It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If Your Lawyer Wants You Executed

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 04:55 PM
link   

If Your Lawyer Wants You Executed

news.yahoo.com

In 1990, Curtis Osborne, a small-time coc aine dealer and addict, killed two people in a dispute over $400. His crime revulsed the town of Griffin, Georgia, one measure of which was the bigoted remark a local inmate reported hearing at the jail: "That little 'n-word' deserves the chair."

As repulsive as the remark was on its own, far more disturbing was the fact that the person alleged to have uttered it was Osborne's own court-appointed lawyer.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 04:55 PM
link   
The defendant in this case is obviously guilty, as he has confessed to the murders. He deserves punishment and I am not trying to debate that. However, I wonder how many people in this country have had court appointed attorneys that simply do not care, or (as in this case) strongly feel that their "client" is guilty and let's them "hang".

In America, even the lowest of the low have the right to a fair trial. This is one of the cornerstones of American society. Unfortunately, part of a fair trial is having an attorney who truly represents you. As we all know, attorneys do not come cheap, and a lot of people are forced to using a court appointed attorney, who may or may not give a flying f*** about you.

Anyone have any experience with the legal system and court appointed attorneys?

I have no solution to this problem, however, I thought this article brings some interesting issues to light.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 05:02 PM
link   
reply to post by kawz1

Court appointed lawyers. It's just like hireing the fox to guard the chicken house.They work for the DA,you think your going to catch a fair break from them?
We have the best justice system that money can buy.Ask the rich people

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Court appointed attorneys are often overworked and underpaid. That's not an excuse to do a shoddy job, but it does tend to make them seek a plea bargain with the DA most times, instead of considering the guilt or innocence of the client.

And remember that the judge is the one who appoints the court appointed attorney. So the atty doesn't get a choice of clients, as does the private atty.

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 05:31 PM
link   
where i come from they are referred to as PUBLIC PRETENDERS not public defenders. not once have i ever heard a good story about any of them . have you?????

[edit on 3-6-2008 by ironman433]

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 05:33 PM
link   
If Your Lawyer Wants You Executed....then I would suggest getting another lawyer...and really though...who opts for a court appointed lawyer for a murder case??? That is ludacris...

Court appointed lawyers are not really good for anything...
Marijuana??? 5 years? Sounds good, we'll take it!

A court appointed lawyer will leave you standing there with a dumb look on your face if you actually expected them to help you.

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by ironman433
where i come from they are referred to as PUBLIC PRETENDERS not public defenders. not once have i ever heard a good story about any of them . have you?????

[edit on 3-6-2008 by ironman433]

Yes, I did. I heard of one who fell down a flight of stairs at the courthouse.

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 06:33 PM
link   
This is actually one of the best arguments for the abolishment of the death penalty. Even though, in this case it may be warranted anyway.

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 07:55 AM
link   
I was living in Punta Gorda FL when Hurricane Charlie passed through. after FEMA paid my then wife and I, we went out an bought a car, well the DMV was closed due to damage and so I decided to drive the car home.

The whole town was under Marshall Law and I was arrested under suspicion of driving a stolen vehicle, (even though I had a bill of sale on me)

So I get to the jail and they had me fill out paperwork for a Public Defender.

When I got to court they even tried to have me plead guilty to grand theft auto. I laughed at the Public Defender and fired him on the spot, right in front of the judge.

I then went to the judge and demanded that the case be thrown out immediatly. He asked why and I gave him the Bill of Sale.

Long story short, after a phone call to the previous owner the judge threw out the case even though the DA wanted to continue with charges of driving without a tag. The judge said that the reduction in charge did not cover the origional screw up of the police arresting someone for a crime they did not commit.

Public Defenders suck and their should be a drastic change in the law.

new topics

top topics

join