It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Water bottle Light Bulb??

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 01:32 PM
link   
I found this video on LiveLeak I don't know if it's true or not but I'm going to try it out. I think it just reflects the sun from out side.. but I don't know. Going to check more into it.

Water Bottle Light Bulb

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Interesting find! I'm going to give this experiment a try as well. Heaven forbid we find ourselves in some kind of catastrophic situation. Having a battery free source of light would prove to be invaluable.

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Trying the experiment right now. I too believe it is only reflecting the light from outside. Notice how the tops of the bottles are all sticking out the top of the roof?

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Ok, experiment over....I put the bottle outside for a few minutes, brought it back in and ZERO light.

All it's doing is scattering the sunlight....Pretty useless "lightbulb" at night.

[edit on 3-6-2008 by bismarcksea]

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Hmm interesting, but I think its more of a day-light amplifier than a stand-a-lone lightbulb replacement. Has anyone heard of this clorox liquid they mention on the clip?
It sounds like a cleaning agent...

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by bismarcksea
Ok, experiment over....I put the bottle outside for a few minutes, brought it back in and ZERO light.

Ha!

Next time maybe you should use a bigger bottle, you might be able to store more light!

No use at night, of course, but daytime, in a sealed room, no batteries. Of course it's just scattering light.

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 03:03 PM
link   
If this were true..... < Cough > Every Swimming Pool in the world would glow in the dark. So would the garden hose water. ( 0.5 ppm chlorine residual )

Its pure BS.

Nice try.... < choke , spit, cough >

I need a drink of 'non glowing' water...

Blitzkreigen

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by WatchRider

It's bleach. It makes the water murky and it scatters light better.

To those who think the OP is meant to store outside light for later use inside, you make this thread worth reading. Thank you sooo much.

[edit on 3-6-2008 by Rasobasi420]

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by WatchRider
Hmm interesting, but I think its more of a day-light amplifier than a stand-a-lone lightbulb replacement. Has anyone heard of this clorox liquid they mention on the clip?
It sounds like a cleaning agent...

Clorox is nothing but Laundry Bleach.... 5.25 % strength.

Commerical Grade is 6.25%.

Its just a BS video... truly now people....

Blitzkreigen

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 03:20 PM
link   
It's too bad no one here seems to have a clue about portuguese language (and there's nothing wrong with that).

This happens in Brazil, and one of the FIRST things they say in that piece of news video is that it IS about scattering light and that ONLY works when the sun is up and shining... for sealed or no-windowed rooms, saving eletrical power in daylight by NOT turning on regular light bulbs when necessary.

No one in the video is claiming magic or out-of-this-world results.

And the adding bleach stuff, is just to make water as transparent as it can be, and also to prevent a very dangerous mosquito (aegis Egipt, or something like this) to reproduce.

Peace

Edit to add: sorry, I posted before HEARING the video.. despite the Spanish dub, it really happened in Brazil.. I watched this on local news last month.

[edit on 3-6-2008 by Sator]

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rasobasi420
To those who think the OP is meant to store outside light for later use inside, you make this thread worth reading. Thank you sooo much.

So much for my grand experiment!
Time to start stocking up on batteries!

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 03:43 PM
link   

I think it just reflects the sun from out side.. but I don't know. Going to check more into it.

I did notice that.. duh... I just thought he used some weird chem or something like that mountain dew experiment. (which is false too... Glowing Mountain Dew)

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Wow, um I think everyone should watch this video again.

No where in the video did I get that the water bottle itself was producing light. The bottle is in a hole in the roof, and the sunlight is amplified in the room below. Its just like a sky light in your home. But when the sun goes down the light does too.

[edit on 3/6/08 by Rhain]

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Rhain

Exactly!!! I just thought that maybe he used some different chemical to make the light amplify better. I have some "Solar Pipes" at home and they work ok but not that cool. I was just wondering what made it better? Just the water?

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Blitzkreigen

Clorox and chlorine are two totally diffrent chemicals!

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by jamiros

No he uses the bleach to keep the water from getting murky.

Quite a useful adaptation if you have a tin roof.

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 09:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Rhain

I tried to make this work. Obviously, it doesn't work like you would think. Yes, the bottle sticks through the roof and acts as a kind of skylight. All the clorox does is prevent algae from growing in the bottle and clouding the water with dark green gunk. I used to make something like this when I was a kid. I would use clear shipping tape and attach the bottom of a plastic soda bottle to the working end of a flashlight. It made an awsome diffuser so I could hide under the covers in my bed and read comic books all night without getting caught!

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 09:29 AM
link   
We installed four tube style skylights in our Central California house.

Two in the kitchen made it very nice, two in the family room made it too bright for watching TV during the day - which was ok since we seldom did.

My friend built a 30' x 30' metal building for a shop and had a couple of 4' x 8' skylights put in.
We did wire the shop for eight double 4' flourescents, but they are never on in the daylight.

Plenty of light and I find myself thinking we need to turn the lights off when we exit the shop - even though they are not on.

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 09:34 AM
link   
home made skylights? that IS what we are looking at right?

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 01:36 PM
link   
It had me going for a sec. Ha!
But is it possible to really make something like this? Like when a cuddle fish illuminates itself? Could we make something the is self illuminating using the same chemical reaction as the cuddle fish? hmm..

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join