It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Text message from the future

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Maybe someone hacked the company?
Someone messed up at the company?
A major glitch?
Maybe the government is testing a new eavesdropping device?

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 06:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by eye open doors
Maybe someone hacked the company?
Someone messed up at the company?
A major glitch?
Maybe the government is testing a new eavesdropping device?

considering who i was texting with, i seriously considered the latter. but i know nothing about that kind of technology. he's on one carrier and i on another. but the area code was the same as his.

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 06:28 PM
link   
Well i would think more of less its a glitch or a hack.I would rule out future communication.

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 06:32 PM
link   
I don't know much about it either. However, it's always good to ask questions.

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by alienstar
Well i would think more of less its a glitch or a hack.I would rule out future communication.

and why is that?

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Im not much of a texter but dont u have the ability to go online from your carrier and reads the text that were sent?

[edit on 3-6-2008 by alienstar]

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 06:34 PM
link   

I would second that. There are websites now that offer the service of spoofing your caller id number (www.spoofcard.com and www.telespoof.com) and make whatever number you want appear on peoples caller id's....try it yourself for free. So I think that changing a date stamp on a text message wouldn't be that hard.

[edit on 6/3/2008 by Mad_Hatter]

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 06:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Mad_Hatter

Your probably right.I never thought of that.

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 06:40 PM
link   
Maybe through advances in technology we will have this ability and you sent yourself a text?

Did anybody get ANY messages through? It might have been John Titor trying to tell us something.

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 06:41 PM
link   
about like a month ago, i got a random text message from apparently area code 111, but I'm thinking it was from some random website.
And a couple of weeks ago i was taking a final when my phone starts ringing. I saved my phone number in my memory when i first got it in case i forgot it or something so it said "ME"
anyways, i was taking the test and it starts ringing. So i look at it, it has my picture caller ID, my name on it, and my phone number. So i freeze up. I let it keep on ringing. So when i got out of class, i checked my call log and it showed that there had been a missed call from me to me.
When i checked my most recent phone bill however, no such calls had been made from my number or received at such day and time. I thought i might have dialed myself but it's impossible because as soon as i dial myself, it sends me my voicemail as in where i check my messages and not leave a voicemail. Anyone have any ideas what could have caused that?

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 06:42 PM
link   
Text Message Spoof - also known as a SMS (Short Message Service) Spoof - Impersonation of another users contact information when sending a text message to a cell phone or PDA. The sender inputs the caller ID information they choose to be displayed on the receiving cell phone.

The specified caller ID information can be numbers or letters. For example the sender could specify that the recipient's caller ID shows an incoming message is from "The Pope" and the text message reads "Repent!"

Reasons for Spoofs?

* jokes
* scams
* pretexts (faking ones identity to gain information)
* To falsify account verification
* To remain anonymous
* To send a virus, worm or other malicious code

Text Spoofs can be sent through either web site interfaces or e-mail.

Web Sites: Historically, some cell phone providers allowed text messages to be sent directly from the provider's web site to their customer's cell phones. For example a user could visit www.VerizonWireless.com and send a text message from the web site to any Verizon customer. This allows for easy spoofing because the user can input whatever data they choose in the 'from' input fields.

More recently widespread are commercial text messaging companies that provide the service for a fee (although these services often offer up to the first 500 text messages for free allowing Spoofer a lot of free messages). These services overcome a small hurdle that e-mail Text Spoofers encounter. They simplify sending a text message because they negate the need for a Spoofer to know the recipients service provider - something an e-mail Spoofer will need. These companies will get the text message to the cell phone or PDA regardless which service provider the receiving device is using.

Some Commercial text/SMS service providers:

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by VIKINGANT
It might have been John Titor trying to tell us something.

That line cracked me up.

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mad_Hatter

I would second that. There are websites now that offer the service of spoofing your caller id number (www.spoofcard.com and www.telespoof.com) and make whatever number you want appear on peoples caller id's....try it yourself for free. So I think that changing a date stamp on a text message wouldn't be that hard.

[edit on 6/3/2008 by Mad_Hatter]

ok...now that's the start of the kind of info i was looking fr. thanks,

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 07:09 PM
link   
reply to post by alienstar

i believe i already mentioned most if not all of those.

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 07:34 PM
link   
Hi, well this has happened to me in the past, but not exactly, i had calls that don't show a number in the screen and can't be traced back, but i also had something else with text messages, it went like this:

- Phone rings, the screens turns on, and a message appears saying something like "Please call me, i need to talk to you" or "Please call", things like that, but the message is not saved on the inbox, in fact, the message disappears from the screen about two or three seconds later, it is not on the in box or in the deleted items, this has happened to me on two cell phones, one allowed me to delete items and send them to a deleted items folder, i don't remember which cell model but i think it was a Nokia phone.

- Phone rings, screen turns on, then nothing happens, no messages or calls, anything, it just stays there, this one i think could be because of some signal the phone caught accidentally that it shouldn't receive.

- Phone rings, i answer, nobody says anything, call is finished, no number is registered on the phone.

From all these the one that interests me the most is the first one, has anyone else here has seen or heard about something similar?

At first i thought i had deleted the message by mistake, but when i could not find it i started asking friends and then other people to see if they sent the message but nobody knew, and then nothing happened, i waited to see if i got another, but i did not, then a few days later it happened again, and it hasn't happened since then, that was about two and a half years ago.

Kai

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 09:25 PM
link   
reply to post by alienstar

That argument doesn't hold water. If I were to communicate with the past I would use the tech of then via the tech of now:
A telegram sent thru my time portal communicator (for instance).
And don't be too sure about cell phones still being around Mad_Hatter, I remember when they didn't exist (on a widespread basis anyway), and that was only about 15 years ago (as well as widespread internet).
I even vaguely remember when they were telling us that we were in for a new Ice Age because of global cooling (77-78)!

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 09:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Kaifan

I get calls from my message service that I have a new message, only my phone never rang for me not to pick it up. When I check the message, there is a hang up click, no message, and no number.
Personally, I think it is the phone company itself getting me to use up my minutes calling my message box, because I only spend about twenty bux a month or less on phone calls, and they want me to spend more.

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mad_Hatter

Originally posted by VIKINGANT
It might have been John Titor trying to tell us something.

200!
That line cracked me up.

Me 2.

On a serious note though, that spoofing stuff sounds a bit wrong in this day and age of identity theft and such like...

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 09:51 PM
link   

Technology my friend......since this day we all went digital just years back we were analog.Technology is suited for that time only.Just because they have text 10 years in the future,dont mean your todays cell phone is going to get it.
Just like tv...we are all by law going digital in 2009,that means the old tvs we have wont receive the signal and will be worthless to use.

They are issuing converter boxes so you can still have your same tv.

On topic, however, its probably someone playing a trick on you. I do suppose that the possibility does exist that it could be from the future, I doubt it was though. I'm sure we'll have the tech to send a simple text message back in time if we want.

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 10:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Daedalus24

That is a glitch that I have heard of before. The answer that I got about it was that they were doing maintenance to the voicemail system so it may have been down momentarily.

I have got 3 calls now from (000)000-0000 and each time there is silence on the other end. If I stay on it will remain silent forever so the call is active for as long as I have the phone off the hook. The phone co shows no record of that call on either my statements but there it was in caller id.
(wasnt there a thread around here about that?)

Weird about the text messages. If it happens again .. take a picture of it will ya?

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join