It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What if McCain Chooses Hillary For his VP?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 09:18 PM
link   
I am watching the coverage of tonight's puppet show, and it just hit me, what if McCain were to choose Hillary Clinton as his VP? Wouldn't THAT be an interesting twist in this whole continuing saga??? Is it even possible? Would she flatly turn him down? Is it politically "legal"? I have no clue, anyone know? I googled and found this interesting tidbit....

McCain lavishes praise on Hillary, says she's inspired American women

When a questioner at John McCain's town hall meeting earlier today in Nashville noted that the Republican was talking all about Barack Obama when Hillary Clinton was still in the race, the Republican nominee used the opportunity to pay tribute to his colleague from New York.

"Yes, Sen. Clinton is still in the race," McCain acknowledged to scattered laughter among the conservative crowd. "I have known Sen. Clinton, I admire her and I respect her. She has inspired generations of American women to believe that they can reach the highest office in this nation and I respect that."

www.politico.com...

Is he just courting her disgruntled followers because 1/3 of them say they would vote for McCain rather then vote for Obama or is he setting the stage for an upset? Opinions?

Edit to say, oops I spelled McCain wrong in the title!

[edit on 3-6-2008 by LateApexer313]

Mod Edit; Fixed spelling in title

Thanks FredT you rock!!

[edit on 6/3/08 by FredT]

[edit on 3-6-2008 by LateApexer313]

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 09:21 PM
link   
My guess is he is courting those supporters who flat out refuse to vote for Obama (like me).

As for whether he can actually have Clinton as his VP - I don't know. Not something I have ever looked up but now you have me curious so I am going to go scourning to see if I can find the answer.

Not that I think it will happen though.

VV

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 09:24 PM
link   
reply to post by ValhallasValkyrie

Yes, see if you can find out if it's even feasible, although I doubt he'd ever do it as well, can you imagine how riled up the Republican base would get over that?? They are already chapped about McCain being the candidate anyway.

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 09:28 PM
link   
Hillary and McCain are buddies. I thought of this a few weeks ago. If McCain runs with Hillary he wins in a landslide. He would get the anti-Obama vote and all of Hillary's vote.

Of course it's never going to happen. It is going to be Obama/Clinton 2008. You can bet on it.

One reason is because of their potential fund-raising power. Between the two of them they could raise $200 million in new money in the next few months.

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 09:29 PM
link   
I will either kill myself or move to Austraillia.

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 09:34 PM
link   
To answer your question -

Yes it can be done .. however the differences between the two parties makes it kind of difficult.

It has never been done.. I do not see it happening now.. but he could very well make her the offer and she take it.

I am not sure which is worse.. McCain with Clinton or Obama with Clinton.

Great.. now I am going to have nightmares tonight.

VV

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 09:37 PM
link   
reply to post by jamie83

Hiyah Jamie,

Yes, Obama would have to have even worse judgment then I think he does already, not to choose her as his running mate.

I am wondering though, still about this crossing party lines issue...the closest thing I can think of that has happened is Lieberman switching to an Independent...but as far as a running mate on the same ticket, I wonder if Hillary would have to switch to a Republican for this technically to work, even if she'd never do it?

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Wow so you looked it up?? And it can be technically done? Did your information say whether or not she'd have to change parties? Ack....both scenarios are frightening...this whole election has been a fiasco from start...and probably...to the finish!

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 09:46 PM
link   
OK - to answer before I go to bed -

The VP would not have to change parties however - he or she would have to be approved BY the party.. so the Repubs would have to approve of Clinton as the VP on the ticket before she could be made such.

Not something that would be easy.

VV

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Thanks for answering Valhallas, sleep well, and have no nightmares please, I don't want anyone having horrible political visions or scenarios dancing in their heads from this thread
Have a star for looking that up...thanks!

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 02:03 PM
link   
I doubt Clinton would humble herself into being even Obama's VP, let alone McCain's.....

I'm still wondering if McCain is going to choose my state's governor as his VP (Charlie Crist)....but Crist is probably too honest of a guy to tap.

With Obama as his opponent, McCain will pretty much be assured of victory...though personally, I'm doing a write-in vote for my preferred candidate...

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 02:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

And would you care to share who that write-in candidate is?

I think Hillary would take the VP scrap if it was thrown to her by Obama, but I doubt it will be...

It's early in the game though, I could be wrong, but I think if Obama tosses her the VP she'd be on it like she stole it!

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 03:34 AM
link   
If that happens I'm gonna find a hole and stay there, because the end is surely near.

I'm pretty sure it would take the gravitational pressure of the core of the sun to get them both in the white house at the same time, such is the awesome force of nature that repels them from each other.

Seriously though...no possibility at all. Ever. Really.

new topics

top topics

join