It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fight Club Pub.

page: 569
<< 566  567  568    570  571  572 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 04:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ian McLean
reply to post by americandingbat

Careful, or you'll get "Fairy Tales Mean Magic Was True", or "The Little Light In The Fridge Knows When I'm About To Open The Door".

The mods are that kind of snarky.

Reminds me of the final leadership exam I had to take in the RAF for promotion to SNCO...

I thought it would be leading a unit across the assault course, or leading a platoon during war games.

Nope, none of that. Instead what I got was:

"Discuss (for 15mins, in front of the officers' panel) the pros and cons of life inside a ping pong ball"

Never in history has anyone ever spoken more seriously about the evilness of corners or the benefits of minimalism.

I reckon my mate got off easy with "The Spork : the finest culinary utensil in existence?".

Good times

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 07:24 AM
link   
Morning guys!

How's everyone doing today?

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 09:11 AM
link   
reply to post by nyk537

Good morning NYK. Pretty, crisp, morning out here. Just went out for coffee, and watched the sunrise. Very clear deep blue, gradually turning to a whole gradient of purples, then all sorts of shade of pretty yellow and reds on the horizon. So nice to wake up early, and yet not have to drag my butt into work today!

Originally posted by 44soulslayer
"Discuss (for 15mins, in front of the officers' panel) the pros and cons of life inside a ping pong ball"

What a great topic. I suppose, then, that a test of leadership is the ability to confidently expound on anything, with strength and conviction? And not get flustered when, after 13 1/2 minutes, one realizes that there's only so much that can be said about ping pong balls?

And to amusingly follow on yesterday's topic, it "forty-four", right, and not "four-four"? Or perhaps "two score and four"?

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 09:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Ian McLean

Any morning where work is not an issue is a great morning in my humble opinion.

Unfortunately I sit here locked up in my office with a wonderful view of the side of another building.

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 09:19 AM
link   
reply to post by nyk537

I'd prefer your spot right now.

They are ripping up the parking lot right outside my office now, so there is dust and dirt and incredibly loud crunching.

I feel that there will be a headache in my future....possibly by lunch.

:shk:

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 09:24 AM
link   
reply to post by skeptic1

Ah yes.

There's nothing quite like office construction to really set the mood for a productive day.

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 09:33 AM
link   

You got it, its an excellent way to train a person's public speaking skills. I think it largely depends upon which one of the three Trivium axes you most align yourself with. Personally I lean most on the Rhetoric axis, and as such I believe that style and presentation in public speaking outweight content. Crazy, abstract topics are the best way to train in rhetoric because you can focus almost all your energy upon delivery. It's epic fun too

And for the record its fourty-four (as in the calibre). Though I do quite like the sound of "two score four" though... bears a certain weight of history.

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 09:34 AM
link   
reply to post by nyk537

I believe that picture falls under the heading of "percussive maintenance"

Not recommended for electrical items - but I clearly remember from my childhood, adults banging the TV to try and make the reception clearer

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 09:50 AM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

Hey Doggie, we miss you too! It's more fun when you are around!

And I think I speak for most of us when I say that we appreciate VV being gracious enough to accomodate your need to sleep.

(To 'o the hat to Visible Villan)

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 10:19 AM
link   
reply to post by TheWayISeeIt

Actually, I'm exactly at 10,000- the debate forum is the only place I'm aware of where all members have the same character allowance regardless of their status.

My count was originally over, but I checked for that when I pasted it in and ended up altering the tail end to make it fit. That's why there's a period missing from the last sentence.

If you use the quote feature to check, the quote tags will add 15 characters, which are subtracted from the end, meaning you should lose the last quote tag and seven characters before it.

(PS, I think the reason the MS word count came out lower is probably because ATS regards a line break as 2 characters, but I don't think MS Word counts them.)

[edit on Thu 12 Mar 2009 by The Vagabond]

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 10:26 AM
link   
reply to post by The Vagabond

Whatever. The only reason I mentioned it is when I hit 'quote' and then the space bar to see what your char. count was, it stops at:

"Till next time, know this: this idea will not coex"

I don't understand what you are saying about adding and subtracting 15 and 7 and I doubt anyone else does either.

I will just make my posts so that the character count thing works, as I understand it to work and the only way it works for me, which is limiting me to 10k period. No mysterious math.

