It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fight Club Pub.

page: 589
<< 586  587  588    590  591  592 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 10:50 AM
link   
reply to post by nyk537

Been there, done that.

Without the blood and death, that is.

[edit on 3/19/2009 by skeptic1]

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Heike

Heike! There you are. There was some talk around here yesterday of the women staging a coup and taking over, but I don't see how we can even contemplate it without you.

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Oh, I'm around. But the car quit on Hubby yesterday and I had to go pick him up from work (30 miles from home in the opposite direction from my workplace), which made for a very late night, and then I had to get up at 5:30 this morning to take him to work. Rough hours for an old gal; I'm TIRED!

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 11:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Heike

30 miles....he could walk. (only kidding)

Nice of you to drive him back and forth. The last time our car needed repair I had to stay home and take a vacation day.

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Glorious spring sunshine here.

The flowers are out and the temp is 16 celcius - a bit of a chill wind, but all the flowers are coming out.

I was down at Morrab Gardens earlier taking pictures of the lovely sub tropical plants there.

Roll on BST, and when the sun gets higher and stronger there will be some lovely views.

I might even post a few on the media site

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 01:14 PM
link   
*comes in does a jig*

*takes off her bandolier of shot glasses and heaves it at The Vagabond*

Woo-hoo!!! I made it to the end and I don't think I have anything to be ashamed of!!!!!

*grabs the Maker's, hops up on the bar and REBEL YELLS!!!!*

[edit on 19-3-2009 by TheWayISeeIt]

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by americandingbat

I'm 5'8" so I don't particularly need the extra height. But I'm told I seem shorter than I am

And yes, barefoot is also wonderful.

*wonders whether this convo bolsters Super's case or orange's case*

[edit on 3/19/2009 by americandingbat]

5' 8" and nothing better than a wonderful pair of high stillettos - my favs are 4 inch

and super and me are talking about shoe SHOPPING not shoe wearing

Originally posted by Ian McLean

Originally posted by orange-light
ian is sane?

I believe you mean "
". Sarcasm becomes you, orange.

don.t know what i meant in the early morning

anyway working on my diploma in sarcasm

so it was a good start

*smiling is the best way to show your teeth to your opponent

twisi
i am not natvie
but i would write

you, me and the easter bunny

adventure of the day:

came home by 6pm
couldn.t open the door
it was somehow locked although all lockes were unlocked
little orange and me tried for 15 min than i asked a neighbor who also tried for another 15 min to unlock it without destroying it

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by TheWayISeeIt

now lets try
we ´will have a chance by now

and sorry twisi i answered xyour uestion again
i thught 587 was the last page of the pub
didn.t got it that there were more

edit:
one for you one for me

[edit on Thu, 19 Mar 2009 14:49:59 -0500 by orange-light]

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by TheWayISeeIt

Although this is not a comment on the strength of the arguments and thus not necessarily relevant to who won (I'd call it even money- though I won't analyze why), I definitely would not say you have anything to be ashamed of.

As far as style goes,
You were better organized, had a very authoritative and in-control tone, your references seemed relatively impressive, and you were overall pretty good, although I think you sort of sank to my level a bit when i stopped organizing in mid debate.

Strategically,
You presented a pretty diverse range of arguments, which can be advantageous, but to do that you have to remain very conscious of how you maintain your organization and you have to be careful about word economy so that you can address all of your arguments to a sufficient depth without sacrificing rebuttal (which you should emphasize a bit more).

Tactically,
You should attack socratic questions, not defend against them.
Here are the most advantageous answer scenarios:

1. You give the answer your opponent did not believe you could justifiably give, and you justify it. This usually involves disproving a false premise in your opponent's deductive logic and should be made the most of.

2. You give the answer that your opponent wants you to give, and point out that you are doing so, then turn the logic against his argument. This is usually just a minor point- a fire and forget barb at your opponent which makes you seem generally smarter and in control.

Rendering a question irrelevant and answering it is neutral.

Dismissing a question as irrelevant or escaping the need to answer is generally the least advantageous because it seems to be a defensive posture rather than an aggressive one.

