It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GM to Close Four Truck Plants, Shift Output from Trucks to Cars

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 10:38 AM
link   

GM to Close Four Truck Plants, Shift Output from Trucks to Cars

www.bloomberg.com

June 3 (Bloomberg) -- General Motors Corp., struggling to return to profit amid record gasoline prices, said it will close four truck plants, make more small cars, and may drop its Hummer brand of large sport-utility vehicles.

Gasoline exceeding $4 a gallon represents ``a structural change, not just a cyclical change,'' Rick Wagoner, chief executive officer of the largest U.S. automaker, told reporters today before its annual shareholders' meeting in Wilmington, Delaware.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Looks like GM is now following Ford and cutting production of trucks and SUV's.

I saw this comming I must say. I live along a car dealership street with every brand of car/truck. 2 weeks ago, the GM dealership that sold only trucks and SUV's went out of business. That same week, the humvee dealership followed suit, and is now a Smart for 2 dealership, ironicly.

This morning I noticed the Landrover dealership is at half inventory, and Ford's and Toyota's large trucks are in low numbers on the lots, many are in a storage lot further down the street.

I sure picked the wrong time to buy a truck!

www.bloomberg.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 6/3/08 by Cyprex]

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 11:03 AM
link   
It gets even worse... the pricing on trucks and suv's will only go up based on supply and demand.

I'm going to get a bicycle with a very large basket on the front

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Hummers will no longer be produced? THE GODS ARE TRULY KIND!

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 11:32 AM
link   
It's the sign of the economy, my friends. A few years ago, when the economy was slightly healthier and the unemployment rate a little lower, SUVs and big trucks were a status symbol. Now with gas prices going through the roof, it's a status few people can afford.

If you stop and think about it, we should have seen this coming a long time ago. People are starting to wake up and reality is setting in. Money is getting tight, and people need to save where they can. Especially at the pump.

Let's face it, big vehicles are the new dinosaur facing extinction.

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Cyprex

Hmmm smart move. I wanted a Ford F150 .. but ah .. even I won't pay that much for gas. Instead I bought a wee lil car.. Scion XD and get on average 33-35 mpg.

It's a toyota.

American small cars blow the big one.. when they make a car cheap, it falls apart in a year. Toyota can make them cheap, but still stylish and durable.

I like my Scion.. you would have thought American companies would learn by now. Good ridence Ford and GM.

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck
reply to post by Cyprex

Hmmm smart move. I wanted a Ford F150 .. but ah .. even I won't pay that much for gas. Instead I bought a wee lil car.. Scion XD and get on average 33-35 mpg.

It's a toyota.

American small cars blow the big one.. when they make a car cheap, it falls apart in a year. Toyota can make them cheap, but still stylish and durable.

I like my Scion.. you would have thought American companies would learn by now. Good ridence Ford and GM.

Your Scion is a Korean car SOLD at Toyota dealerships. They where so cheaply put together that I ended up buying a Chevy Cobalt after I test drove both.

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Yeeah.. It's a Toyota.. Scion is owned by Toyota.. all the parts are Toyota.. the Engine even has in big letters TOYOTA and all the spare parts are.. you guessed it... TOYOTA. I don't give a damn where it was put together, so long as it's reliable.

Which it is.

Nothing has broken on it, it runs perfectly, I get awesome gas miallage, and the nifty accessories are cheap and good quality. For 15k it came with all the goods. Can't beat that.

I owened a Cavalier before this car. It was a piece of shat. I can't name a damn thing that didn't break on it, from the fuel pump to the master brake cylinder.. it wasnt worthy to be called a car, I simply refered to it as my pos.

A Cobalt is a more expensive Cavalier, the same old piece of crap being bandied about for an over priced pos. I will never buy a Chevy again.

Cobalt.....

My scion would kick your Cobalt's back side anyday.

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by bismarcksea

Did you know that the environmental impact from making the batteries for a single Prius is greater than a "Hummer" on the highway for 10 years?

Don't believe me? Investigate for yourself.

P.S. I didn't say the raw burning of gas, in gallons. I am talking about the very messy business of making the batteries a Prius uses.

Self edited for snipiness

[edit on 3-6-2008 by SlightlyAbovePar]

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Yeeah.. It's a Toyota.. Scion is owned by Toyota.. all the parts are Toyota.. the Engine even has in big letters TOYOTA and all the spare parts are.. you guessed it... TOYOTA. I don't give a damn where it was put together, so long as it's reliable.

My scion would kick your Cobalt's back side anyday.

I stand corrected, Scions are indeed Toyotas.
However, your Scion kicking the cobalts back side is a BOLD claim.

Scion: 128 bhp, 1.8L, Gas I4 32 (mpg)
Cobalt: 173 bhp, 2.4L, Gas 4-Cyl 32 (mpg)

If Scions are so great, why is Chevy able to get the same MPG with more displacement and horsepower?