[edit on 12-3-2009 by TheWayISeeIt]

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 10:34 AM
link   
The built-in character counter on ATS doesn't work if you disable JavaScript, which everyone should do. When I checked Vagabond's post, it was under 10,000 characters, though the last sentence was cut off. I always go by the character count of the original text, counting bbcode and URL links as part of the total. I suppose an argument could be made that only readable characters should matter, and long URL links shouldn't count against the limit. It's sort of a moot point; I don't think the rules should be that strictly enforced. If a post is 10 or 20 characters over, no big deal in my opinion. It's the principal of fairness behind the rule that's the important thing.

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Agreed. It is just news to me that there is someway to get around the character count mechanism, and I would think news to many in here as I often see folks stressing about the 10k limit.

Hey Ding! I think we've got another 'issue' here for you to take up with Gatuo!

[edit on 12-3-2009 by TheWayISeeIt]

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 10:50 AM
link   

It's very simple.

The word quote is 5 characters. the brackets on either end are 2 characters per tag, then you've got the backslash on one of them. So when you click the quote button to check character count, and the computer adds quote tags to the post, that increases the count by 15 characters.

(quote)(/quote) = 15 characters.

Deletions for overage come from the end of the post, automatically.
So
(quote)10,000 Characters(/quote)
Will become
(quote)9,993 Characters

I'm telling you that you screwed up when you tried to check the count.

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Except you forgot that the 'quote' button also adds the text "[i]Originally posted by The Vagabond[/i]". So subtracting 15 characters is inaccurate.

Hmm, I really should be working on my next reply. Minutia's fun, though.

Edit: Oh, and the forum software counts 'newlines' as a character, too...

[edit on March 12th 2009 by Ian McLean]

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 10:59 AM
link   

And I'm telling you that all I know is that I hit the edit/quote button and your sentence is cut off with the character counter showing you are at 10k.

That is, I am willing to wager, how at least 80% of the debators understand the character counter to work. This math thing and how to circumvent the counter by disabling java script is news!

News I would think all judges need to keep in mind from this day forward as appreantly now they are going to have to load every post into MS Word since that is the new criteria for length and not the ATS post counter.

I really don't care if you went over a few words, and it if you say you didn't so be it. I am only pointing out that there is some magical way you know how to get around the counter that most of us do not.

Our sentences get cut off when the counter says 10k...

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Actually, MS Word undercounts as we have already discovered (it reported 9800 and change for a post that even I say was 10,000).

The obvious solution is for the debate mod to use the edit feature (which you dont have for my post and couldn't possibly have used- you used QUOTE- which I already explained artificially lengthens the post and causes part of it to be cut off).

The edit feature displays the post exactly as the poster had it before posting, and pushing any key will cause the cutoff of any excess that was pasted or accomplished with Java (assuming the mod has his java on).

So I'll thank you to join the other 80% of us before you impugn my integrity.

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Good catch. Looks like a bit more than 7 characters get ommitted (I never actually use the quote button- I prefer the tags- hence the mistake).

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 11:40 AM
link   
By my count, The Vagabond is at exactly 10000.

The edit feature really makes it easier to ascertain as there are no add ons et cetera.

And for the record...TV is historically the most stingy character checker I have known; he started the posting of character count trend (I think) back when the character count was 800 (Imagine trying to do these debates with only 800 charcters guys...
).

Anyway, these does seem to be a silly issue to be having for a few reasons...first, the semper and I check (TheMythLives is a bit more than a sentence over on external sourcing in his latest and probably will be edited for it). It is always a good idea to copy/paste your argument into the reply to field and then press the space bar as this will give you your exact count (the edit function works in the same fashion).

Two...the discrepancy (if there was one and as described above) is a matter of several words...the difference of which would not have contributed or detracted from the argument if it was removed...and vice versa.

And guys...please be careful when debating the rules as motivated by a percieved slight in an active Fight...we are situated in an imperfect communicative medium and as such an observation could be interpreted as an accusation...please let semper and I handle the rules...
...though by all means if you do think a breach has occurred bring it to our attention...

As you were...

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Ooooooh Ian you've got 3 mins to post your reply or else....

Nah I'm just kidding. Take your time mate, I'm not a stickler for timing anyway.

I'm not gonna post until you do, regardless of when (even in a week's time if you want
)

new topics

top topics

<< 566  567  568    570  571  572 >>

join