something like 3-5 and 60-82... which is something like 10% of the population, but 3-82 is about 98% of the population... i guess they would want to maximise the 'fear effect' but... thats just the news...

Tomato types not linked to these illnesses include cherry tomatoes, grape tomatoes, tomatoes sold with the vine still attached and tomatoes grown at home, the FDA said.
*Slams head on desk* I am glad they had to point that out... 'Your tomatos at home are safe... los tomates in la casa esta bueno'

well, at least at the end of the article it says the

Infants, the elderly and those with weakened immune systems are more likely than others to develop severe illness
i guess they should save the most vitale info until the end...

But notice how the article doesnt explain, or even question why it happen, but only concetrate on the bad news in the story... but thats just the news...

new topics

top topics

join