It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Humans May Have Come To New Zealand Later Than Thought

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 08:46 PM
link   
Later than thought

Radiocarbon dating of rat bones and rat-gnawed seeds reinforces a theory that human settlers did not arrive in New Zealand until 1300 A.D. _ about 1,000 years later than some scientists believe, according to a study released Tuesday.

Retired Maori Studies professor Ranganui Walker said the findings supported the oral history of the Maoris who claim they were the first Polynesians to arrive in New Zealand around that time. The Morioris, non-Maori Polynesians, have claimed they arrived earlier.

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 08:55 PM
link   
The maoris are going to know as they were there first.... damn people will find anything to argue about!

Suprising that the aborigionies didn't develop boats really and set foot in pre- history.

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 09:00 PM
link   
Howdy Dan Tanna

Scientist love to argue, finding something new leads to success

The Morioris, non-Maori Polynesians, have claimed they arrived earlier.

Give it a bit more time for more argument.

Often times the legends of tribes are wrong or information shifted for religious or political reasons.

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 09:08 PM
link   
Oh i totally agree but with strong oral histories of arriving some where new...

Well, I guess its so far past really its of little consequence who arrived first, unless there is some tribal rivaly still between them.

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 09:14 PM
link   
Its bickering

The Morioris, are still mad at the Maori for all but wiping them out and eating their ancestors.

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 09:49 PM
link   
Just to throw a spanner in the works

Lots of weird info regarding Celts/Vikings beating moriori to nz and a govt cover up.

d.webring.com...

Kilts.co.nz seems to be down today but try again later.. large amount of info on there in regards to this phenomena.

Of course they don't want people to know if it were true.. more BS land claims would come out of it but from Celts! hahaha

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 11:02 PM
link   
Celts huh, I'd give that a rather low probability. LOL

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 03:07 AM
link   
Waipoua Forest has been archeologically surveyed but the information is under an embargo until, I think, 2050.
There is more to this than meets the eye, but it gets very political very quickly.

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 11:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Hanslune

From what ive learnt, it has always been thought an never doubted that maoris came to New Zealand at about 1300 AD.

new topics

top topics

join