It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fight Club Pub.

page: 510
<< 507  508  509    511  512  513 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Hi people!

Hey how many of you are going to be watching the state of the union address?

I imagine that not many here on ATS will be watching... but I thought I'd ask. I'm going to see it. I want to see what Obama's tone is going to be like now that he's President.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by schrodingers dog
Photographic evidence - you ARE a chicken-plucker!

Total lies and disinformation.

I protest!

I have never in my live, except that one time "experimenting" in college ....

Oh, you said plucker.

Never mind.

(Whenever I expel whatever is in my mouth... lol's happen)

*assumes 'pork-chop-in-the-pound' posture*

[edit on 24-2-2009 by TheWayISeeIt]

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 06:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Frankidealist35

Possibly double posting because I didn't yesterday and then felt like I missed an opportunity to say
Frankie.

Also, to thank you for the 411. Do you know what time it is airing?

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 06:22 PM
link   
reply to post by TheWayISeeIt

9:00 est.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 06:24 PM
link   
reply to post by TheWayISeeIt

I'm pretty sure that the state of the union address is 8:00 PM EST.

Wait, nvm, I guess it's 9:00 PM.

I want to see the legislation that he's going to propose. During the state of the union addresses the President usually introduces important legislation to congress.

[edit on 24-2-2009 by Frankidealist35]

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 06:46 PM
link   
I believe this is not formally a "State of the Union" but an "Economic Address." New incumbents to the modern presidency rarely give a SOTU straight after inauguration though recently there has been the practise, President Obama is repeating, of addressing both houses billed as "Administration Goals" or "Budget Message".

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 06:48 PM
link   

This isn't the State of the Union; it's being called the "State of the Nation". It is an address to Congress. It should be focused on the economy and Obama's budget proposals.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Can't I still call it a state of the union address?

They have all these different names for things anyways it's hard to keep track of them all...

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 07:05 PM
link   
Here are direct links to live CSPAN streams, so everyone can watch without have to subject yourselves to the horrors that are Windows Media Player or RealPlayer:

C-SPAN Live Stream
C-SPAN2 Live Stream
C-SPAN3 Live Stream

I recommend VLC Media Player for Windows, MacOS, and Linux.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 07:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Ian McLean

VLC rocks!

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 07:21 PM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

NAMCLA + "drag queen" smiley = SDogs new look.

Classy.....

[edit on 2/24/2009 by skeptic1]

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 07:22 PM
link   
reply to post by skeptic1

Her name was Lola ...

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 07:49 PM
link   
That's quite the avatar SD.

Edit to add:

Umm .. Schro .. You didn't forget to use protection, did you??

[edit on 24-2-2009 by Heike]

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 08:30 PM
link   
Is anyone else watching the state address?

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 08:34 PM
link   
Not me, obviously. I was busy googling for chicken dogs.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 08:48 PM
link   

I was watching until c-span froze up on me. It was pretty much what I expected anyway. "Everything sucks because we were all short-sighted and greedy and not thinking about the long-term health of the economy so now we need to put even more of our great-grandchildrens' tax dollars to work for us now." Yeah, that'll work.

[edit on 24-2-2009 by Tuning Spork]

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 08:50 PM
link   
Sounds accurate to me.

Try the news channels, the address should be on those.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 08:56 PM
link   
I'll have to look up the text of the Hatch/Kennedy legislation, but I think the most significant thing I heard was the call for a broad and direct federal Carbon Tax. The rhetoric was something like "implemented using market forces". I'll have to check the transcript.

Edit: Ah, here it is:

But to truly transform our economy, protect our security, and save our planet from the ravages of climate change, we need to ultimately make clean, renewable energy the profitable kind of energy. So I ask this Congress to send me legislation that places a market-based cap on carbon pollution and drives the production of more renewable energy in America.
Transcript

So, how does the 'market' place a cap on carbon pollution? By bowing to unaffordability. The role of Congress in ensuring that happens? Implementing that unaffordability via taxation.

[edit on Feb 24th 2009 by Ian McLean]

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 10:01 PM
link   
I liked Obama's speech.

Bobby Jindal's response was horrific in my opinion. I thought it didn't give me any additional incentive to support the GOP...

All he did was bring back all the Democrats to keep bashing the GOP. Politics as usual.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 10:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ian McLean
So, how does the 'market' place a cap on carbon pollution? By bowing to unaffordability. The role of Congress in ensuring that happens? Implementing that unaffordability via taxation.

Precisely.

This is Nancy Pelosi's wet dream as she stated it outright to George Stephanopoulos some months ago; to make gasoline so expensive for consumers that they cry loud enough to somehow (and this is where the magic happens) inspire automakers to make more fuel efficient cars.

In the mean while, of course, the high cost of fuel will tank the economy even further because we don't yet have the facility to run the engine of commerce on unicorns and renewable rainbows.

new topics

top topics

<< 507  508  509    511  512  513 >>

join