I'll cap this off this evening. Not sure when exactly. Maybe we can dry run the informal debate idea while we wait for judgement day.

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by The Vagabond

Very cool of you to post that! It is, without question, the most helpful advice I have gotten since I started, and if you really think somehow we are even-money? I'm gonna very busy pickin' up feathers to adorn my head with.

Sending you thanks, appreciation and respect!
TWISI

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 05:51 PM
link   
PS, everyone should do as I say and not as I do. It's no secret that I often abandon the jab and pin all my hopes on one good uppercut.

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Well, I'm 5'11" (maybe 5' 10" as I get older) in bare feet. Even in flat shoes that makes me 6 feet tall, so I refuse to wear heels. Besides, I've already had one episode of plantar fasciitis from wearing cheap shoes, so I'm picky now. I wear Birkenstocks, Crocs, my Ariat boots, and very rarely a pair of high-arch good support tennis shoes.

Fashion be damned, I want to be able to walk if I happen to live to be 80 or 90, and I want to be comfortable. I once worked in a nursing home for a while for supplemental income while I was going to college, and I'll never forget the poor little old ladies who were virtually crippled and couldn't walk except in heels or on their tippy toes because their achilles tendons were shortened.

Heels may make a woman's legs look attractive, but is that really more important than health and comfort? As far as I'm concerned, they rank right up there with corsets for being torture in the name of beauty.

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 06:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Heike

I like a good pair of heels as much as the next gal, but my life does not depend on shoe shopping. I much prefer my tennis shoes to a pair stilletos.

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Well, I don't wear heels every day, actually when I'm at school I don't wear them at all. (I cant stand seeing girls wearing stilletos to class - yeah as IF those are going to help your marks).

Honestly, I wear a pair of black Chuck Taylor's every day to class, and ONCE in a while I'll wear my heels out to dinner or something. Don't get me wrong - I have quite a few pairs of heels just waiting to be worn since I don't work at that pompous hotel anymore. But mostly I'm in sneakers, or in slippers when I'm here in my jail cell (which I of course mean dorm room).

I totally drool though, over a nice pair of heels.

- Carrot

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 07:02 PM
link   
reply to post by CA_Orot

I like them for the proper occasion, but I can't see wearing them daily. My poor feet couldn't take it. And, when I shop, other things catch my attention.

....removes some lightbulbs from the corners....it's too bright in here.....not enough shadows......a little dimness provides a better ambiance.....

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 07:05 PM
link   
reply to post by skeptic1

Quick questions from the makers of Tofu - has anyone seen Lucid Lunacy around? I see that he hasn't signed in since December 10th.... Anyone have contact with him outside ATS??

Looks around for Pickled Herring

We're all out at DATS....

- Carrot

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 08:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by CA_Orot

Quick questions from the makers of Tofu - has anyone seen Lucid Lunacy around? I see that he hasn't signed in since December 10th.... Anyone have contact with him outside ATS??

:shk:

I tried for a bit when he disappeared: I got in touch with a Lucid Lunacy but it turned out to be a different Lucid Lunacy (male, about the right age, California, "alternative" interests, though it did surprise me that he was a Goth in Myspace life). He told me that he thought he knew who I was trying to contact, and that he had that person on his friends list and would forward my message, but that was the last I heard

I was thinking about adding the tournament bracket image to the Fighters MATS group page but wanted to get some input before I go ahead and do so. I opened a discussion thread for it here.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 01:53 AM
link   
morning

begining of spring but temps dare down to winter again

no further coment on the freezing creature in front of this computer

in a short while i have to ride my bike for about 6 km - must be 4 miles?

with temps down to -2°C
brrr

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 03:01 AM
link   
Hi kidz,

I have another embarrassing synopsis of today's events posted for your enjoyment.

www.belowtopsecret.com...

Miss you guys.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 03:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by schrodingers dog
Miss you guys.

FYI - We miss you tooo!!!!!

ADB - I tried googling him
but to no avail.... I really hope everything is alright.

- Carrot

new topics

top topics

<< 586  587  588    590  591  592 >>

join