It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Marijuana university offers 'higher' education

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 09:31 AM
link   

Marijuana university offers 'higher' education

www.breitbart.com

A private San Francisco area university dedicated to the study of the cannabis industry is giving a whole new meaning to higher education.
At Oaksterdam University -- so called after the nickname locals have given to Oakland -- students learn how to grow, harvest and cook marijuana, as well as dispense it to others.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 4/6/2008 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 09:31 AM
link   
I was a bit hesitant to post this in alternative news but hey, if a Marijuana University is not alternative, then I'm not quite sure what it IS. If nothing else, it's a good opportunity to have a laugh at ourselves as humans.

It is a bit of an odd approach to education though. Are these people just trying to make money with a novel approach to "education" or do they truly believe that their students will change our laws? I fail to see any real benefit for a student to enroll in this aside from the novelty of having the diploma...

(Please be mindful of the T&C prohibiting discussion of illicit drug use on the forum)

www.breitbart.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 4-6-2008 by SystemiK]

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 09:40 AM
link   

A private San Francisco area university dedicated to the study of the cannabis industry is giving a whole new meaning to higher education.
At Oaksterdam University -- so called after the nickname locals have given to Oakland -- students learn how to grow, harvest and cook marijuana, as well as dispense it to others.

What do you mean you don't see any "real benefit" in a student enrolling, SystemiK? It sounds to me like it will benefit the local community quite pleasantly indeed.

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 09:43 AM
link   
reply to post by SystemiK

It sounds like the benefits here are to walk away with a much better understanding of dosage and means of administering for different ailments.

I never realized til recently that most "recreational users" are "overdosing". However, it's kinda like caffiene, if you overdose, you simply don't get the benefits you would had you taken a proper dose.

Although I think this was an upstart university, I applaud them for taking a step toward sharing information openly, especially in face of the federal perspective which bans study in any form.

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 09:50 AM
link   
It's mainly for people who want to work at Cannabis dispensaries. Not for getting 'high' but for medical use. It's important that Cannabis dispensaries know their stuff.

As far as Oaksterdam, it's just a small area of Oakland where the dispensaries are that has been christened that.

Here's the Oaksterdam news site...
www.oaksterdamnews.com...

Education is always good, right?...

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 01:36 PM
link   
I was just looking over their curriculum, I notice a class called Cannabusiness 102. If only they had offered this class at my university my life might have taken a completely different direction.....

Cannabusiness 102
How to start a business in the cannabis industry will be covered through this course. The types of cannabusinesses this course relates to include a commercial grow, a dispensary, a cannabis edibles company, a clone retailer, a delivery service, a Measure Z club, or any of the numerous cannabusinesses still to develop in this industry. The process to obtain city, county, state permits and licenses are covered in detail. Standard business issues such as payroll and sales taxes, workman's compensation, health insurance, and other requirements for operating a business are covered as well. The instructors give firsthand experience and knowledge. Current political issues and local politics are explained.

new topics

top topics

join