It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

HELP! Need a summer salad recipe!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 08:23 AM
link   
I really need some help from all of you.
This weekend is our annual community BBQ, where all of our neighbors get together at the Community center, and everyone brings a pot- luck salad.
Well usually it's everyone's version, of potato, macaroni, or garden salad.
I WANT TO BRING SOMETHING DIFFERENT!!!
I need to make one big enough to share amongst about 50 people so bear that in mind.
Any ideas guys???

Thanks in advance..
AD

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 08:58 AM
link   
hmmmmm... how about a nice summer seafood and asparagus salad?

What you need:

-1 pound asparagus - fresh or i frozen - doesn't really matter but fresh is best. I have tried canned but not really the same
-Lettuce - size depends on how much you want
-1 cup shrimps - 250ml or i guess about 6 to 8 ounces and cut in half length ways. I guess you could also use crab or lobster etc
-2 hard boiled eggs cut in half
-cherry tomatoes cut in half - i recon around a cups worth
-1 smallish cucumber peeled and sliced
-Russian Salad Dressing (i added the recipe below)

What to do:
Cook the asparagus if not tinned till just tender then drain and allow to cool. Put the lettuce in a bowl or on a platter. Put shrimp (or other seafood i.e. crab or lobster etc) in the center of the bowl or platter and put the eggs, cucumber, asparagus and tomato around seafood. Top with Russian Dressing or other salad dressing like 1000 islands etc.

You can probably feed about 3-5 depending on portion size. Averages 4.

Russian Salad Dressing

1/4 cup chilli sauce - how hot is up to you but it gives a nice tang - use to taste
250ml (cup) mayo
1 tbs creamed horseradish or other prepared horsradish
1 tsp onion grated or very finely chopped or however you like it hehehe

Mix it all together and just spoon or pour over the seafood.

It really doesn't matter how you intend to present it. You can even chop up the lettuce leaves and mix with the seafood in a bowl and place the tomatoes, cucumber, eggs and asparagus on the top. You can do just about anything with it. Don't eat TOO cold just slightly chilled to keep it "fresh" but too cold sometimes does not taste as nice

Enjoyyyyyyy

EDIT: I didn't think of this one myself though pretty simple. I found it some time ago on the net and just saved it and reworded where it didn't make sense

Think of me when you much it LOL - IF you make it!!

[edit on 4/6/2008 by shearder]

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 09:04 AM
link   
How about a nice greek salad ? I usually do roma tomatoes, cucumber, red onion, kalamata olives and a nice feta cheese crumbled on top then dress it with a simple baslamic vinegar and olive oil dressing. Sometimes I add baby greens too. Yummy!
I can give you the specific ingredients if you're interested.

This one sounds like a nice one you can make in a large quantity too -

Greek veggie salad

[edit on 4-6-2008 by ImJaded]

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 09:07 AM
link   
reply to post by shearder

That sounds delicious

I may have to try this one, thanks!

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 09:58 AM
link   
reply to post by ImJaded

Most welcome ImJaded

It really is delicious! I have also just used 1000 island dressing with some freshly chopped up chilli's
like jalapeño etc. Really finely chopped!! gives the "onion" crunch and the chilli sauce "bite"

AH before i forget, sometimes just slice the eggs up too and place pieces all over... better than 2 or 4 large chunks of egg hehehe especially ifit is for more that 4 or so people! In fact one doesn't even have to add eggs!!

[edit on 4/6/2008 by shearder]

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 11:45 AM
link   
That sounds delicious shearder, but im not much for asparagus, the rest sounds awesome though. I might have to try that and substitute something in there.

AD, here is a recipe i whipped up for a bbq a couple weeks ago. It was quick and easy to scale for larger amounts. I just love foodnetwork. Here ya go.

1 box flavored couscous (garlic or Parmesan), cooked
1 can chick peas
1 red bell pepper, finely chopped
1/2 Vidalia onion, chopped
1 English cucumber, peeled, seeded, and finely chopped
1 tomato, chopped
1/4 cup fresh parsley leaves, chopped
1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup olive oil
2 to 3 limes, juiced

In a large bowl, toss all the ingredients with the olive oil and lime juice, to taste.

Source from Food Network

After i threw it all together it was missin something so I added a couple finely chopped, seeded jalapenos to give it some kick. A couple because i scaled it up to feed 20. Needless to say there were no leftovers.

Silver

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 12:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by ImJaded
How about a nice greek salad ? I usually do roma tomatoes, cucumber, red onion, kalamata olives and a nice feta cheese crumbled on top then dress it with a simple baslamic vinegar and olive oil dressing.

Oh i love a nice greek salad like this. I LOVE olives and a good feta cheese. If i don't have feta sometimes i cut up little squares of gouda cheese and throw it in. That's also very nice. And dressing hmmmm... i have used ranch over this at times LOL when i have no balsamic.

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Well my mouth is watering for sure!!!
Thanks guys..
Now, decisions, decisions..

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 11:55 AM
link   
I like a simple mozarella and tomato salad. Alternate slices of fresh "mootzarella" with slices of real ripe tomatoes. Mix up a vinaigrette of extra-virgin olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper. Pour over the top and sprinkle some chopped scallions over the top for garnish.

Peace

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 12:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Dr Love

yummy! I love bocconcini mozzarella in this also with olives

Perfect!

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by ImJaded

Hell yeah, olives in that salad is an excellent idea.

Peace

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 12:37 PM
link   
A very simple salad is one with very thin slices of avocado and red apple. Put some lemon on it so it doesn't become dark.
Then smash a clove of garlic in a bowl, put the fruit inside, salt, olive oil and vinegar. It's original and I've always been successful when making it.

Another very refreshing salad is "Taboulé". Pre-cooked cus-cus,
finely chopped red and green pepper, cucumber, onion, bot mint. Dressing: olive oil and lemon.

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Love
I like a simple mozarella and tomato salad. Alternate slices of fresh "mootzarella" with slices of real ripe tomatoes. Mix up a vinaigrette of extra-virgin olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper. Pour over the top and sprinkle some chopped scallions over the top for garnish.

Peace

Doc, I'm drooling over the keyboard...

posted on Jun, 9 2008 @ 01:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Dr Love

Sounds DAMN fine to me!! I think i will try that soon hehehe

i can just imagine that with some rare fillet steak whooooooo yeah baby!!

posted on Jul, 15 2019 @ 05:14 AM
link   
I believe that eating seafood is very healthy.
Therefore, I try to diversify my menu with a large number of seafood dishes.

Recipe For Crab Salad
You can use my recipe.

Ingredients
1 pound imitation crab meat
1/2 red onion finely chopped
1/2 cup celery chopped
1/2 tablespoon dill
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/2 tablespoon lemon juice
Salt and pepper to taste

posted on Jul, 15 2019 @ 07:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: LoSalad

I believe that eating seafood is very healthy.

1 pound imitation crab meat

Nothing healthy about that crap, if you saw how it was made you'd think twice about putting it in your mouth.

top topics

join