It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Text message from the future

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Or maybe from the past. Anyway...here's the situation (and I'm new-ish here so sorry if this is in the wrong place. let me know where it better belongs and I'll move it. Thanks.)

Last Saturday, I received a blank text message on my cell phone from the future. It was from 856-901-0321 and timestamped 12/6/19. I texted back a ? and then called the number the next day. Got no reply, and was told it was not an assigned number.

I, of course, having just seen the movie One Missed Call, leaped to the obvious conclusion. But I realize it's more likely a scam, a PR campain, a hoax, or a technical glitch of some sort or a server set to the wrong time or whatever. I found it bizarre anyway.

So I did some snooping, and, apparently, this has been happening to a few other people too. Here's what I've deduced as far as a pattern goes from the information I've found online so far about other occurences...ha.

* all blank messages

* all from 901 exchanges

* all from a year ending in 19 (2019, 2119, and so on...or 1919? lol)

* all from random area codes (maybe the last one texted to/from)

Here are the other places this has been reported...

answers.yahoo.com...

blog.psylight.ca...

800notes.com...

800notes.com...

and lol at this one...

SATURDAY November 25
The Future of Text
Your Week Ahead:

Dear Jonathan,
I received a text message dated 12.4.2019 today from a number that does not exist. I received it at 11:49pm, though my phone showed it arriving at 11:59pm. Could it be from the future? Thanks, Katy

Dear Katy,
Plenty of people could offer you a down to earth solution to this mystery but they may not be right. Even if a situation seems to have a logical explanation, it can still hide a surprising secret. I think it may have come from 2019. People, around then, will be starting to experiment with sending messages back in time. They are bound to make a few errors.

www.cainer.com...

If this has happened to you or anyone you know, let me know. If you have any ideas of what this might be or the significance of any dates or numbers, please let me know that too.

Any ideas?

[edit on 3-6-2008 by ~Lucidity]

[edit on 3-6-2008 by ~Lucidity]

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 05:43 PM
link   
text messages from the future would be like using the telegraph today

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 05:48 PM
link   
reply to post by alienstar

please explain?

do you mean they would be more likely to beam information directly into our heads?

if i were attempting to send a message BACK in time, I might use the telegraph. Would someone from the future not think to use whatever we communicate on today? Including text messages?

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 05:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by ~Lucidity

So I did some snooping, and, apparently, this has been happening to a few other people too. Here's what I've deduced as far as a pattern goes from the information I've found online so far about other occurences...ha.

Any ideas?

This might sound to be to simple of an idea, but why don't you call the company you have your phone service through and ask them about this?

They might have more information on the number.

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 05:54 PM
link   
.........but what if?? This is a fascinating thread. I would love to believe this, as it would infer that technology still exists in 2019.

The feeling of it? It's like a party favor, something to do when friends gather -- the ouija board of the future. I have to play with my cell phone now, see if I can set the date to a future time. Will report back.

Cheers

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Technology my friend......since this day we all went digital just years back we were analog.Technology is suited for that time only.Just because they have text 10 years in the future,dont mean your todays cell phone is going to get it.
Just like tv...we are all by law going digital in 2009,that means the old tvs we have wont receive the signal and will be worthless to use.

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 05:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Enthralled Fan

did that (primarily to make sure it wasn't one of those charge for call-back scams). they haven't a clue.

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 05:58 PM
link   
reply to post by alienstar

Sorry but I fail to see your point here.

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by argentus
.........but what if?? This is a fascinating thread. I would love to believe this, as it would infer that technology still exists in 2019.

The feeling of it? It's like a party favor, something to do when friends gather -- the ouija board of the future. I have to play with my cell phone now, see if I can set the date to a future time. Will report back.

Cheers

Right?

I wasn't even going to look to see if it had happened to anyone else...was going to just brush it off as a glitch or whatever. Boy was I surprised when I looked and actually found somewhat of a pattern.

Thanks.

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 06:00 PM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

I'd keep an eye on my phone charges if I were you,

something smells about that whole thing.

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 06:05 PM
link   
i think there is a more mundane but never the less interesting answer to your phone problem.

british intelligence said to have a 'no phone / no listed number / no service provider text message serivce' to send information through to its field people with an untraceable thus hard to intercept system.

what may be happening is a miss keyed number.

I have my own experience of this happening - it was even reported to the Police at northern Constabulary. My phone rang and i answered it - only to hear a commotion and sounds of people fighting. A voice shouted out a call for assistance and a grid reference number and a fox trot 4 reference. I hung up and tried to retrieve the number - it was a blank field. So i called the police.

The Police tried and failed to trace the number as well, even taking my phone to look at.

Fox trot 4 is a military reference to 4 people being on foot. used with a grid as they did (Red 4) it led me to the conclusion that it was a miss dialled 'spook' call.

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by alienstar
text messages from the future would be like using the telegraph today

Somehow I don't think cell phones will be obsolete by 2019...that's only 10 and a half years away.

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 06:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by toasted

I'd keep an eye on my phone charges if I were you,

something smells about that whole thing.

Yes...that's why I called my phone company. I also communicated with some of the other people who had received similar messages months ago and they didn't see charges.

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 06:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Dan Tanna

interesting...thanks.

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 06:12 PM
link   
This sort of reminds me of the time that the Blare Witch Project came out, and there was all these people on the net trying to say it was real.

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 06:13 PM
link   
reply to post by eye open doors

that's why i included PR campaign...might be the start of one. so far it's not ringing any bells with people though.

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Maybe its the latest version of spamming. They send their unsolicited advertisements to the past, present and future to make sure they bug the crap out of you.

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Has it happened more than once?
Have you called your phone company?

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 06:18 PM
link   
you may be right...it's probably the tip of that iceberg.

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by eye open doors
Has it happened more than once?
Have you called your phone company?

just once so far. i think one person out of the list of maybe 10 said it happened to them twice.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join