It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Popular Mechanics debunks alien video: Described as a hoax!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 06:04 AM
link   

Popular Mechanics debunks alien video: Described as a hoax!

www.popularmechanics.com

The latest alleged close encounter is of a new kind: Paranormal researchers, NASA geeks and even skeptical magicians all agree that the invasion of extraterrestrial evidence has gone over the edge with digital manipulation. Why that's not good for skeptics or believers—and why you've been watching a fake of a fake for almost a week.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 06:04 AM
link   
You would think Popular Mechanics wouldn't print this garbage, but they are. Saying it's photoshoped. I sense a coverup happening here, what do you guys think? it's a pretty convincing article so some may actually belive it. This magazine is distributed nationwide.

www.popularmechanics.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 06:06 AM
link   
Or maybe the video itself is garbage, like most people on here have been saying, and what popular mechanics is doing is exactly what's been implied as a motive for another mass fakery?
Possibility?

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 06:08 AM
link   
PS- Don't be so quick to accept everything you see or hear about as absolute fact.

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 06:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by alaskan
popular mechanics is doing is exactly what's been implied as a motive for another mass fakery?
Possibility?

well, PM's is a great magazine..it's the top scientific mag with tons of insights on gadgets, space travel and exploration. I always read that mag in HS, till I read this..makes them look ignorant that they would compare the hoax to the real deal.

Anyone with a Popular Mechanics subscription should cancel it. I would.

[edit on 4-6-2008 by jedimiller]

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 06:13 AM
link   
Make sure you edit out the maybe so it looks like I think I'm 100% right, it's a good way to make yourself a little bit more comfortable with the chance of being wrong.

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 06:19 AM
link   
I can't disagree that most everything you see related to UFO is probably fakes. But that does bring another question. What do you need to see for it to be real evidence? I think is important for people to look at what ever comes by and for the experts in the field to determine if it has been faked or not. I know that means who ever is in charge can just say they are all fakes or all real. But I don't want to get caught in the trap of not being able to see the forest because of the trees.

+1 more 
posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 06:43 AM
link   
Popular Mechanics is a joke. I have had this opinion ever since they did the 911 debunking. They did it in such a crappy manner. I would take what they say with a grain of salt.

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 06:44 AM
link   
whatever you think of this footage, if we ever see it, popular mechanics saying it is a fake because there are a lot of fakes about is just stupid. if they haven't seen the video either how the heck would they know for sure either way. just because there are about 20 red flags on this thing doesn't make it a golf course.

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 06:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by network dude
Popular Mechanics is a joke.

Now they are, but pre 00's they were a pretty decent mag where you could find articles on NASA, Air force and new Secret technologies. I still have some of the blackbird posters that came in the mag, also the corvette issue. I think PM's is just doing this to sell more magazines..they are starting to look like the inquirer.

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 07:12 AM
link   
My money says that this was nothing but a puppet. The story and what happened, plus how the alien moved, everything just seemed a little ridiculous.

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 07:18 AM
link   
Popular mechanics debunking a 737 engine prior 911....will never be read by me again.

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 07:42 AM
link   
reply to post by jpm1602

JPM
could you please explain or give a link to what you mean by debunking a 737 engine?

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 08:08 AM
link   
Popular Mechanics is ridiculous. Their supposed "debunking" of 9/11 is as much of a whitewash as the official 9/11 commisions report. What's more, ever since PM published their 9/11 debunk trash story, picked up and taken as gospel by the main stream media, they've suddenly been given some prominent status as the "authority" on any consipracy theories out there, and are the now go to guy.

Great, liars and dim wits are our go to people!

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 08:18 AM
link   
You know. The good thing about this article is that they don't straight out tell you it's a hoax..they do it slowly and intelligently. but from reading the entire article you get the sense that they printed that gargabe to debunk the video and the UFO followers. Making us all look like geeks and freaks. PM used to be a good source for scientific news, but now they have lost it entirely.

who's with me when I say we should write to PM and let them know how we feel? those suckers need a beating.. I mean come on, how do you compare the hoax to the real thing, when they haven't even see the video?

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 08:59 AM
link   
reply to post by jedimiller

I like the article to the extent that what they basically say about the types of evidence shown on youtube and other sites is probably fake. Until we finally have clearer proof such as an independence day type of visitation and a press conferences with these allegd beings, we will be skeptical.

I'm not looking forward to some DVD release as any proof and it seems more like a cult thing. If any visitors are really wanting to do this, they should cut into our broadcast networks rather than pick some random abductee or contactee they have found. By this time, even these alleged aliens seem to be hoaxers also.

Anyone ever see the old Kilroy was here?

en.wikipedia.org...

This alleged alien clip reminds me of kilroy and maybe these types of window visits also evolved into this by skeptics then also.

PM seems to be stating the obvious that many of these people are probably in it for the money and fame. Time (magazine?) will tell when and if it all finally comes out.

What would be your idea of a better disclosure? George Bush holding a press conference? Larry King interviewing an alien? alien interviews on Coast to Coast? Aliens jumping on Oprah's couch?

If aliens want to get their message out and the news media has been suppressing these, then maybe a video might be a way. But keeping it from being leaked on youtube before it's available seems very unlikely these days. And using youtube who might itself be suppressing anything like this may have also been done. Maybe they're trying to reduce the shock value when and if the real truth and disclosure finally come out?

In many ways, it seems as if some alien species don't want any disclosure and prefers it this way.

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 09:43 AM
link   
God forbid that Popular Mechanics ever pens a story that goes along with conventional wisdom and scientifically debunks a fringe theory or idea! Those bastards! How dare they echo basically the exact same concerns and questions about thise alien video that many right here on this very site have raised. They are a scientific entertainment magazine, therefore their job is to identify scientific facts and point out things that do not gel with the facts, explaining why they should or should not be dismissed as bunk. If you want to only see believer ego stroking and pandering to the fringe, then pick up a copy of Fate magazine, UFO magazine, or any of a long list of paranormal themed periodicals out there. Until the day comes when someone actually produces an alien corpse or a physical UFO which the scientific community can examine (obviously with public disclosure), PM will continue to debunk things like video and stills which can be very easily manipulated and forged.

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 09:57 AM
link   
First of all, this doesn't describe the video as a hoax. All it does is ramble on about how technology today makes it easy to stage a hoax. The title of this thread and the article itself is misleading.

Secondly, the video that Romonek, however it's spelled, has in his possession has not been released for public viewing. So it beats me how we're able to make a decision, hoax or not, based on previous videos.

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 12:37 PM
link   
It was my understanding that this Romanek video is the same one that keeps getting removed from youtube. The video is several years old and if it is the same one, then it's hardly convincing. In the name of full disclosure, I wholeheartedly believe in UFOs and ET visitation of Earth. I also, however, believe PM is a respectible publication and haven't ever taken issue with their reports.

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 12:41 PM
link   
maybe they are talking about that video that SO tried to pass of as the video????

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join