Like I said, I almost bought a Scion, but was turned off with the entire roof of the car being made of glass with only a cheap rollout cover for only the front half. It's lack of power was another huge turnoff.
Another thing I noticed was that the Cobalt came with ALL the goodies standard while I would have to pay extra for the same in the Scion. In all fairness, I was looking at the "car" version of the scion.

I would extend an offer for you to whoop my tail, but I traded the Cobalt for a Monte SS.....and thats not a fair challenge to you.

[edit on 3-6-2008 by bismarcksea]

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by SlightlyAbovePar

Did you know that the environmental impact from making the batteries for a single Prius is greater than a "Hummer" on the highway for 10 years?

Don't believe me? Investigate for yourself.

P.S. I didn't say the raw burning of gas, in gallons. I am talking about the very messy business of making the batteries a Prius uses.

Self edited for snipiness

[edit on 3-6-2008 by SlightlyAbovePar]

I agree! My distaste for the Hummer more involves the self important A-holes that buy them rather than the actual vehicle.

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 12:41 PM
link   
We agree!

They are like giant, rolling "I have a small pe***" compensators.

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Scion: 128 bhp, 1.8L, Gas I4 32 (mpg)
Cobalt: 173 bhp, 2.4L, Gas 4-Cyl 32 (mpg)

[edit on 3-6-2008 by bismarcksea]

Just to prove a point, do not go by the manufacturers mpg numbers. Test it your self. I trust the way CR does it.

Cobalt: 24 mpg overall in CR's tests
Scion xB (AT): 30 mpg overall in CR's tests.

How CR Calculates Fuel Economy

Consumer Reports' overall fuel economy results are calculated by an equally weighted average of city, highway and one-day trip mpg ratings. CR's city mpg tests are stop-and-go driving simulations, which have 18 stops, a total of 4 minutes of idle time, and speeds up to 40 mph. CR's highway mpg tests are run on a section of highway near CR's testing facility. Two testers make eight 5-mile runs at a constant 65 mph. The tests are run in both directions to limit the effects of wind and grade differences. CR's one-day trip test represents a mixed driving cycle. Five different engineers drive vehicles back-to-back on the same day over a 31-mile route that includes 26 percent freeway, 11 percent highway, and 63 percent stop-and go-driving conditions.

[edit on 6/3/08 by Cyprex]

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Mine is an xD not an xB ....

Half the size.

It has the same build as a new Toyota corrola, but lighter body.

It averages 34mpg according the rating, but I drive only highways and the MPG Average meter usually stands at 35-36mpg.

In cities its usually around 31mpg.

I notice I get better mpg going east then driving west, only slightly though lol.

Anywho, its an economic car and thats all I care about.

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

Hey I got my Toyota Yaris baby and I love it. $35 to fill it up and gets 35 miles to the gallon. GM needs to wake up the SUV story is over at least until gas prices get back to manageable and I dont see that happening anytime soon. The Americans should of been the first with hybrid and electric cars but no they are way behind the japs and their sales show it.

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Hmmm .. I considered the Yaris.

I didn't like the centered control panel if I remember correctly..

And I needed something more manly looking lol.

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Hmmm .. I considered the Yaris.

I didn't like the centered control panel if I remember correctly..

And I needed something more manly looking lol.

When you have something like mybigunit you dont need a manly looking car
I dont mind the center console little weird at first but is kinda cool. Its actually quite a practical car. Not as nice as my 750li or ls460l but hey economy has changed and the yaris works well.

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 04:16 PM
link   
"Gasoline exceeding $4 a gallon represents "a structural change, not just a cyclical change,'' Rick Wagoner, the largest U.S. automaker's chief executive officer, told reporters today before its annual shareholders' meeting in Wilmington, Delaware".

Structural change?

Somebody please inform the poor misguided CEO of GM, that $4 gasoline is simply the result of a 'spec' driven oil bubble. Congress gonna fix it

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 05:20 PM
link   

I notice I get better mpg going east then driving west, only slightly though lol.

Funny you say that, I noticed the same thing where I live. I think it could be just a traffic pattern, but found one other comment on this doing a quick google search.

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 07:05 PM
link   
Well I filled up before driving from Dayton to Columbus.. and it averaged 36 mpg. Then I topped off in Columbus before coming back to Dayton, and I got 32 mpg. Every time you fill up the avg mpg meter resets to tell you the avg mpg per fill up.

Which brings me to another note, I notice when I fill at BP I get less mpg then when I fill up at Marathon or Meijers lol. Ive tried it all to get the best mpg .. using Premium (stupid.. stupid me..) did not make a difference at all.

Also I notice I get better mpg while driving with the air conditioner on compared to open windows.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join