It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GM to Close Four Truck Plants, Shift Output from Trucks to Cars

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Yeah rock it really does matter on the gas station Ive noticed that to Ive been running tests to see where I get the best milage and Hess is not one of them. BP and Amoco seem to get good milage and shell decent. Exxon decent also by my award does go to BP/Amoco.

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 02:29 AM
link   
I'm always amused at the old "SUV drivers are compensating for small peckers" crowd. Did you ever stop to think that maybe some of us 4 wheel drive truck owners live in areas that are only accessable by 4X4 several months out of the year? Did it ever cross your mind that there really aren't any cars made for a 6'4" 300 lb man to comfortably drive? Hell, I can't even get my size 16 boot under the console to drive my wife's Saturn, let alone sit up straight in the damn thing. Big trucks do actually have a place in the world, and not everyone that buys and drives them is doing it to say "Hey everyone, look at me!" Please remember that before you try to label all SUV drivers as unit size compensators.

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 09:36 AM
link   
reply to post by burdman30ott6

No, just Hummer drivers.

Come on friend, you know it's true.

I have zero issues with big trucks. Couldn't care less. I am no environmental fascist, or Birkenstock (SP?) wearing, long-hair.

I was just stating the obvious (at least to me and said in a light-hearted, hope I make you laugh kind of way): Hummer owners are compensating.

For something.

Remember, I was the guy taking liberty laughing at Pirus owners who don't realize the nickel batteries used in their cars are very nasty to make and produce large amounts of very noxious by-products that are very harmful to the environment (disposal of by products, fumes, gases given off ant creation, etc). It’s been said the environmental impact for just creating the batteries causes more harm than a Hummer (literally) belching CO2 into the atmosphere for ten years, at highway-speed consumption of gas!

[edit on 4-6-2008 by SlightlyAbovePar]

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

I actually toyed with the idea of buying a new F-150 because of all the cash back incentives they had to offer. Figured I could get one with monthly payments around $190.

But here's the dealbreaker ...

If you look at Ford's site, their new F-150's come with a 26 gallon fuel tank. Okay, 26 gallons, x $3.89 /gallon = $101.14 each time to fill it up.

If I drive conservatively and fill up only twice a month then I'm still paying $202.28 a month for gas, versus $65 when gas was only $1.25 a gallon. No matter how I try to crunch the numbers it's just not practical or economical.

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by SlightlyAbovePar

No, just Hummer drivers.

Come on friend, you know it's true.

[edit on 4-6-2008 by SlightlyAbovePar]

Yeah, this is pretty much GM giving all the Hummer owners the bird and telling them "Your insecure needs are costing us too much money. See yuh!"

I'm loving it!!!

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Never been much of a 'motor head' but I broke down and got a Cobalt last year. She's been real good to me so far. Maybe the mileage is off by 1 or 2 miles per gallon, but other than that this car has saved me quite a few bucks.

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 03:50 PM
link   

If you have a big unit then you dont need a hummer. Big hummer = small unit at least thats what Ive always been told. Or is it Ferrari = small unit. Hmmmm

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 06:16 PM
link   
OK, I jumped the gun on that, I guess. I have no problem with humvees and would certainly have considered buying one when I lived in Arizona if it hadn't been for the fact that down around the border parking one anywhere outside a garage is almost like damngling a piece of steak in front of a starving dog. Of course these days the joke is on the car theives as they probably end up shelling out a couple hundred bucks just to fill up the tank to get the thing across into the Mexican chop shops.

Now living in western Washington I can't see owning one because of the ridiculous wheel base width. Seriously, on the desert they're a lot of fun, once you get onto mountain trails with them you really limit your options since most of the trails you're on are barely wide enough for a normal vehicle.

There are times I envy you little guys that can comfortably drive a Prius or an Echo. I'd definitely enjoy being able to do it, at least to commute back and forth to work. My Jeep runs me about 4 gallons a day and that's using a park & ride to catch a bus across the lake and into Seattle. My neighbor has an Element and makes a similar length trip on about a gallon and a half. Considering gas was $4.35 yesterday where I live that adds up to a savings of almost $3 grand a year for him (assuming gas prices were to stay at $4.35) and I admit I'm envious of that.

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 08:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck

American small cars blow the big one.. when they make a car cheap, it falls apart in a year.

Let's do a case-in-point:

My personal vehicle: 2003 Old Alero (Malibu clone), bought new. 2.2L 4-cyl, automatic.

Currently has ~114,00 miles. Averages 30-32 MPG, mixed city/highway rust-belt commuting.

Maintenance, besides oil/filter changes:
Tires and brakes at 50,000
Temperamental wiper motor at 75,000
Front wheel bearings at 110,000 (thanks MN freeway salt)

Not perfect, but it didn't fall apart in a year. And plan on running it until around 2010 when the gas/battery electrics get into the market. That, or until the taps run dry & we're all walking anyway.

GM couldn't hardly give these away at the time, and I bought it at a great price. Bet the General wishes they had these on dealer lots today....

[edit on 4-6-2008 by gb540]

top topics

<< 1   >>

join