It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fight Club Pub.

page: 648
<< 645  646  647    649  650  651 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2009 @ 10:10 PM
link   
*sees the neon FCP sign being dismantled*

*hops up on the bar for one last time before it too is carted off*

All good things come to an end and an end to a good thing this surely is.

Not as much of good-thing-ending as it would have been prior to this place becoming akin to an average chat room, but neverthless an unfortunate demise. It is understandable why this small death has come to pass; there has been a trend of profligate posting of banalities, of which we are all guilty, and for which we will all now lose something that was dear.

It is no small thing to engage in these debates, and to have a place to socialize with others who also make themselves so vulnerable and intellectually stripped bare is part of the process of being able to do it. Anyone who says otherwise lies.

It will be interesting to see how the debate forum functions when anyone who disagrees with a postion you are assigned has the liberty to mindlessly berate and challenege you in a free-for-all social setting. I imagine it will be off-putting at the least and most likely create such a hostile setting -- with so many controversial topics generally being debated at any given time -- that we will see a drop-off in interest in debate from both the seasoned and inexperienced.

I would happily see the additional points go away, which I am pretty sure would cut down on the mindless chatter, but if you make it public you might as well do away with it all together.

TWISI

posted on Apr, 5 2009 @ 10:11 PM
link   
Flipping the last page....

posted on Apr, 5 2009 @ 10:19 PM
link   
What the HELL is going on?

Fighters are arguably some of the best and most valuable members on ATS. Look how many of them are mods.

Don't we deserve a little more INFORMATION than "the FCP is moving to BTS?"

Why? Whose decision is this? If there's a problem with posting the reasons and history, then u2u us. There are only about 30 active fighters.

And what the heck .. who shut down a debate and why? I thought we had a little more respect from ATS than this. I think we deserve a little more respect from ATS than this.

If established debates can be shut down without anyone being told why and the FCP can be kicked to the curb for all of BTS to trash, what's the point in being a fighter? I'll certainly consider resigning if this is how we are going to be treated.

Bad Form, Intrepid and whoever else is responsible for this BS.

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 12:31 AM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

WHAT?

WHEN?

why?

huuuuu

edit:
just second heike.s wise words in every litle regard!!!
even if the mere stuff is chit chat in the pub it helps me to get a feeling for my opponent
and it is a safe haven for fighters

this safe haven helps me to concentrate on my debate, i know i can talk here and don.t have to deal with a "clown" who doesn.t know the difference between nice smack talk and serious attack

good morning

conspiracy!

[edit on Mon, 06 Apr 2009 00:39:19 -0500 by orange-light]

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 02:03 AM
link   
It's probably my fault - as soon as I get involved in anything I enjoy it's always "improved" etc. a little while later

The lack of explanation is slightly troubling and I guess we'll have to see how things go.

A benefit of the FCP being for fighters has been the ability to see one another as human beings not just "opponents" which is, I think, a fundamental principle of formal debating. Too easily debate can become conflict where one sees one's opponent as merely that. Civil debate avoids that, and debates don't deteriorate into the ad hominem nonsense that ATS is full off. I look forward to rolling my eyes when a plethora of self-proclaimed "chosen-ones" insert their own particular brand of nuttiness into the pub.

A lot of the conversation here may be nonsense, but that nonsense is very important to keep debating civil.

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 03:45 AM
link   
FCP moving to BTS?

Why?

If it ain't broke don't fix it!

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 05:56 AM
link   
I'm sorry to say this, but IMO this will only lead to the demise of FCP.

FCP is not and never should be open to all - I know this sounds elitist, but as fighters, we have earned the right to post here.

Open to all, the complaints will go up, the smack talk will get out of hand, and the debate forum (of which we should rightly feel proud) will decline, simply because of negative influences from those who want the rights of a fighter, with none of the responsibilities.

I hope this doesn't happen, but IMO it is only a matter of time...

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 05:59 AM
link   
I enjoy having FCP here. Yes, it is chit-chatty at times, but so what? There are restrictions on who can post here, so it is not like the whole of ATS is chit-chatting on the main site. It is the folks who put a lot of time and effort into debates that are chit-chatting (at times), setting up debates (at times), and discussing debates (at times).

It's well rounded to include intellect and humor.

I am staying a fighter and I will continue to debate, no matter where the FCP is moved. But, I think (as seen) that ATS risks losing some great intellectuals in the debate forum as they see the move as a sign of disrespect.

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 06:29 AM
link   
Congratulations to Peacejet for a great debate win! Great job by both TML and PJ.

And another excellent showing by the judges, too - the round-by-round pointed feedback is really interesting. There's several subtle points of logic in the judging statements; fascinating.

Good morning Pub, Fighters!

Happy Monday?

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 06:30 AM
link   
Congratulations to Peacejet for a great debate win! Great job by both TML and PJ.

And another excellent showing by the judges, too - the round-by-round pointed feedback is really interesting. There's several subtle points of logic in the judging statements; most interesting.

Good morning Pub, Fighters!

Happy Monday?

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 06:41 AM
link   
[edit on 4/6/2009 by CA_Orot]

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 07:26 AM
link   
Morning guys....

So it looks like they didn't take my suggestion to just close the place down altogether.

Oh well....

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 08:15 AM
link   
My opening is up in my newspaper debate.

Ball's back in your court, TheMythLives.

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 09:22 AM
link   
Oh snap, a move to BTS? I get extremely freaked out around strangers though. What do I do in this situation:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/df49d657781f.jpg[/atsimg]

I'm so confused...

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 09:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Irish M1ck

Seems legit.

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 11:08 AM
link   
hi beack from school

still confused

where are we?

congrats to peacejet for the win of an excellent debate
and both fighters for a very enjoyable and educating debate!

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 11:24 AM
link   
reply to post by skeptic1

Skeptic your up again!

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 11:28 AM
link   
reply to post by TheMythLives

I don't want to!!!

But, I will......

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 12:22 PM
link   
My first reply is up in the newspaper debate.

Back to you, TheMythLives.....

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 04:40 PM
link   
reply to post by skeptic1

Skeptic your up, I tried to answer your 3rd socratic questions, but I was not sure if you were referring to private websites, online BLOGS or news websites. So I did my best to answer it, If it did not come out the way you needed it to, just repost it in your reply and I will answer it.

Your up! @_@

DEBATE

[edit on Apr 6th 2009 by TheMythLives]

top topics

<< 645  646  647    649  650  651 >>

join