It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Madame Tussauds Defends Plans for Wax Hitler Statue

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Berlin Mayor Klaus Wowereit had urged the museum to carefully consider whether to include Hitler and, if it does, to ensure that he not be shown as a "cult figure."

In a statement, the museum said Hitler's rule "stands for an important, though also appalling, turning point in the development of modern Europe."

"To ignore Hitler's role in this era would allow a strange gap to develop in the German and Berlin history that we show from (19th century chancellor Otto von) Bismarck to the present day," the museum added, stressing that Madame Tussauds is "nonpolitical."

Madame Tussauds Berlin, which opens June 9, will feature many prominent Germans, including former Chancellor Helmut Kohl, current Chancellor Angela Merkel and scientist Albert Einstein — who left Germany shortly before Hitler took power in 1933, never to return.

The museum's statement Tuesday said market research showed that Hitler was among the figures both Berliners and tourists believe significantly marked German history, and visitors expect to find him at the new branch.

The museum said it would portray Hitler "with regard to possible sensitivities and far from any glorification," as he would have looked shortly before his 1945 suicide.

he likeness will be displayed behind glass, preventing visitors from having their pictures taken with it, and the exhibit will be constantly monitored by video cameras.

Fox News-Madame Tussauds

Also at:
MSN-Wax museum defends planned Hitler display

France 24- Hitler statue

Picture of statue can be seen at:
Javno- Bestseller

Is this just a ploy to raise attendance or do you think they are actually using this for historical accuracy? I want to believe the latter. I think it is important for our children to see all history good and bad. A tleast they are being sensitive to not "hype" up the statue. Your thoughts?

**If this is a repeat thread please delete, I looked and did not find any but...we know how it goes**

new topics

join