It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canadian Parliament Grants Asylum To U.S. War Resisters

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 10:00 PM
link   

Canadian Parliament Grants Asylum To U.S. War Resisters

rawstory.comnews

It urged the government to allow conscientious objectors "who have refused or left military service related to a war not sanctioned by the United Nations" to stay in Canada.

"Canada has always been a place which has welcomed those who seek peace and who seek freedom," opposition Liberal MP Bob Rae told reporters.

"This country should continue to recognize conscientious objectors, particularly to a war which international law has held to be illegal and which this country chose by an act of deliberate policy, chose not to join," he said.

(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 6/4/08 by niteboy82]

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 10:00 PM
link   
Good for them. Glad to see Canada recognizes this was a war sold on lies by a pathological lying administration, and thus illegal. Now I wonder if this admin is ever yanked up on war crimes, if any of these soldiers who were sentenced for defecting will be exonerated and cleared of charges for refusing to fight in a farcical invasion?

As many as 200 Iraq War resisters are said to be currently in Canada, many of them living underground.

A former US military intelligence sergeant who came to Canada in August 2006 after serving in Iraq is expected this month to be the first to be deported, said the War Resisters Support Campaign.

rawstory.comnews
(visit the link for the full news article)

*Staff Edit - Fixed Broken Link

[edit on 6/4/08 by niteboy82]

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 10:05 PM
link   
good for them... but I bet that border will be sealed tighter than george Bushes files on 9-11 and WTC 7.

Good to see canada still has decency and spirit to resist the USA and assist people with a view the government in the USA hate.

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 10:46 PM
link   
It's not their viewpoints we protect them for, it's their freedoms.

It doesn't matter if their own government has revoked their freedoms, we won't. It's a matter of principal. No matter how bad things get down there, we here in Canada will maintain the freedom of choice... ESPECIALLY when it comes to life or death.

We welcome anyone who opposes this war, regardless of your reasoning. It's your RIGHT to wish not to contribute to a war.

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 11:11 PM
link   
reply to post by johnsky

I am in the Army. I must say, we VOLUNTEER to join the Army. By that reasoning we should be able to leave at any point, just as we came in. This is my base ideal.

However, every last one of us signed a contract when coming in. I believe also in honoring your word, which you signed to the contract. This war has been waged for 10 years now, or similiar situations. Anyone in that time frame new what could happen when they signed.

On the one hand you have people who may oppose the war and therefore defect, on the other side you have people who signed a contract and gave their word then promptly left others who depend on them.

This blade cuts both ways. Had they been conscripted or drafted, I would defend them completely. As it is, I must remain nuetral. They SHOULD be able to quit... but they SHOULD honor their committment.

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 11:28 PM
link   
Thank you Canada I hope someday our country can return the favor in some way!!

I think you know that there are many US citizens who are simply not interested in global domination. We just want to work and raise our families in peace.

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 06:07 PM
link   
reply to post by BradKell

I agree with your viewpoint, but I'm glad the Opposition voted the way they did. Finally, someone grew some balls and stood up to Harper and his rotten Conservatives.

I also agree this situation is different than Vietnam and the draft. When you volunteer you should have to serve out your contract. But, with a war that is considered illegal by most of the world, it's a tough decision.

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dan Tanna

Good to see canada still has decency and spirit to resist the USA and assist people with a view the government in the USA hate.

now only if we have teh decency and spirit not to cave into US copyright law demands... that will be 1000 times more difficult because money is at stake(500 $ per download and will be deductible from normally untouchable until mature trust funds).

[edit on 4-6-2008 by sardion2000]

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheComte

I agree with your viewpoint, but I'm glad the Opposition voted the way they did. Finally, someone grew some balls and stood up to Harper and his rotten Conservatives.

I also agree this situation is different than Vietnam and the draft. When you volunteer you should have to serve out your contract. But, with a war that is considered illegal by most of the world, it's a tough decision.

I kind of agree but kind of don't. I am all for everyone having freedom, but like BradKell said, they knew what they were getting into. I am with someone that has been in a while and was in before this war coming here, but those that signed up after the war, knew that there was a 100% chance they were going over there. If you don't want to fight, don't sign your name.

Out West here it is hard to talk about that kind of stuff because alot of people here are conservative and figured that Canada should have rushed into Iraq along with the US. I would like for some of the guys that have served over there and saw the mess it was, come up here and explain to these people about his experience there.

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 06:20 PM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

DD, fix your link, please.

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 11:32 PM
link   
Dark men with painted faces stand ready in the dark to do violence on those that wish to harm you.

Just thought you might like that quote, very close to the Orwell in your Sig. A Drill Sergeant from my Basic Training loved that qoute, and I've had it in mind ever since.

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Isn't it interesting that the day after parliament voted on this, the GM truck plant in Oshawa closed with the loss of over 2000 jobs. Especially considering that only 16 days before, GM, in an agreement with the CAW, said that the plant would remain open.

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 11:22 AM
link   
today is a day i would never thought i would have seen in my life time

americans claiming political asylum from persecution from there own government

so much for `the land of the free` , that notion is now well and truely dead and buried.

edit: spelling

[edit on 5/6/08 by Harlequin]

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Im glad Canada has finally passed this. Its about time. I'm no fan of Harper and can't wait until he is voted out of power. I don't like the way he has Americanized our government and bows to his cohorts in the South. I wish there was more we could do as Canadians to bring not only our troops home but the US troops as well. There are other places in the world they are needed most rather than hunting down Al Queda members in mountain passes.

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Leo Strauss
Thank you Canada I hope someday our country can return the favor in some way!!

Start by making better beer!!! and bring White Castle up to Vancouver!!

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 11:42 AM
link   
All I can say is - Thank you Canada!

(sorry for the one-liner)

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 12:01 PM
link   
OMG I can't believe it... 'Harpy', as I call him, actually did something right for once!

But still, I can't wait to help boot his a$$ out of office next election!

[edit on 5-6-2008 by Rumrunner]

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 12:05 PM
link   
FINALLY, it is good to know that finally a western nation has the guts to stand up agianst the fascist genocidal imperialist policies of the US empire...

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 12:06 PM
link   

some those soldiers probably feel that the government broke their end of the agreement by asking them to fight an illegal war. if i sign a lease for an apartment i am obligated to fulfill that agreement. but if my landlord then says, "we demand you move to this smaller apartment and carry on with your end of the agreement unchanged", i don't think you could fault the tenant for giving them the finger. it's not an exact metaphor, but close enough i think.

i'm not saying that these troops are right or wrong, so don't flame me. just offering a possible alternative viewpoint to those who think they shouldn't have run no matter what.

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheComte

The war is not considered illegal by the U.S. Congress, the U.S. Courts, or the U.N. The "resisters" are people who enlisted voluntarily, and who want to exercise a one-sided discretion over the terms of their enlistment.

The Canadian government isn't really accomplishment much other than pandering to the left-leaning in Canada.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join